Quantcast
Mix my tracks! (Just for fun) - Page 4 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mix my tracks! (Just for fun)
Old 21st May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Alright,
With the help of ez135, I think I'll be able to post some long tracks.
The only thing that worries me is the copyright issue!

I don't want to get my songs stolen...
So I'll work something out for protection, then I'll post a full song with ez135,

Simon
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stisse
Here's mine

Hope you don't mind me cutting a bit...

Stefan

PS. Mixed with Senn HD600, in case your speakers throw up... I have no clue how they translate.
Hey pretty cool,

I'm listening on my laptop speakers right now, but i like the edits
Deleted c40a31f
Hey, great thread! I thought all the mixes were interesting and a few were outstanding. (Jon Craig's and Dr. Delta's to name a couple )

And as others have said, really nice tune and excellent recording quality!
Kush Audio

🎧 15 years
SOMEONE had to color outside the lines...

gregoire
del ubik
Attached Files

ubik-slutzremix1.mp3 (2.58 MB, 515 views)

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by u b i k

gregoire
del ubik
Cool remix!!

I was practising a new mixing technique tonight, which I think resulted in my best version of this song so far. At the end of the session I mixed down the song and now I post it here. I noticed that the drums are a little too quiet in the beginning, but overall I think I made some progress tonight.

Here it is...
Attached Files

Web Mix - (practise remix).mp3 (879.3 KB, 591 views)

Old 22nd May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Here's a quickie.
Attached Files

henchedout.mp3 (582.7 KB, 583 views)

Old 22nd May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Another try :-)

All tracks has individual been processed thru a G1176/G-PEQ combo for testing (thanks to Freeze)
Mixed on Hr824 (sure it sounds bad on your monster K+H/Adam speaker )

1176fun.mp3
Old 23rd May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
RainbowStorm,

Nice job. This mix is really big and surrounds the listener.... also showcases the lead guitar. All the others are really great too in their own way, but yours has that "surrounding" quality to it - if that makes any sense.

BTW, I read another post of yours on another thread and you talked about "soundfield consumption." From reading what you were saying, I knew exactly what you're saying. The only hard part is GETTING THERE. Mixing is difficult, and getting the soundfield consumption on the drums or the vocal is difficult. Do you have any more info on it? Did you read about that somewhere? I'm just curious.... Thanks!

Also, have to say nice job to Ubik. The weirdly processed perk underneath plus what you did to the electric guitar in the background adds a nice flare.

j
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Heres a go from me
Attached Files

APD Mix v1.mp3 (732.7 KB, 394 views)

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman
RainbowStorm,

Nice job. This mix is really big and surrounds the listener.... also showcases the lead guitar. All the others are really great too in their own way, but yours has that "surrounding" quality to it - if that makes any sense.

BTW, I read another post of yours on another thread and you talked about "soundfield consumption." From reading what you were saying, I knew exactly what you're saying. The only hard part is GETTING THERE. Mixing is difficult, and getting the soundfield consumption on the drums or the vocal is difficult. Do you have any more info on it? Did you read about that somewhere? I'm just curious.... Thanks!

Also, have to say nice job to Ubik. The weirdly processed perk underneath plus what you did to the electric guitar in the background adds a nice flare.

j
Thanks a lot!! I have a lot of theories surrounding recording and mixing. I've read a lot of books and stuff and practised mixing a lot. I am nowhere near my full potential as a recording engineer but during the last half year I've done some great progress. I understand what you mean by "GETTING THERE". Let me just define what "GETTING THERE" actually means in my "world". The tracking process is CRITICAL for "GETTING THERE". Set up a great tracking environment/setup and your mix will "GET THERE" sooner or later. When I track I try to imagine that this is the last process in the recording chain. It needs to sound awesome now, if not it will never sound awesome! If I'm aiming for a hit, this is the moment I need to realise that a hit was just born... If NOT I don't let the material go further down the recording chain.

Consuming the sound field effectively is nothing that has been stated directly to me, it's my conclusion about everything I've read and experienced as a recording engineer. I would be able to write a book about it, I think it's strange that nobody has focused on trying to really target what this actually means in recording and how important it is to have a good understanding about how it works. There are a lot of subjects within this field that is extremely valuable to have knowledge about. When I take this to the extreme I can say that the "vocal condition" and the "vocal technique" is one of the most critical things for making a hit production. There are so many rules that make recording engineers do bad decisions. If you want to make a hit, focus on the vocals being in great shape. Spend time on that, not on the preamp choice. Just imagine how many recordings are done today where artists might have taken drugs, drunk coffee, not warmed up properly, smoked, drunk alcohol, used the wrong vocal technique and so on. It's critical. When the vocals are not in shape the whole mix will end up not in shape. Don't get me wrong, it might still become a hit, but it is less likely, especially when you choose the wrong mic and pre amp, haha. heh
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
bit different , just a bit of mucking around... but fun !
Attached Files

bounce 1.mp3 (2.32 MB, 304 views)

Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hi,
my first time here. I thought I'll give it a try and here's what came out. The electric guitar sounded way off to me so I left it off. Maybe it was a problem while importing the tracks. I dunno. I listened to the file on computer speakers and it sounds like I kept the riff guitar a bit low. Anyway......

BTW, the songs is veeery nice, reminds me of Calexico but in upper mode (aka happier). The sounds are very good too.

Attached Files

cajon mix.mp3 (1.49 MB, 425 views)

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark O
Very interesting approach!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by judah
Hi,
my first time here. I thought I'll give it a try and here's what came out. The electric guitar sounded way off to me so I left it off. Maybe it was a problem while importing the tracks. I dunno. I listened to the file on computer speakers and it sounds like I kept the riff guitar a bit low. Anyway......

BTW, the songs is veeery nice, reminds me of Calexico but in upper mode (aka happier). The sounds are very good too.

Great kick drum!

Welcome to Gearslutz! I hope you will feel great about this place and that you'll enjoy being here...! On this forum we treat each other well and reply fast...

Happy slutting! heh
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowStorm
Great kick drum!

Welcome to Gearslutz! I hope you will feel great about this place and that you'll enjoy being here...! On this forum we treat each other well and reply fast...

Happy slutting! heh
Kick drum? Who said kick drum?
Thanks, I've heard about Gearslutz a lot and usually I hang around on PSW.
Thanks for your welcome post.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowStorm
Thanks a lot!! I have a lot of theories surrounding recording and mixing. I've read a lot of books and stuff and practised mixing a lot. I am nowhere near my full potential as a recording engineer but during the last half year I've done some great progress. I understand what you mean by "GETTING THERE". Let me just define what "GETTING THERE" actually means in my "world". The tracking process is CRITICAL for "GETTING THERE". Set up a great tracking environment/setup and your mix will "GET THERE" sooner or later. When I track I try to imagine that this is the last process in the recording chain. It needs to sound awesome now, if not it will never sound awesome! If I'm aiming for a hit, this is the moment I need to realise that a hit was just born... If NOT I don't let the material go further down the recording chain.

Consuming the sound field effectively is nothing that has been stated directly to me, it's my conclusion about everything I've read and experienced as a recording engineer. I would be able to write a book about it, I think it's strange that nobody has focused on trying to really target what this actually means in recording and how important it is to have a good understanding about how it works. There are a lot of subjects within this field that is extremely valuable to have knowledge about. When I take this to the extreme I can say that the "vocal condition" and the "vocal technique" is one of the most critical things for making a hit production. There are so many rules that make recording engineers do bad decisions. If you want to make a hit, focus on the vocals being in great shape. Spend time on that, not on the preamp choice. Just imagine how many recordings are done today where artists might have taken drugs, drunk coffee, not warmed up properly, smoked, drunk alcohol, used the wrong vocal technique and so on. It's critical. When the vocals are not in shape the whole mix will end up not in shape. Don't get me wrong, it might still become a hit, but it is less likely, especially when you choose the wrong mic and pre amp, haha. heh
Thanks for the reply Rainbowstorm.... really interesting stuff. I'd love to spend a day sometime picking your brain, but that'll probably never happen.

j
Old 24th May 2006 | Show parent
Old 25th May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by u b i k

gregoire
del ubik

OMFG, that's pretty cool!
Old 25th May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark O
hehehehe awesome

OK, i'll stop replying to everyone's tracks, but there's some good stuff in here!
Old 31st May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I know there is a new thread for a new song but I'd still like to discuss the mixes here. Anyone have any comments on my mix? I was hoping to learn something from this experience. Thanks.
πŸ“ Reply