Quantcast
CD Insert Printing - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
CD Insert Printing
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
CD Insert Printing

I want to start doing some short run duplication, and I'm wondering what a good printer might be for printing inserts. I'm thinking I want to do 11x17 sheet printing, to minimize wasted paper.

I'm also thinking of getting an automated CD duplicator/printer, any recommendations?
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDrive
I want to start doing some short run duplication, and I'm wondering what a good printer might be for printing inserts. I'm thinking I want to do 11x17 sheet printing, to minimize wasted paper.

I'm also thinking of getting an automated CD duplicator/printer, any recommendations?
No input on the automated equipment as mine is an old Champion Comet with a Signature II printer in it - old, but works great.

You might want to order a sample pack from Polyline to evaluate their inserts. I use them with a laser printer and an inkjet printer. Any color you want as long as it is white. I see they have 11" x 17" as well.

http://www.polylinecorp.com/category...01100&S=&OPT2=

You'll need to call them to get the sample pack. At least that is how I got one a long time ago. I got really tired or cutting things out and folding them just so.

Doug
Old 12th May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I never tire of cutting things and folding them just so... I've got a paper cutter that I place a light under the business edge, so you can see where the lines are precisely in relation to the blade... and a custom little block of dogwood I run against the steel edge of the tray to give it a clean, crisp edge. I do go through alot of printers, Epsons, and the new ones are always slightly better than the last.

I just make tray cards and stapled booklets, so sheets of 8.5 x 11 work fine. You can find any style of glossy paper you want at Staples. There we go, all my trade secrets.
Old 15th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
thanks guy. Anybody else doing insert and traycard printing? I'm basically just looking for a decent quality printer that will do 11x17 prints and not suck down too much ink while it does it. Also having seperate ink cartridges for each color would be great, to save ink.

Sorry, I know a printer isn't really "gear", but I don't know enough about this subject to make an informed purchase.
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
To go 11X17 is going to cost a lot more than one of the 8X11 printers. Also I don't know the availability of nice gloss/semi-gloss 11X17 stock to use.

For 8.5X11 stuff I use an Epson Photo R300 here (same engine in the R2XX and R3XX series -- 6 seperate ink carts). Does a great job for inserts and trays on staples photo paper. As a bonus it will also print on inkjet printable CD's. You can get the EPSON R200 refubs from ESON for $59 shipped to your door!

My production costs for 2 panel insert, traycard, jewel case, ink, paper, TY printable CD, is less than $2 a CD.

Good luck,
-Lee
Old 16th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPower
To go 11X17 is going to cost a lot more than one of the 8X11 printers. Also I don't know the availability of nice gloss/semi-gloss 11X17 stock to use.
I assume you mean the cost of the printer will be more, correct?

I've priced out some glossy 11x17, and I can get 3 4-sided inserts out of one sheet of 11x17 as opposed to only getting 1 insert per sheet of 8.5x11.

Based on some prices I found online, I can print inserts for $.08 each, (paper cost only).

I guess it just matters how much someone needs to print to warrant the each cost of an 11x17 printer, but I will probably be doing A LOT of printing.

Any other recommendations?
Old 16th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Ahhh, I get you. Sorry, my bad. For 11X17 I own a DeskJet 1120C but this is nowhere near the output quality of my Epson. Maybe the newer Epson R1800 would work.....

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/c...s&oid=53540919

It uses 8 separate inks!

Good luck,
-Lee
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…