Quantcast
New Tool - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Tool
Old 19th May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Distortion on new Tool album?

Do any of you guyz here any clipping / distortion on the tracks?

If so does it seem purposeful? If not what area of the world did you purchase your 'clean' recording?

A couple of folks around the world in this thread are wondering what is up.....
Old 19th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Not sure what I think of the album yet, but in perspective, a lesser Tool record is still better than most bands best records. Aenima is still to me one of the most staggering records I have ever heard.
Old 11th July 2006 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
In the June issue of Future Music magazine, there is a 2 1/2 page interview with Joe Baressi on the process of making 10,000 Days.

The rumours are true! Danny Carey has 8 hands.

P.S. bonus: The Flaming Lips are in it too, along with a half page on David Gilmour's Astoria with a few comments by Gilmour about it.
Old 16th August 2006 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Article in Mix about the making of 10,000 days

http://mixonline.com/recording/proje...ng_tools_days/

Kinda cool.

Psyko.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
my 2 cents on Tool

I have been a Tool fan since Undertow. IMO 10,000 Days is their best since Aenima. It took me a good 3-5 listens of Aenima before I even began to scratch the surface of it's depth. IMO 10k Days is much the same. What is really blowing my mind right now is how many of you are talking about a lack of 'songs' on 10k Days-that was and still is exactly my problem with Lateralus. To me, Lateralus was the meandering, soundscapes to outer space album-and I also think it sounds kinda plastic-y and thin. And I really didn't feel much 'fire' in Maynard's vocals on Lateralus, either. (FWIW, note: 'Lateralus' is the ONLY Tool release without a 4-letter word) EDIT: (the only Tool release without the MOTHER of all 4-letter words)

I digress. As someone previously said, a so-so Tool album is still MUCH better than most. But seriously, you guys who are on the fence with 10,000 Days ought to give 'Right In Two' a good listen. One of their finest moments IMO. I have also grown to love 'Vicarious'-check out the lyrics, great stuff-'Eye on the TV/cause tragedy thrills me/whatever flavor/it happens to be-like/killed by the husband/drowned by the ocean/shot by his own son/she used a poison in his tea/then kissed him goodbye...'

For the record-actual 'songs' on 10,000 Days-(IMO anyway)

1. Vicarious
2. .Jambi
3. Wings for Marie (pt. 1 )
4. 10,000 Days (wings pt. 2)
5. The Pot
6. Rosetta Stoned
7. Right In Two

...actual 'songs' on Lateralus-

1. The Grudge
2. The Patient
3. Schism
4. Parabola
5. Ticks and Leeches
6. Lateralus
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB Edwards ➑️
(FWIW, note: 'Lateralus' is the ONLY Tool release without a 4-letter word)
There's definitely more than one four letter word in "Ticks and Leeches"!

Quote:
...actual 'songs' on Lateralus-

1. The Grudge
2. The Patient
3. Schism
4. Parabola
5. Ticks and Leeches
6. Lateralus
What about "Reflection"?
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightsy ➑️
There's definitely more than one four letter word in "Ticks and Leeches"!

What about "Reflection"?
OK you got me-I meant the MOTHER of all 4-letter words. fuuck I might be wrong but I don't recall any F-bombs anywhere on Lateralus.

As far as 'Reflection' goes, I'll give you that one-I felt that one could go either way, but to me it's closer to a soundscape than anything that remotely resembles a pop song. YMMV
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
IMO this is Tool's best performance. I can seemingly hear more maturity in their songs. I honestly don't know what it is but this album has been in my cd player since day one and have not left. I know, album/cd player, anyway I haven't taken it out and don't really care to. Right in Two is an amazing song, as is The Pot, what a beautifully angry song. Tool went from one of my favorites to my all time favorite with this album.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy79 ➑️
IMO this is Tool's best performance. I can seemingly hear more maturity in their songs. I honestly don't know what it is but this album has been in my cd player since day one and have not left. I know, album/cd player, anyway I haven't taken it out and don't really care to. Right in Two is an amazing song, as is The Pot, what a beautifully angry song. Tool went from one of my favorites to my all time favorite with this album.
+10

Jambi is a massive rocker as well.
Old 17th August 2006
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
hello. 1st post for me... been lurking for a bit now. a wealth of info. here. great forum.

i really can't get enough of the new Tool. hasn't left my CD player since i got it, and probably won't for a while. f***ing incredible record start to finish. i was skeptical upon first hearing "Vicarious", but once heard in context with the rest of the album, i liked it.

my favorite thing about it is the abandonement of typically structured (i.e. catchy hooks and the like) song-writing for more ethereal and textural sounds. i really dig the cohesiveness of the songs... the way each one flows into the next so perfectly. there's a sense of tension and release throughout.

i think Maynard really took his vocals to another level on this as well.

i definately agree with the Meshuggah influence that a previous poster mentioned as well... very evident on the drum and bass-only passage in "Rosetta Stoned".

highlights for me are "Wings for Marie"/"10,000 days" and "Rosetta Stoned".

i'll be seeing them live in Mass. at the end of September... can't wait.

-Ryan
Old 17th August 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recycled_Brains ➑️
there's a sense of tension and release throughout.

-Ryan
This is exactly what music is meant to be about.

The majority of the **** i hear today, is a juvenile attachment to a single emotion.
Old 17th August 2006 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I think guitar and bass should do their home work and develop their skills like Danny and Maynard did!
No. Justin is a MONSTER. I'm guessing you don't really know/haven't listened to all the stuff he is actually doing on the record.

You have got to see Tool live. Justin was the biggest suprise out of all of them. Everyone knows Danny and Manyard are awesomely talented. And Adam plays exactly what is needed (it sounds simple, but it is not), and has one of the best guitar sounds ever.

But Justin is just, wow. I was floored. After the show (I saw them in Seattle on the mini-tour in May), I went back and listened much more critically to what he was doing on 10000 days. It is really amazing.
πŸ“ Reply