Quantcast
Finding religion (or, a good room) - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Finding religion (or, a good room)
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Finding religion (or, a good room)

I think this should go here, but if not, feel free to move it mods.

Anyway, I have a small studio in my house, that a few other musicians (as well as me) record in. Demo stuff, nothing big.

Anyway, for the last six months, we have been recording various songs, vocals, guitars, etc. I was actually always really pleased with the sound in the room. Not too dead, not to live, just sounded nice.

Last week, we but all new carpet on the second floor (where the studio is).

Holy ****, what a difference. In a bad way.

Literally, the only thing that has changed in the room is the carpet. All the furniture is back in the same place, all the gear is arranged and wired exactly the same. Now, instead of warm and nice, its cold and ringy. Ugh.

Now, we have to go back and redo all of the vocals (most of the other stuff is direct box or keyboard or software, so no loss there).

Im just a bit bummed.

By the way, I also put hardwoods up on the third floor (directly above the studio). We have the door closed when we play, but could that do anything (there was rug up there before, replaced at the same time as the carpet)? Not that I'm able to change it back
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Carpet is always a no no for acoustics. Sounds like you need to get a good book on acoustics - F Alton Everest is the man.

Every surface, walls, floor, ceiling make a difference. Most of these surfaces are acting as bass traps, by vibrating and absorbing energy. The stuff you put on the floor above your ceiling could very well have changed how your ceiling 'operates'.

'Room sound' is basically reflections between surfaces. Some of these reflections are boosted by the room dimensions, but you haven't changed those.

High frequencies are easy to kill - your carpet will be killing these. The mids and lows are much harder to kill - you carpet won't have any effect on these. So that tends to increase the ratio of lows to highs - the ugly room boom factor.

Imagine your room reflections being modeled by 3 delays set up to emulate the reflections between floor/ceiling, side walls, front & back walls. Imagine you set up each delay based on the distance between them, and the reflection/absorbion between them.

By applying the carpet, you've effectively changed the delays between floor and ceiling, by dampening the highs much more than the lows.

Try laying down some reflective panels on the floor - sheets of plywood or similar.

Edit: i'm guessing that the reason the room is now "cold and ringy" is that you are missing the reflections between floor and ceiling (and other angles too). It's like if you had your delays all set up so there were no conflicts, and you get a nice reverb sound. If you removed one of those delays from the equation, the remaining delays become more obvious - there are more 'holes' in the reverb sound.

Last edited by Kiwiburger; 11th May 2006 at 06:32 AM..
Old 11th May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
can you just take the carpet back up?

Glenn
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…