Quantcast
SansAmp stuff - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SansAmp stuff
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
SansAmp stuff

Classic, GT2, or Tri-AC for Top40 / Pop-rock stuff?

I like the (implied) simplicity and features of the GT2.

Anyone favour these units over POD's (2.0 and XT)?

I'm not really interested in the effects features of the POD's.

Any endorsements?

Thanks.

Oh yeah, Strat > SansAmp/POD > PTLE
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've owned and sold the GT-2 and TriAC. Tech21 recommend the Classic for serious recording, so I assume that they know the GT-2 and TriAC aren't up to the task?? Anyway, the big let down for me is that these are voiced as a stomp box in front of an amp. They theyfore lack the amp voicing that i was looking for.

(I was attempting to use them as a guitar preamp - I don't like DI). The Pod has the voicing options that make it useable as an actual amp replacer.

The FET transistor sound of Sansamp is closer to a tube sound. If you could couple them with a software clean amp, to get the actual amp voicing, you might be closer. Or just use gobs of eq.

I'm still looking for the perfect guitar preamp/DI box. I intend to check out the Radial Tonebone stuff next ... but they to are designed and voiced for insertion before a guitar amp.

It's frustrating - where have all the analog line level guitar preamps gone? My music store can get me a Marshal JMP-1 for about $1700 - but I remember trialling them 10 years ago. My expectations have been raised a lot since then.
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by C Heat
Classic, GT2, or Tri-AC for Top40 / Pop-rock stuff?

I like the (implied) simplicity and features of the GT2.

Anyone favour these units over POD's (2.0 and XT)?

I'm not really interested in the effects features of the POD's.

Any endorsements?

Thanks.

Oh yeah, Strat > SansAmp/POD > PTLE
I like the GT2 for guitar, and the Classic for anything else but guitar [drums, sax, bass, etc].

I'd highly suggest running the guitar through an amp and sticking a mic on it, instead of the POD thing...

John
Old 11th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Ah - thanks for reminding me. I remember trialling the Sansamp Classic in the early 90's when they first came out. I remember being impressed with it on bass, and not so much on guitar ... guess that's why I returned it.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I do not like direct guitar recording in general, but I would always take a sansamp over a pod any day of the week.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Hi

I have a Tech 21 amp knocking around - the TradeMark 10. Not exactly the same - but it sounds really good.

Now I use a Marshall head with a Palmer speaker sim. But before then used the Tech 21 and it sounded much better to me, and everyone who heard it.

It's not a simulator like the Pod (which I've also had) or Amp Farm (ditto) - although it has settings like Tweed, these more invoke the sound rather than simulate like the modellers.

But it did sound very nice in it's own right. Only problem I had was getting a clean sound (really have to have the gain down) and the distorted sound is really, really compressed.

But these were more features of the sound - and I really got on well with it.

Cheers

Pete
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks to all so far

Appreciated.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Try the Para Driver. It's Tech21's "universal preamp" pedal, and it's much more versatile than the guitar and bass pedals. Even Tech21 will tell you that the guitar/bass models are one- or two-trick ponies. They have a distinct mid hump that you can't really dial out. The Para Driver, OTOH, has quite flexible mid tweaking. You can get it into the territory of the G2, Bass Driver, etc., or you can go far afield from them. The manual even has sample settings for keys, violin, acoustic guitar, and stand-up bass. I use my Para for my Chapman Stick on gigs where I have no amp and must use the PA. I have not recorded with it, but it sounds dandy for headphone practice. Oh, and the Para Driver, unlike the other pedals, also gives you a choice of output levels (inst or line). Very handy Swiss Army box.

As for PODs and the like, I prefer the Para. Too many bells and whistles on those digital things. The Tech21 stuff is all analog.

Last edited by jeak; 11th May 2006 at 05:30 PM..
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
I like the Sans Amp stuff on everything BUT guitars.

They sound & feel too compressed and the midrange is all weird & phasey sounding IMO. I've used them for some direct parts from time to time but I've never been able to make a SansAmp guitar fit into the mix like a real amp, or (gasp!) even a POD.

Really, for direct guitar duties I'd rather have a POD & I think I'd rather find a new career then play through one of those all the time...

YMMV.
Old 27th September 2006 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
phase issues?

Anyone noticed this on their sansamps, when using them in a parallel situation (on an aux): when sending snare to it, the blend of both the original and the sansamped snare come out nice and well, but when sending bass or kick, the blend of both is really thin, until I phase reverse the sansamp. How about that?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yeah, that sometimes happens using 2 different pedals in parallel. they are often out of phase with eachother.

NB all the Sansamp pedals/rack units are amp simulators. They have the amp/speaker stack voicings and "tube amp" compression built in by default. The only time they don't is in bypass... and if you do use them in front of an amp they only work well in front of an uncoloured solid state amp with flatter sounding speakers (or full range)really.

They do make non amp-sim dist and comp boxex mind you (eg double drive)

The models are often based on 4x12 stacks so the phasiness people are hearing is probably due to that sim.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Check out the v-stack pedal. The Brian May samples sound cool as hell.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've had a SansAmp GT2 for about 10 years now. It's the first thing I throw into my gack bag when going out to do a tracking session, either as player or engineer. It's not so much that it sounds so great -- though sometimes it's absolutely perfect -- but that it's a convenient way to get something *different* effortlessly. (And unlike idiosyncratic "vintage" stompboxes, sometimes that difference is also subtle, iconic, and completely normal.) Direct guitar, in between guitar and (mic'd) amp, direct bass, drum buss, keyboards, vox...I don't think there's anything I *haven't* tried it on.

It ain't a POD. It ain't an amp emulator. It definitely ain't an amp. It just is what it is. I like it.
Old 28th September 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I have the SansAmp Bass Driver D.I. (older model, no output pad switches) and the programmable BDDI.
Despite the claim that they are identical (besides the programmable part) they're not. The programmable version I have sounds lightyears better than my plain old BDDI.

Herwig
Founder

I like using the bass driver DI (interesting tip above, do they look different?)
And I like the SansAmp plug in on drums & dist vocals..
Never seem to get round to using them on gtr much..
For mix time tweaking, using Amplitube on a DI gtr signal usually gives me the added flavor to blend with the mic signals I require..
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwiburger ➑️
I've owned and sold the GT-2 and TriAC. Tech21 recommend the Classic for serious recording, so I assume that they know the GT-2 and TriAC aren't up to the task?? Anyway, the big let down for me is that these are voiced as a stomp box in front of an amp. They theyfore lack the amp voicing that i was looking for.

(I was attempting to use them as a guitar preamp - I don't like DI). The Pod has the voicing options that make it useable as an actual amp replacer.

The FET transistor sound of Sansamp is closer to a tube sound. If you could couple them with a software clean amp, to get the actual amp voicing, you might be closer. Or just use gobs of eq.

I'm still looking for the perfect guitar preamp/DI box. I intend to check out the Radial Tonebone stuff next ... but they to are designed and voiced for insertion before a guitar amp.

It's frustrating - where have all the analog line level guitar preamps gone? My music store can get me a Marshal JMP-1 for about $1700 - but I remember trialling them 10 years ago. My expectations have been raised a lot since then.
i have a jmp-1 i would let go for significantly less than that...it's not mint (rash and whatnot), but 100% functional...shoot me a pm if at all interested and we'll talk
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules ➑️
I like using the bass driver DI (interesting tip above, do they look different?)
My version of the plain old BDDI has the rotary controls and a switch for phantom& ground connect. The newer (non-programmable) version has two other switches as well (I'm guessing if they are the same as the prog.: output boost and XLR pad)

Herwig
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I dig the original Sansamp a lot.

Wish the plugin came close to any of their stuff, but it doesn't. It's still pretty useful though, don't get me wrong!
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:

I'm like you... somehow hoping to find the perfect direct guitar recording solution that is all analog (preferably tube). I should probably get a decent low-powered tube amp and be done with it.

You asked about tube pre-amps. Maybe you're already aware of these and they're not what your looking for.

These are about $600 - 700 new. They also have tube power amp stages in them, which some folks say really adds a lot. I've haven't heard them.
Koch Pedaltone
Stephenson's Stage Hog

I've got a Damage control Womanizer, which isn't bad.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Geez!

Stage hog looks amazing... $650 though!

http://www.stephensonamps.com/stagehog5-0.htm

http://www.stephensonamps.com/pricing.htm
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast9 ➑️

Check out the reviews on Harmony Central, sometime. Yeah, I know everybody gives everything 10s on HC. But most of these reviewers seem to know what they're taklin about. I was gonna give you a link but the site appears to be down right now.

Most folks are using it as an effects pedal. I'm not sure how well it would work as part of a direct recording chain. But my instincts tell me that it would be outstanding.
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Local 47 ➑️
Anyone noticed this on their sansamps, when using them in a parallel situation (on an aux): when sending snare to it, the blend of both the original and the sansamped snare come out nice and well, but when sending bass or kick, the blend of both is really thin, until I phase reverse the sansamp. How about that?
You ALWAYS need to check the polarity when doing that kind of stuff, but that's one of the things I dig about the Sansamp pedals...you can flip all those tiny switches around and it'll do CRAZY things to the sound.

Lots of options!
Old 6th December 2007 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
DI Preamp GAS

Quote:

I've had a GT-2 for years, great for getting decent tone from and "full range" (DI) system. Bought a Tri A.C. as I was looking for channel switching in the DI stuation. Different again. I don't really like the GT-2 "tweed" sound but love it's Brit and Cali settings. Exactly the opposite
with the Tri A.C. The Tweed sound is killing but the Brit and Cali are a bit flat however still usable. These two pedals plus a Wharfdale powered 12+horn wedge make up my ultra portable light weight system.
I've been running a Sansamp PSA-1, Rocktron Intellifex, Yamaha 31-band Graphic, QSC USA900, PAir JBL TR-125 system for years controlled from a Midimate but it got too heavy so I sold JBLs and QSC. I bought a pair of Wharfdale powered foldback and can use whatever pre-amp I like.
The only thing is that the pre-amp must have a cab sim or I gotta put one in line. I've recently had an attach of pre-amp GAS and bought a Yamaha Magicstomp, Rocktron Chameleon (early release, the good one), Vox Tonelab (desktop) and an ADA Microcab.
I'm slowly going through the units. They're all excellent. I've spent the most time so far with the Magicstomp. Wow. Tweekability plus.
Having lots of fun. I figure when I finish testing them all I'll sell off some and only keep a couple........maybe, although I'm getting the yearning for a Radial Tonebone Trimode (although it's really only a Duomode, bypass is not a mode thank you). My wife's going nuts however I sold off all my studio gear to finance the spending spree.
Old 4th September 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Wow!

Shocked by all the haters!

I LOVE my Tri-AC, and unless I'm tracking through a high end combo with a royer on the grill and a neuman mono room mic, then I'll use it over an amp any day.

It KILLS Marshalls dead

Mind you I'm not talking about admireing my tone between takes, I'm talking about when I go to mix it, or have it mixed, having the Guitars sit Exactly where they should.

I couldn't recomend it enough
Old 4th September 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Interesting to see how folks felt back then about going amp-less for recording.

Back when this thread was started I was tracking with three tube amps and constantly struggling with finding a tone that fit with my acoustic based stuff.

Never had SansAmp...did have a Pod. The Pod didn't cut it so...I struggled.

Ten years after ().....it's 11R for my electric tracking. It seems to fit pretty well.
πŸ“ Reply