Quantcast
Ergonomics: Patchbays infront of you? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Ergonomics: Patchbays infront of you?
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Ergonomics: Patchbays infront of you?

Hey all. While I wait for my new studio space to fall into my lap I'm contemplating some ergonomics issues. I'm going to be using the simple, minimalist desk in the attached photo.

I know most people have their patchbays in their rack units off to the side, but I've been thinking about putting my four patchbays in the four rackspaces embedded under the bridge of that desk. They'd be right infront of me.

The question is, I'd also have a mackie control with two extensions on that desk. Would the cables get too dangly and obnoxious? Would the overall aesthetic be nasty?

This may seem a bit petty, but I really can't decide, so I thought I'd see what a couple sluts thought. I have to make a decision quickly here because I'm about to place an order for cable and I've got to go with the right lengths. Want to save pennies where I can.
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Murray
Hey all. While I wait for my new studio space to fall into my lap I'm contemplating some ergonomics issues. I'm going to be using the simple, minimalist desk in the attached photo.

I know most people have their patchbays in their rack units off to the side, but I've been thinking about putting my four patchbays in the four rackspaces embedded under the bridge of that desk. They'd be right infront of me.

The question is, I'd also have a mackie control with two extensions on that desk. Would the cables get too dangly and obnoxious? Would the overall aesthetic be nasty?

This may seem a bit petty, but I really can't decide, so I thought I'd see what a couple sluts thought. I have to make a decision quickly here because I'm about to place an order for cable and I've got to go with the right lengths. Want to save pennies where I can.
Tried it, and it sucked.
Cables bloody everywhere- very dangly and distinctly obnoxious.
Keep the patchbays away from your desk space.
I have a similar desk to yours- I keep my rack mount synths in them- great to be able to design synth sounds with them right in front of you.
Old 10th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yeah, was afraid that might be the case. Who knows man, you may have just saved me a lot of hassle.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I have a similar desk, the Omnirax Omnidesk, I tried my patchbay up top and it sucked. I moved my comps and efx up there, much more useful!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Glad to help...

It was definitely one of those ideas that sounded like a good idea at the time, but didn't work in practice.

JR
Old 11th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
personally, i hate clutter when working, and all those cables right in front of me would probably drive me nuts
πŸ“ Reply