Quantcast
Amp Hum (9KHz) Problem - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Amp Hum (9KHz) Problem
Old 10th May 2006
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Amp Hum (9KHz) Problem

I've recently experienced a high-pitched buzz/hum when playing through my 65 BFDR. Not the 60 Hz hum. This is around 9KHz (when I record the sound and use an parametric EQ to cut 9K the sound decreases significantly). I can actually hear what sounds like a clock ticking through the amp. When I turn the amp on but don't have the guitar plugged in, I do not hear the sound. I play a Tele and Strat with single coil pickups. Changing positions does seem to attenuate the hum. When I plug into my Great River preamp (DI), I also hear the hum but not as loud, but not the clock sound. So I'm assuming that I am picking up some sort of noise/radio wave through my pickups. I've never had this problem before. It's driving me nuts. When I'm recording guitar tracks this 9k hum is killing me. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 10th May 2006
Gear Guru

1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 15 years

Where are you? Are there any cell phones in the area? Do you have sprinkler controllers, alarm systems, or children's toys nearby?

-tINY

Old 11th May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY

Where are you? Are there any cell phones in the area? Do you have sprinkler controllers, alarm systems, or children's toys nearby?

-tINY

I'm recording in the basement of my house. And yes to all of the above: sprinkler controllers, alarm system, and my son's toys. It's just that I've never had this problem before. I just had my amp serviced. Is this just a really bad shielding problem?
Old 11th May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 15 years

If the only thing that has changed is the amp tune-up, I would suspect that....

-tINY

๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…