Quantcast
sm7 or AT4050? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
sm7 or AT4050?
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
sm7 or AT4050?

I want to sell my rode nt1000 (waaaaayyyy too bright) and replace it with another condenser. Right now I've really been eyeing the shure SM7 and the AT4050 (which is a little more pricey... an immediate downfall cuz my budget is very limited). I need a versatile mic that will be used primarily for vocals and guitar. Hip hop vocals most often, but I also do some recording for rock bands. Do either of these mics have a clear cut advantage when it comes to versaitility? I've heard tons of good things about the SM7 for hip hop vocals but how does it do on rock singers?
Old 10th May 2006
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I have both and use them all the time, but they are completely different mics. I've used both on hip hop vocals and rock vocals. And it really just depends on the person's voice. The 4050 may be a little bit more versatile, but on the right voice, the SM7 is outstanding.

I use my 4050 on acoustic guitar sometimes and as a drum room mic, and it works well for cello, violin, etc. The SM7 I put on electric guitar and I've heard of people using it on snare too.

The SM7 is not a condensor. And it has a very low gain output, so you need a preamp you can really drive hard without adding too much noise.

I'd probably go with the SM7 if I were you.
Old 10th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
good to know. I don't really have a good preamp at the moment... just the ones that are built into my fireface, not so great. For some reason I assumed the SM7 was a condenser, I'm an idiot. Thanks.
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrif08
II've heard tons of good things about the SM7 for hip hop vocals but how does it do on rock singers?

funny I have the opposite experience with the SM7..it's been used in rock recording for like 30 years....then again I don't do hip hop so what do I know about what they are using.

I have both mics you are mentioning...it's a tough call...I'd say get both! heh

They compliment eachother nicely
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by phelbin
I have both and use them all the time, but they are completely different mics. I've used both on hip hop vocals and rock vocals. And it really just depends on the person's voice. The 4050 may be a little bit more versatile, but on the right voice, the SM7 is outstanding.

I use my 4050 on acoustic guitar sometimes and as a drum room mic, and it works well for cello, violin, etc. The SM7 I put on electric guitar and I've heard of people using it on snare too.

The SM7 is not a condensor. And it has a very low gain output, so you need a preamp you can really drive hard without adding too much noise.

I'd probably go with the SM7 if I were you.

SM7 rules on KIk drum too!
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtGarceau
I brought home an SM7b from work about 6 months ago, and I don't know how I'll live without it when it has to be returned.
Exactly! It doesn't diminish the performance of the 4050, but the upsides of the SM7 are just so great.

Last edited by phelbin; 11th May 2006 at 06:36 AM..
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
what if I don't have a good mic pre at the moment? is there a moderatley priced mic pre that I could purchase at the same time that might compliment the SM7 nicely?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
what if I don't have a good mic pre at the moment? is there a moderatley priced mic pre that I could purchase at the same time that might compliment the SM7 nicely?

well it seem to me that the cheapest while still retaining quality is an API 512c with a lunchbox...which you can expand on later.

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Depends on what "moderatley priced" means to you...
Old 11th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
We're talkin total purchase under $700... I know I know... my budget is rather inadequate
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
We're talkin total purchase under $700... I know I know... my budget is rather inadequate

move it up to 1700.00 and you'll be golden..

🎧 15 years
If I had to have one or the other I'd go 4050. But I'm not a big SM7 fan. I have one and I never use it on vocals, I'll put up my U195 on a screamer before my SM7.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo
If I had to have one or the other I'd go 4050. But I'm not a big SM7 fan. I have one and I never use it on vocals, I'll put up my U195 on a screamer before my SM7.

funny I'm not a fan of the u195 at all..the SM7 get's more use on guitars and kik drum and bass cabs than vox duty at my joint. I just find it a good workhorse mic that is beefier than a 57
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
My SM7 gets used all the time on male and female rock/alt country vocals in preference to my AT-4050, Beyer M834, GT MD3 and MD1a, Sennheiser MD441 (among others) and most recently even in preference to my Gefell M582h. I'm constantly amazed that it gets chosen over all these other mics. It also gets chosen for electric and acoustic guitars and a variety of other stringed instruments over more "standard" choices. Not bad for a mic that I paid $200 for used over the internet. The only other mic I have with that kind of "draw" is the R84 I recently picked up. I should probably pick up another one. If you are looking for a relatively inexpensive pre to use with an SM7, the RNP works reasonably well with it (about $425 used). Then you can get an RNC (@$125 used) to put on the RNP insert and have a nice little recording package on a budget.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The SM7 needs 60dB of quiet, clean gain. If you have a Mackie, don't bother. You need a high end preamp.

I have an SM7, and that's what made me realise my Joe Meek was a pile of poo. I got a Portico 5012 which made all the difference. Previously, the Joe Meek had made the Mackie look like a pile of poo.

Maybe an EV RE20 is worth a look at? I understand they require less gain.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
How much gain does the DAV pre have? A used one would probably be a reasonable option (I think there's one for sale currently on the Board for a very good price - which I'd grab for myself if I could rationalize yet another preamp). It would be quieter than an RNP, but hey, we are talking Hip Hop and Rock here aren't we?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pohaku
How much gain does the DAV pre have? A used one would probably be a reasonable option...
The DAV Electronics BG-1 might indeed be a good choice; click on the link for the specs (I think up to 60db gain); it costs around $700.

J.D.

Last edited by jdjustice; 11th May 2006 at 09:26 AM..
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
On the real cheap, maybe a VTB-1 (I think that's the model). Didn't Harvey Gerst say that it worked surprisingly well with his R84? If it will work with an R84, it should work just fine with an SM7. Ignore the toob feature.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The only AT I still like is the 4047. But I love my SM7 more and more. Try it in guitars and bass cabs... very nice.

Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Would you guys rather use the SM7 or a K2/T3, etc cheaper chinese/austrailian tube condensor for vocals with a 1073?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pohaku
My SM7 gets used all the time on male and female rock/alt country vocals in preference to my AT-4050, Beyer M834, GT MD3 and MD1a, Sennheiser MD441 (among others) and most recently even in preference to my Gefell M582h. I'm constantly amazed that it gets chosen over all these other mics. It also gets chosen for electric and acoustic guitars and a variety of other stringed instruments over more "standard" choices. Not bad for a mic that I paid $200 for used over the internet. The only other mic I have with that kind of "draw" is the R84 I recently picked up. I should probably pick up another one. If you are looking for a relatively inexpensive pre to use with an SM7, the RNP works reasonably well with it (about $425 used). Then you can get an RNC (@$125 used) to put on the RNP insert and have a nice little recording package on a budget.
Acoustic guits? How does it perform there?
I don't have a 441 but I thought it was better than the SM7. Nice to know.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have an LA-610 and I am planning on getting an SM7 this week...will that pre do the job?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Why don't you spend $700 on a preamp and work with the Rode for now, then get the SM7 when you have a little more scratch.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by insomnio
The only AT I still like is the 4047. But I love my SM7 more and more. Try it in guitars and bass cabs... very nice.
I like the 4047s more and more all the time. Of course, it's cardioid only, but I'd rather have the better mic with a single pattern, and I do feel like it's better than the 4050, especially if you have to sing into it.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper
Why don't you spend $700 on a preamp and work with the Rode for now, then get the SM7 when you have a little more scratch.
The rode has to go... I really am not a fan of it at all. It picks up noise from down the street and my 'studio' is not anywhere close to properly sound treated.

Lots of good suggestions here though, keep em coming.
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
i just picked up the Rode K2 ... just under 700.00 and it sounds real nice on my voice ... no EQ needed ...

i also own the AT 4050 ... i use it for percussion and other things ... background vocals ... the K2 has a bit more balls ...

and i own an SM7B ... another good mic for lots of things ...

i say always have an Sm7 around ... for rock vocals, voiceovers, kick ...

john
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
K... couple of quick questions.

What is the difference exactly between the SM7 and the SM7B?

I like the suggestion of an RNP. I can pick one of those up for about $400 and the mic the SM7 at about $300 which keeps me in my price range thumbsup
Any input on the RNP? I already have a couple RNC's and I really like them for the price.

Ive heard the RODE K2 mentioned a couple of times. Does that thing run as hot as the NT1000? Im really hesitant to get another RODE because I've found very little use for the one I'm tryin to get rid of.

I think that was all for now.... Thanks again everyone.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I have both and like them each in different ways. I agree that you need a good preamp to really help the SM7. So if you don't have one that will pump out enough gain then I would suggest the RE-20 or Beyer M-88 as alternatives. Both are great "all purpose" dynamic mics. The 4050 offers multiple polar patterns and works well on most things. It is cheaper than a 414 but falls in the same category (I feel). I would have to agree that the U195 is the next step up after that. A different sound than the 4050. You want your mic's to sound different. It gives you variety.

Jason
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Coincidence?

This week I started lead vocals on a new project. We set up seven mics for a little 'what do you like' test. U95S, E49, AT4050, Baby Bottle, M88, R84 and SM7. In this instance we all liked the 4050 and the SM7. The SM7 was chosen for having the most 'character'.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
The rode has to go... I really am not a fan of it at all. It picks up noise from down the street and my 'studio' is not anywhere close to properly sound treated....
Get the sm7. Any condenser is more sensitive, just based on the operating principle.
πŸ“ Reply