Quantcast
Anyone hear the new API A2D yet? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Anyone hear the new API A2D yet?
Old 10th May 2006
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Anyone hear the new API A2D yet?

Just curious on how the converters sound. I really want one... but might just get the 3124.... I am worried that the converters are just... bla. But then again, it is API...
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i might be wrong, but didn't it get announced like...9 days ago? if so, settle down. or buy one.
Old 10th May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaneldon
i might be wrong, but didn't it get announced like...9 days ago? if so, settle down. or buy one.
Dude, that's harsh. Based on other threads, there are some people around here (mostly API dealers I think) that had them before the public release. Did you check out the threads in the new product alert section?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
didn't mean to come off harsh, and i'm sorry if i did. it's just a little exhausting to even half-expect a straight answer as to how a product sounds when it's probably got less than 100 units shipped and has only been around for a week.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I totally understand that not many have gotten their hands on one. But even dealers can chime in. I have one being held for me... just thinking about the purchase.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaneldon
didn't mean to come off harsh, and i'm sorry if i did. it's just a little exhausting to even half-expect a straight answer as to how a product sounds when it's probably got less than 100 units shipped and has only been around for a week.

lol... why do you care so much? Are you the forum policeman over unrealistic questions now that Fletcher is gone? Oh wait! I forgot... Fletcher is actually back now!!! Guess you can relax now. No need to be exhausted.

^ all just kidding around... but seriously.. to the poster.... I think Tony Belmont has tried one. I think it was he that was recommending one highly on a recent thread intitled "Vintech or API" or something like that. I would assume that since he recommended it so highly over the vintech that he had used both. Might PM him and ask.

Last edited by crypticglobe; 10th May 2006 at 07:46 PM..
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I ordered one today, I will report back after I have had time to listen to it!

🎧 15 years
I have a unit I've been using over here (I'm looking at it right now)...

How does the converter sound?

I would say very good! It sounds like what you would expect an API converter to sound like... The converter uses API 2510 op amps like the 8200 does and is right up there with the top tier converters like Apogee, etc. People are not gonna be disappointed with this converter...

🎧 15 years
Also, a lot of people have been wondering why it's white... It looks white in the pictures, but it is actually a brushed silver metal front panel. The side panels are made of an anodized blue, and it looks very cool in person.

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticglobe
I think Tony Belmont has tried one. I think it was he that was recommending one highly on a recent thread intitled "Vintech or API" or something like that. I would assume that since he recommended it so highly over the vintech that he had used both. Might PM him and ask.
Hi Steve,

I have used Vintech X73's, Dual 72's, etc... I think the API was perfect for that guy because he was using a mediocre converter and the combination pre and converter would have been a better match for him.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I have the Lynx Aurora 8, my reasoning behind getting the A2D was that I don;t have any API pres and want some, and two more channels AD will be great. I plan to add a Lavry DA 10 as well, and will then have two more channels of Lynx available at mix time to use for my outboard.
Old 11th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont
Hi Steve,

I have used Vintech X73's, Dual 72's, etc... I think the API was perfect for that guy because he was using a mediocre converter and the combination pre and converter would have been a better match for him.

Right on bro. I was trying to recommend asking you without actually stipulating that I knew you had tried both... since I didnt.... but figured that you surely had based on your suggestions.

So... your are saying this new pre can give you the full on "crank the gain, and pull back the master fader" type distortion/color/grit that a vintage 312 can?? I absolutely LOVE the old 312's for that grungy but still somehow VERY present with great attack sound (something about the way the top end breaks up!) for drums, but I have yet to hear any modern product that does that. Brents new 312 thingees are pretty good, but with that Avedis Op Amp they don't distort/saturate the same way. Whaddya think??

Thanks for the input...

Last edited by crypticglobe; 11th May 2006 at 03:46 PM..
Old 11th May 2006 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticglobe
Right on bro. I was trying to recommend asking you without actually stipulating that I knew you had tried both... since I didnt.... but figured that you surely had based on your suggestions.

So... your are saying this new pre can give you the full on "crank the gain, and pull back the master fader" type distortion/color/grit that a vintage 312 can?? I absolutely LOVE the old 312's for that grungy but still somehow VERY present with great attack sound (something about the way the top end breaks up!) for drums, but I have yet to hear any modern product that does that. Brents new 312 thingees are pretty good, but with that Avedis Op Amp they don't distort/saturate the same way. Whaddya think??

Thanks for the input...
I think it does a good job of getting that sound... Plus, you have a couple different options of hitting the unit hard with the 2:1 button, or just using the A/D input attenuator and different combinations of the two, etc.
πŸ“ Reply