Quantcast
Resume: what's good and what's not? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Resume: what's good and what's not?
Old 9th May 2006
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Resume: what's good and what's not?

I have a meeting tomorrow with an established studio tomorrow about interning during some of their open intern shifts. I have started another post "interning while earning a graduate degree" that gives more perspective on my situation.

Basically, I'm a graduate student in the sciences that cannot put the recording obsession to rest.

Anyway, I wrote up a resume to give them that I hope is
1) not pretentious
2) does not try to make me sound as though I think I'm ready to start mixing a record
and 3) merely conveys a sense of professionalism and work ethic and interest in recording.

I removed the resume I had posted, but if anyone has any suggestions for these sort of resumes in general, that'd be great. Any interview tips would be great too!

PS. If they need me to clean toilets, I'm ready to do that if that's what they want. I'm serious about doing what I need to do to get to where I want to be.

Last edited by wilkinswp; 9th May 2006 at 09:01 PM..
Old 9th May 2006
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Two important things I think:
Having a good portfolio of CDs.
Having the "eye of the tiger" that says "I'm going somewhere with or without you".
Old 9th May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
This resume is pretty stripped down and not very exciting. . . but maybe that's all it needs to be. A friend of mine who produces shows said that I should include a list of all my gear--great river, vipre, rosetta, Kurzweil KSP8, NS10s with Bryston etc. and mention that I'm currently using my project studio to do preproduction and overdub tracking for clients. . . good idea to do this? Don't want to sound like I'm a know-it-all after reading so many posts about being quiet and not getting in the way, etc. . . .

He also mentioned pictures of my control room and tracking room. . . good, bad?

Last edited by wilkinswp; 9th May 2006 at 07:29 PM..
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I don't believe that having your own studio's equipment list and pictures is a good thing to put on a resume. Sell yourself, not your gear. That goes for the studios too!

I'd rather buy a studio based on their engineer than their gear anyday. I could care less what you can use. In fact i'd rather not have an engineer that's pigeonholed themselves into needing a certain preamp or compressor to get 'that sound', but someone that understands compression and good mic'ing techniques well and can make it sound good regardless of gear.

You can let them know that you're comfortable on various pieces of high end gear, but I wouldn't push it. Many interning positions aren't 'engineering' positions anyway. They'd rather that you know nothing and be willing to learn, than for you to show off and show what you know.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibbon
I don't believe that having your own studio's equipment list and pictures is a good thing to put on a resume. Sell yourself, not your gear. That goes for the studios too!

I'd rather buy a studio based on their engineer than their gear anyday. I could care less what you can use. In fact i'd rather not have an engineer that's pigeonholed themselves into needing a certain preamp or compressor to get 'that sound', but someone that understands compression and good mic'ing techniques well and can make it sound good regardless of gear.

You can let them know that you're comfortable on various pieces of high end gear, but I wouldn't push it. Many interning positions aren't 'engineering' positions anyway. They'd rather that you know nothing and be willing to learn, than for you to show off and show what you know.

Thanks for the validation. This was the impression I've been under as well. . .
πŸ“ Reply