Quantcast
A place in LA - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
A place in LA
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
A place in LA

(Moderators, please move this if it's in the wrong forum..)

hey LA slutz, need a bit of help here.

i'm making the big move to LA at end of Aug, from Boston. i'm interested in finding a liveable place that can also accomodate some music production. don't need any big rooms for drums, but big enough to do mixing and occasional guitar/vox tracking.

this would be "a bit" different from home project studio, since ideally i would like to get some clients in, and free to do recordings 24/7.. without having the hassle of bothering surrounding neighbors.

what's more ideal? condo/apt/house? a possible consideration is that i'll be moving with my gf, and she's also a musician/composer.. we're not movnig in together per se, and she's not opposed to getting a place of her own. so to extend this idea, say if she's my neighbor right downstairs or next door, then she could somewhat be a "buffer" to further soundproof my place. hell, we could even set up a place for both of our studios, and we live right next door..

obviously i won't want to seclude myself in the woods or ghetto to risk my gear getting jacked. a city-accessible location (30min. max) would be perfect.

is this realistic in LA? it'd be great if any of you could point me towards a particular location, or even general area to check out. i'll make a few trips out there during the summer for job and dwell hunt.. so any input is appreciated, please let me know!
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
http://losangeles.***************/

Assuming you and your girl have some bucks to be considering separate apartments (or you're just not quite up on how expensive rents are out here). I'd suggest downtown L.A. if you can get into a decent loft. There are more people living/working in those types of spaces so you are apt to have more tolerant neighbors in terms of noise. You may even have some luck in the Valley area finding a tiny, run down house if you've got the budget.

By the way, 30 minutes is the minimum drive time to anywhere out here. I drive 19 miles to work and it takes me an hour (provided there are no accidents, car chases, broken down vehicles or drops of rain).

Good luck.

Last edited by Jazzpunk; 9th May 2006 at 06:10 PM..
Old 9th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
thanks Jazzpunk.

i've visited LA a few times, since i've got my brother and few friends living out there, so i'm familiar with the usual like traffic, etc.. rent wise, Boston makes LA feel like bodegas. it's one of the many reasons of moving there (besides weather, location), while still being in close physical contact with this industry (in a big city that is).

it's amazing with the price: one can get laundry, dish washer, disposal, even parking for cheaper price than Beantown.

the loft thing sounds like an extremely good idea. i'll definitely shop around on Craig's list.

sorry for the ignorance, but when you say Valley, is that pertaining to a particular area?
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
To be honest, you would be much better off sharing an apartment with your girl, and renting a studio space/lockout for your project studio separately. That way, you're still renting two places and you can be more "professional" if you have your own studio space--meaning you can track guitars and vocals at any volume, any time of day, as opposed to most likely not being able to do that in any LA apartment/condo/house without complaining neighbors.

Yeah, and dude, if you're moving to LA with your girl, why wouldn't you live together? You would certainly save money, and if you needed space from her, rent out that lockout and that's your office to escape to.

The Valley refers to the San Fernando Valley. It's the northern part of Los Angeles which is divided by a mountain range from the basin. If you look on the map, it's basically everything north of Mulholland Drive or north of Ventura Blvd, depending on who you ask, that is enclosed by mountains on almost all sides. Some examples are Sherman Oaks, Encino, North Hollywood, Studio City, and Burbank. If the area code is 818, you're in the valley.

Last edited by GlassPrisoner79; 9th May 2006 at 06:43 PM..
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
You didn't say what your budget was. In the Valley you could try to find a little stucco box of a house with a couple bedrooms, some room to stick the studio in and a little back yard. Check out Studio City, Tarzana, Encino, Reseda, Woodland Hills, Sherman Oaks. Quality of neighboorhoods will vary, probably with price.

When i moved here from Boston 24 years ago I landed in Venice, where I still am. Anywhere but the Oakwood neighborhood is cool, but rents have skyrocketed in the last few years. Little one bedroom houses (3 on a small lot) can go for a grand. Still, it's one of the coolest places on the planet. If you want to be Venice adjacent, in L.A. itself and not in the valley, check out Mar Vista or Palms, just east of Lincoln Boulevard. Santa Monica is great too, but property values there are driven up by the desireable school district.

Good luck.

-R
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblotted
some music production.
Is music production a personal focus or professional focus? Are you moving for a job, or are you planning to make a living off of production (or is production a side business).

If production is a full-time job for you, I agree on getting a rented space, unless you're in the $3000/mo. budget range (combined), in which case you could get a nice house. The rented space makes it easier to close clients.

Otherwise, get a Demeter 'silent speaker' (for amped guitars) in your closet, Auralex a room for medium-volume mixing and headphone vocals (unless you can fit the control room+vocal booth), and be done with it. Save $$$ on the space and rent a nice studio when you need it on a project-by-project basis.

Last edited by Gregg Sartiano; 9th May 2006 at 08:32 PM..
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
my advice is stay in Beantown...unless your a young lad or unless you got some hookups..

but really I just don't want anymore frickin traffic than their already is
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by superburtm
my advice is stay in Beantown...unless your a young lad or unless you got some hookups..

but really I just don't want anymore frickin traffic than their already is
Don't worry super, I'm tryin' to get the hell out of here so he's welcome to my space on the 405 parking lot!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzpunk
Don't worry super, I'm tryin' to get the hell out of here so he's welcome to my space on the 405 parking lot!

haha

If I may ask...where you headed??
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
cool thread. I may be moving out there towards the end of the year , and am expecting to pay 800 a month or so at least to live. I have heard cool things from locals..like you can find some gems in some really nice areas if you look really hard. But I am not going to build a studio either, so my living situtation will not be as unique.

I have also heard that the lofts are the next solid investement in LA. Downtown will be much better down there in 5 years it sounds like.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
haha

If I may ask...where you headed??
Headin north, God willing
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Methlab
cool thread. I may be moving out there towards the end of the year , and am expecting to pay 800 a month or so at least to live. I have heard cool things from locals..like you can find some gems in some really nice areas if you look really hard. But I am not going to build a studio either, so my living situtation will not be as unique.

I have also heard that the lofts are the next solid investement in LA. Downtown will be much better down there in 5 years it sounds like.
The loft renovations are pretty cool as long as you don't mind stepping outside into the drudgery that is downtown. Most people out here only spend time outside when they go from their apartment to their car (and visa versa) so shouldn't be much of a problem. I'd say if you can afford anything out here you'll have a solid investment as prices just keep going up and up.

Me, I'm ready for some trees and some conversations that don't start and end with, 'So what is it you do again?'
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

While I do believe this, keep in mind they've been saying that for at least the last 12 years
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

$800 per month?

Maybe in a 600 sq ft dump near LAX.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by robmix
While I do believe this, keep in mind they've been saying that for at least the last 12 years

hehe totally
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Man, this is a funny thread.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by picksail
$800 per month?

Maybe in a 600 sq ft dump near LAX.

I have friends in Burbank 2 guys in a 3bedroom apt..looking for a roommate for 550.00 a month including utilities..that's a deal..if you can do the roommate thing.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I have friends in Burbank 2 guys in a 3bedroom apt..looking for a roommate for 550.00 a month including utilities..that's a deal..if you can do the roommate thing.
And thought that I was fortunate to find a place for $2,000 per month with water paid.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
And thought that I was fortunate to find a place for $2,000 per month with water paid.

where the hell are you living?? You are paying more than I pay on my mortgage in Burbank.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
wow, some incredible replies and inputs here. much appreciated.

to answer some Q's, my budget is 1K~1500 for the space (each), but cheaper is always welcomed. the reason for not sharing a space with the girl.. well, it's a bit complicated, let's just say it's a mixed company thing . as much as i love Boston, i'm ready to move from the cold to the sun. and i also make frequent trips to Asia and this'll sure make the flights cheaper/closer.. i'm sick of them 25 hour trips! plus i have lots of family & friends in LA, i'm trying to make it my next home, so to speak.

job wise, i'm already taking on some production work in multi-media locally and internationally (tv, doc's, films, etc), and most of the time i'll do composing, tracking, and mixing in my own place. occasionally i'll do the studio space thing, depending on projects/clients.

i'm sure you guys are well aware of the fact that in this biz, time is precious and there's nothing like rolling outta bed at 4am to be able to continue work; rather than making another commute (and spend more on gas or get in superburtm's way!).

i'm in a special circumstance here in Boston, where i'm lucky enough to share a place to live, as well as having accomodation that is pro enough to pull clients. this has been working out very well for me here, and hence trying to avoid the rented space as much as i can. so the loft/house thing sounds very plausible, and like mentioned, might be a good investment in the long-run.

i'll prob have to look for another job just to stay afloat (esp for Cali gas, tax, and loans/bills), hopefully still in the music realm. i have contacts in LA that can bring on more multi-media stuff, i can also do freelance, or perhaps simple local demo projects.. all in the air atm, but just trying to making a living off'f what i love doing! (so anybody hiring? lol...)
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
[QUOTE=theblotted]
i'm sure you guys are well aware of the fact that in this biz, time is precious and there's nothing like rolling outta bed at 4am to be able to continue work; rather than making another commute (and spend more on gas or get in superburtm's way!).

QUOTE]

heh

Yeah the key to happiness in Los Angeles IMO is to make alot of money AND live very very close to where you work.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The commute is a major factor and with gas prices around here it is of paramount importance to live very close to work. It cost me nearly $60 to fill-up yesterday. The least expensive station I've found for gas is the Exxon on the corner of Beverly/Fairfax and regular unleaded is goining for $3.45 per gallon.

Fortunatley, I live only 5.5 miles from the studio and my wife commutes to work only 3 miles.

Last edited by picksail; 9th May 2006 at 11:30 PM..
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

i'm surprised to hear this, i guess location really make a big difference. i'm doing 3/4 of that here, and got all utilities paid for. and i thought i'm getting a killer deal!

perhaps my impression of LA were all in the wrong places?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblotted
i'm surprised to hear this, i guess location really make a big difference. i'm doing 3/4 of that here, and got all utilities paid for. and i thought i'm getting a killer deal!

perhaps my impression of LA were all in the wrong places?
It all depends upon where you want to live and your personal standard of living.

RoundBadge lives a couple of blocks from me. I've seen 1,200 sq ft houses selling for $1.3 million on his street.

Real estate is easily $1k per sq ft over here.

We're waiting for another earthquake before we buy a house.

Last edited by picksail; 9th May 2006 at 11:35 PM..
Old 10th May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
i just rented a place that has 2 bdrm and a little square den (that will be mix room/proj space) for 2500/mo. It has a ridiculous view, and that's about it. The house is ****. I have been investing too much money and need to stop b/c it's not my house. Stick with a beach city, or los feliz/silverlake area and you'll be fine.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zkaudio
Stick with a beach city, or los feliz/silverlake area and you'll be fine.

Those are all trendy expensive spots..you ain't gonna find a bargain in those locations anymore.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
It all depends upon where you want to live and your personal standard of living.

RoundBadge lives a couple of blocks from me. I've seen 1,200 sq ft houses selling for $1.3 million on his street.

Real estate is easily $1k per sq ft over here.

Where do you guys live?

-R
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I
that's thinking positive
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKrizman
Where do you guys live?

-R
I'm near San Vicente/Fairfax.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
that's thinking positive
Just being realistic. Have you checked the real-estate market lately. Ridiculous!!!
πŸ“ Reply