Gimme that Tic Tac thing! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Gimme that Tic Tac thing!
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Gimme that Tic Tac thing!

I'm doing quite a bit of Americana/Country stuff recently and one thing that's been on my mind for a while is getting a 6-string bass/baritone guitar for that authentic 'Tic Tac' sound.

I just saw that there are new Danelectro Longhorn Baritones available: http://www.thomann.de/de/danelectro_...aritone_lb.htm

Is this 'the' Tic Tac-guitar? Is there a difference to a '6 string bass'? I know that Jerry Jones has a real nice version of these but I'm looking for something cheaper. I use both Dano reissue 12-string and Convertible guitars and I love them...we're not talking 'boutique investment' here.....
Old 9th May 2006
Moderator emeritus

🎧 15 years
The baritone guitar is tuned a 4th (ot 5th) lower than a standard guitar - the low string is usually either a B or an A; a 'tic-tac' is an octave lower than a guitar. And yeah, the Dano IS the tic-tac of choice (and has been for a few decades). A couple of the guys in the 1960's were playing an instrument by 'Microfrets", but most played Danelectros.

You'll want the '6 string bass' Danelectro.
Old 9th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Thanks Dave,

so would the new Dano be the right thing to use for 'Tic Tac'-ing, I ask this because it's labeled as a Baritone Long Horn?
Motown legend

🎧 15 years
Harold Bradley's Danelectro. Probably used on more country hits than any single other guitar in history!
Attached Thumbnails
Gimme that Tic Tac thing!-328691181107_0_alb.jpg  

Last edited by Bob Olhsson; 9th May 2006 at 06:53 PM..
Moderator emeritus

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker
Thanks Dave,

so would the new Dano be the right thing to use for 'Tic Tac'-ing, I ask this because it's labeled as a Baritone Long Horn?
if memory serves, the scale on the 6 string bass and the long horn is the same, soyou could use the longhorn as a tic-tac. But you'll need to put different strings on it, since it needs to be tuned lower than the baritone tuning.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I think Jerry Jones makes nice Danalectro-type things.

http://www.jerryjonesguitars.com/JJO_LHbass6.htm

JJ makes a Longhorn bass 6.

I've used both new and old Danelectros and Jerry Jones guitars.

They're all fun to play, but the workmanship on the JJ's is far beyond the Danos.

Seems like he basically took something that was ingenious in concept and gave it a build quality better than it ever had.

Last edited by max cooper; 9th May 2006 at 07:32 PM..
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…