The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Beyer M500
Old 9th May 2006
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Beyer M500

I've come across a Beyer M500 ribbon mic for around $315 and was wondering if that's a good deal. I'm only familiar with the Beyer M160 and RCA 77 as far as ribbons go, and though I assume the M500 is neither of those mics, how does is compare? Is $315 a good deal?
Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Search m500. It turned up 106 threads in which someone mentions the m500.

I've never owned or heard one.
Old 9th May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 15 years
$315 is a good deal for a german made ribbon but don't expect an M160 with a bargain price tage. different sound. can't really explain it. i don't use mine that much. it's not a bad mic at all it's just that most of the singers i have recorded don't sound good through it. not bad on cabs. probably god on hihat tho i haven't tried it. probably good on the right singer. nice mic if you want to tame any piercing/shrilly sounds.
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 15 years
A friend has a pair of M500s that he had modified by Stephen Sank. I have used them on drum overheads with great results. They have good high end detail. I used them on toms and they sounded great, but alas, this is a risky spot to place a fragile mic so I don't do that anymore. Also, I've gotten fantastic guitar sounds using an M500 and Josephson C42 together on guitar cabinet. I really like the M500, but I'm not sure how much the changes that Stephen Sank made affect the sound. Ironically, I hate this mic on vocals, which is what I believe it was designed for.
Lives for gear

10 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
I own two M500s and they are mostly used on overheads and cabs, very nice on hihat also...I don't think 315$ is a bad deal though...check if they are in perfect condition, because a lot of them on Ebay f.e. are with damaged ribbons - Beyerdynamic charges roughly 150$ for fixing that plus postage. I tried them on vocals on some occasions, they never won over the other mics. On electric guitar...so sweet: shiny but not shrill.
๐Ÿ“ Reply