Quantcast
Explain your Journey - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Explain your Journey
Old 9th May 2006
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Explain your Journey

This thread is geared (no pun intended) towards all you cats out there that are deep into the audio industry. If you can take a second to explain your trip to where you are today as well as let us know where you are today. This is not to brag or boast this is for my personal information. So all you humble hoes out there, calm down.
Old 9th May 2006

🎧 15 years
Mine is probably similar to a lot of the people who came up through the 60's and 70's.
Played in bands during high school. Always was the guy that tried to record our music. Studied architecture and acoustics in college, Cal Poly and UC Berkeley. Dropped out to pursue music full time (dumb, dumb, dumb) started palying in bands again, taught guitar lessons and worked on a ranch, livin' the late 60's lifestyle.
After scratching out a living for a couple of years went to work for a small company, Warehouse Sound Company, that was one of the first catalog sellers of audio gear. Stayed with them for 3-4 years and bought out their studio, which I had been running, and moved the stuff to an acre with an old house that my wife and I bought with building a studio in mind. During one of the slow times I worked for Nautilus Records and tried to sell $25 vinyl records into areas that were having a hard time paying $8 each for regular records. Not a lot of fun. Left them as the roof was falling in on their business. The studio took over the entire house and we moved our family to another house twenty years ago. The studio stayed in the original location and has been running for 30 years now. Some years it makes a decent profit and some years it runs on the edge of disaster. Usually it's about 3 to 5 years pretty good then a really tough year or two.
Thats it so far.
Old 9th May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Wow Rick, thank you for sharing that with me. Now let me explain my motives with this thread. I am torn. I past by the oportunity to go to a really good college to study audio at SAE (School of Audio Engineering) here in NyC. Which I don't regret one bit. I graduated school and my good friend at the time was a radio personality. He landed an on-air gig in Myrtle Beach and I went along and was producing the morning show. I then landed a gig as a traffic reporter in Florence, SC. Shortly after I came home on vacation and it just so happened that I got an interview with WABC Radio in New York. I ended up getting the engineer position here and this is where I am currently. Now my problem is, I belong, both in my heart and technically, in a professional recording studio. But interning is out of the question. I have bills to pay and my life to support. Granted I am only 21 and I guess have time to decide/transition, but from what I have gathered on this site, there is some very knowledgable and wise audio engineers and studio owners. Any light shed on my situation here would be great. Thanks guys.

And please keep the sotries coming.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Could you "moonlight" after your day gig and on weekends? This may allow you to learn some things and get your feet wet under some great engineer that you respect and has connections? It's kind of like interning, but it allows you to keep your day gig. This may open some doors, and might even get you a job with that studio.
Motown legend

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNy C
... I got an interview with WABC Radio in New York. I ended up getting the engineer position here and this is where I am currently....
There's no real alternative to interning if you want to be a studio engineer. You could probably land a gig producing commercials at a major studio however that wouldn't pay as well as WABC unless you were bringing in the client and it still wouldn't get you much closer to making records, assuming that's your goal.

Your next logical career step would probably be taking a job at a label where you might be able to work your way laterally into A&R and from there land a job assisting some top producer.

Last edited by Bob Olhsson; 9th May 2006 at 06:04 PM..
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
hey funny thing I'm in the exact same rut as you, I'm a head engineer at a radio station and have been working there for 9 years now. but studio and music is my thing. I've been moonlighting for those 9 years as well. so pretty much i work day and night, and week-ends as well. Only thing is although i wouldn't mind working in a studio, I'm looking into really doing my own thing, and running my own project studio. i wish i was you age because now i'm 31 and married, and just bought a house, so those bills keep coming in really fast.

anyway here's hoping we both find out paths really soon.

peace

🎧 15 years
John,
My feeling on the career path is that most of us ended up doing the studio thing 'cause of an undeniable compulsion, fascination, calling, addiction....call it what you will, it wasn't a rational decision process that we went through. If you have that "calling" inside you, the path will take care of itself. Little pieces of the puzzle will present themselves as you go along and your reactions to those little opportunities will forge the eventual path that you will take.
I know that it sounds a little metaphysical (wishy washy) but it really is the truth. This life is only for the truly hooked among us as the monetary rewards are not enough to carry you through the inevitable tough times. You are young enough that many opportunities are in your future.........you'll do what is most important to you and that will set your path.
Enjoy the journey, Rick
Old 10th May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Let me start off by saying thank you to the men that have replied above. You have just showed me a side of these forums which I have not seen. Very helpful to say the least.

Quote:
My feeling on the career path is that most of us ended up doing the studio thing 'cause of an undeniable compulsion, fascination, calling, addiction....call it what you will, it wasn't a rational decision process that we went through. If you have that "calling" inside you, the path will take care of itself.
Rick, I am going to have to agree. I know I have it burning inside me man. Every second of the day I think about the pro studio environment. Don't get me wrong, WABC studios isn't a slump by any means, but doing radio engineering can't compare to true engineering.

Quote:
Could you "moonlight" after your day gig and on weekends?
flail, I was thinking exactly that. The thing is I work weird hours at the station. Sometimes days sometimes overnights, and now I am the morning show back-up engineer. My boss tosses me around like whoa. If I can find a studio that is willing to work with me, then that is going to be my next move.

Quote:
anyway here's hoping we both find out paths really soon.
Inner, then you know what I am going through and I know what you are going through. Sure I take LOTS of pride in what I am doing and where I am; market one radio at the age of 21. But, I belong in a pro studio, mine or someone elses... and I KNOW that in my heart. I wish you the best man and PM me to keep in touch, I really think we could help each other along.

I also forgot to mention that I have been producing house records for 8 years (got my first professional synth at the age of 13). I am working on some projects with vocalists and performers that are already signed. So, me getting a deal is not far off (I would say another 2 months or so). So I can use this as a way into audio engineering as well.

Ultimately, I want to own my own pro or project studio in NJ or NyC. Nothing crazy, HD set-up with a Control 24. Some surround stuff, in-house recording. Whatever I can afford at that time until I can expand. If my music takes off, this shouldn't be too far-fetched.

Honestly though, I think this all goes back to Rick's wise words... "If you have that "calling" inside you, the path will take care of itself."

Thank you again gentlemen. All your wise words are more appreciated than you think.

Last edited by JohnNy C; 10th May 2006 at 01:43 AM..
πŸ“ Reply