Quantcast
What's your favorite power amp? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What's your favorite power amp?
Old 11th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Ok I still don't quite grasp this: As long as the output devices only know two states
ie on or off we have by definition a digital system.
If the output devices can assume other states we do not have a class D amp anymore...

I am confused, may be you could post a link to the amp you have in mind?
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tpa2010d1.pdf

Analog input - no clock - no data latch signal - analog output.

The audio is never encoded to PCM, DSD, ETC.

An RC oscilator (I imagine) generates ramp signals that are fed to comparitors which trigger the gate drivers through deglitchers.

A lot of SMPS are set up this way to, it's just that you are comparing to a DC reference instead of an audio signal.

-tINY

Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine
I'm looking for a power amp to power a pair of ADAM's ANF-10 monitors. Any suggestions?
Bel Canto. Old or new, they are all excellent. If you want clear, fast, accurate.

Steve
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks Tiny,
but what I see is a variation of a pwm amp which, like all pwm amps, produces a digital output (ouptput transistors are either on or off) which is converted back to analog by the loudspeaker. Exactly the same working principle as all other pwm (class D) amps.
The digitization isn't immediately obvious in the block diagram but thats because the amp itself is the a/d convertor. Just look at the output voltage: its either on or off; 1 or 0. You could store those (and some other necessary information) like in a pwm recording system or, as is the case here, connect a speaker and re-convert them in real time...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have a bryston 2b on my B+Ws, and a Hafler Pro 1200 driving my truth ta-p1s.

I dont hear any harshness with the bryston. I love them both.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.F.F.
Thanks Tiny,
but what I see is a variation of a pwm amp which, like all pwm amps, produces a digital output (ouptput transistors are either on or off) which is converted back to analog by the loudspeaker. Exactly the same working principle as all other pwm (class D) amps.
The digitization isn't immediately obvious in the block diagram but thats because the amp itself is the a/d convertor. Just look at the output voltage: its either on or off; 1 or 0. You could store those (and some other necessary information) like in a pwm recording system or, as is the case here, connect a speaker and re-convert them in real time...

Alright, have it your way...

I don't consider it that way as the outputs are not at quantized levels. Given the better schemes, they aren't really PWM either.

At the end of the day, the best sounding speaker set-up I ever heard was driven by switched Mosfet amplifiers. Speaker distortion is on the order of 0.1% for good ones and the best of these type of amplifiers have distortion on the order of 0.001% or less (and it's not enharmonic distortion).

-tINY

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams
A customer bought one and brought it by the shop in Van Nuys. A comparison to my GFA545 didn't go too well. He returned it that day and eventually found a used 545.

The Mk II's can sound very good with some Wima 3.3 uf polycarbonate caps (I have nos of these since polycarbonate film is no longer made) paralleled with audiopedophile InfiniCaps with MIT polyprop's, but the direct coupled design still has an edge as no cap is better than the best capacitor.

If I find a better amp for this price range I will post it, but none yet. I used to like those New Zealand Perroux amps back in the late 80's too.

Bryston and Hafler users usually hear what I'm talking about once they have a comparison next to them. Remember, everything sounds great until you hear something better.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

Jim,

If I did purchase the 545, how would I connect balanced TRS to RCA inputs on the 545?

Thanks
Founder

When I owned and loved a pair of NS10's my favorite amp for them was a Studer power amp. It had two large knurled silver volume knobs
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
It depends on the circuit of the source. If it's a ground compensated output like my Soundcraft's, the ring is grounded. If it's a transformer or cross coupled electronic balanced design, ground the ring. If it's a phase reversed output, float the ring. If it's an single ended output, ground the ring. Better to read the schematics of the source circuit before assuming anything.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

Hey Jim,

I appreciate your information. You've been a big help.

I would be connecting the Adcom 545 to a SPL 2381 Monitor Controller via XLR to RCA.

Looking at the diagram, am I right to think that one end would be balanced (2381) and the other unbalanced (RCA)?

Balanced XLR = TRS
Unbalanced RCA = 2 Pin / 1 & 3 Sheild

This make any sense?

Thanks again.
Attached Thumbnails
What's your favorite power amp?-xlr.jpg  
Old 12th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I would call the tech support for the source device before assuming you can ground pin 3. If it's a phase reversed output, that could blow the opamp that's being shorted to ground.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

Jim-

Good call. According to SPL, pin 3 and 1 are connected together and pin 2 is hot.

I did purchase an Adcom 545, and it does sound better than the Hafler P3000. Much warmer sound.thumbsup
Old 13th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Jim-

Have you ever tested your 545 along side a GFA 585? I have the opportunity to get one at a great price.
Old 12th August 2007
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I have had many amps-Audio Research, Krell, Muse, Crown, Acurus, NAD, Hafler, B&K, Pass Labs, etc, and I can say without a doubt that my former Audio Research D300 power amp was the best sounding amplifier I have ever owned. It was sweet from low to mid to highs. It had massive reserve power and could drive ANY loudspeaker with ease. You can find one used from time to time on Audiogon.com for around 1300-1500. It was 4000 new!
Old 24th August 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

ADCOM GFA-555 PRO ,flat and warm AMP.
Old 24th August 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have just bought a Dynamic Precision amp, sounds very good
with my b&w 801 speakers. thumbsup Made in Norway.

Dynamic Precision - Power to the Music

Old 26th October 2007 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams ➑️
Bipolar Adcoms. Brystons are too dark and harsh in the mids.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Yo Jim, anything available in the 300w RMS dept? I want to power Urei 813A's any bipolar ADCOM's you can suggest?

yes- bridge mode x 2
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I like my perreaux that is powering my lipinskis

someone is selling some perreauxs in the classifieds, part of a whole studio listing

narco
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've used Bryston 4b & 2b for years. Alwys been happy. I use them on JBL, Urei, Westlakes and Yamaha never heard a "harsh" sound.
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymite ➑️
Yo Jim, anything available in the 300w RMS dept? I want to power Urei 813A's any bipolar ADCOM's you can suggest?

yes- bridge mode x 2
GFA 555 x 2. Get two. They have a bridge mono switch right on the back, it's that easy to get 500 watts.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
What about T-amp?
I use it with the crappy Alesis Monitor One...but I'm very impressed of the sound.

N.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
phase linear 400's are my fav
Old 27th October 2007 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams ➑️
GFA 555 x 2. Get two. They have a bridge mono switch right on the back, it's that easy to get 500 watts.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
What about a balanced input ? can it be moded to recieve a balanced input and is it necessary and why/why not?
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
McIntosh.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by firby ➑️
Hafler DH500. Really nice amplifier used on ebay around 250-550 dollars.

Lots and Lots and Lots of juice. Very clean.

I run a pair mono-bridged. Effortless power, plenty of dampening and good sound. Mine are about 25 years old and going strong.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'll throw my names into the hat...

Jeff Rowland Model 5 (stereo) or Model 7 (mono-blocks)
Lipinski
Krell KSA and FPB (old non-glossy faced)
Pass Labs Aleph (totally different amp than the X stuff, although same designer)
Pass Labs X Series (the full Class-A line)
πŸ“ Reply