The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
active DI question
Old 7th May 2006
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
active DI question

Have a fundamental question about the following. I record in my basement using a snake that feeds my control room two stories up. When tracking a Rhodes or bass direct from the basement through an active direct box, I understand that I do not need to run into a mic preamp.

But it seems that some of you might be going from DI to preamp. Can I do this still or only if the direct box is passive? Interested in getting some color to add to the direct signal by running into an MP-2NV and then to the converters. . .
Old 7th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Of course you can run an active DI into a mic preamp - that's what DI boxes are made for.

If you want very clean, transparent tracks, you drive your A/D converter directly with an active box (something a passive DI probably can't do, unless you are using strong sources like keyboards or active guitars).

But if you want the extra color of a preamp, plug it in.
Old 8th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I recently learned that going into the HI-Z 1/4" on my API's avoids a transformer, which may or may not be a good thing, depending on the sound you want.

I don't know what other preamps are the same way.

When I want to hit the tranny, I use a direct box.

I'd like to throw another question into this thread, if I may.

Could someone explain the differences between active and passive D.I's as far as sound goes, and when you'd use which one?

Thanks.
📝 Reply