🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haigbabe

PS We still use SADiE and Samp.
And LOVING IT!
Old 9th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The cards cost about 2500 for the mother card and another 1500 for each daughter card.
So far I'm very happy with just the native.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Well, I will be using Pyramix this weekend on a project. Had to rent what was available, and in this case, pyramix was the only thing...My beloved Sequoia is without an interface for the present.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Well, I will be using Pyramix this weekend on a project. Had to rent what was available, and in this case, pyramix was the only thing...My beloved Sequoia is without an interface for the present.
Big Ray, Would love to know how that goes, keep us posted!

Thanks to all the opinions. A few possibilities here although Im still not convinced by anything other than PT. Having said that when I can finally afford to break out of Pro Tools LE land I wont be going the HD route so a software change will be certain. At that point it will be very much down to budget but Sequoia or SoundScape could be the one.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Using Sequoia here... I've used Pyramx a few times, but the learning curve drove me nuts. I had the hardest time figuring out what the thought process was behind it. It is *very* capable and stable, but in the end, I much prefer Sequoia for most work.

I do location would mostly with Sequoia and a bit with Pro Tools. I have 2 location rigs- one a computer with a Lynx 2 card built and designed by Sequoia Digital (the same folks that made Telarc's rig) and an iBook with a Digi002R for my "quick and dirty" jobs. They both have their place, but in the end, all editing and mastering happens in Sequoia.

Oh, and Sequoia and Samp use the exact same audio engine. One is not optimized more than the other. Sequoia has a host of features that are for the mastering and post production worlds. In the beginning, there really weren't huge differences. With each released version, those differences become more pronounced.

--Ben
Old 10th May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJRS
And LOVING IT!
The Trim Editor is my friend thumbsup

Cheers,

Haigbabe
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Mosrite,

Protools LE is great for certain jobs. I do use it a couple times a month for Voice over work and radio commercials. It has a certain edgy sound that works well for those genres.
Pyramix seems to be aimed at mastering and I believe has a pretty strong presence in many famous houses.
As Ben pointed out, the learning curve is high, but there is a logic to its operation and along with the manual I can usually figure most things out.
IMHO it has the most natural sound (colorless) sound of any DAW I've worked with.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don S
Mosrite,

Protools LE is great for certain jobs. I do use it a couple times a month for Voice over work and radio commercials. It has a certain edgy sound that works well for those genres.
Pyramix seems to be aimed at mastering and I believe has a pretty strong presence in many famous houses.
As Ben pointed out, the learning curve is high, but there is a logic to its operation and along with the manual I can usually figure most things out.
IMHO it has the most natural sound (colorless) sound of any DAW I've worked with.

As you say Don, it is complicated to learn, but a lot of that is down to its flexibility. I was previously a Sadie user (another great system with unbelievable customer support) and I moved to Pyramix about 4 years ago. At the time Sadie couldn't offer me the multitrack recording facilities we required and this was prior to their system 5 hitting the market. For multitrack work I was using Otari Radar and my mastering work was on a Sadie Classic. I bought Pyramix as a complete solution, 64 channel recorder/editor/mastering. We are also involved with DVD production so it provides facilities that are usefull for that.

If we didn't own Pyramix are next choice would almost certainly be Sadie, we master approximately 100 albums a year and having top flight CD mastering facilities is a must. On the multitracking front I would be happy with Pro-Tools HD, IMHO the new systems sound quality is much better than the old Mix system, however it would not be my system of choice for CD mastering, probably as much for the fact that not a lot of mastering facilities use them. Sequioa would be our next choice for mastering, but I would be unhappy to track more than a few tracks with native software, I also think the interface looks a little "clunky" for my liking. That its a good system I don't doubt.

Regards to all

Roland
Old 16th May 2011 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Sequoia is an excellent DAW, especially for Mastering.
πŸ“ Reply