Quantcast
Anyone here using a tc electronic Gold Channel? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Anyone here using a tc electronic Gold Channel?
Old 6th May 2006
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Anyone here using a tc electronic Gold Channel?

I had this pre amp a few years ago and sold it after I got tired of it. Now the 2 pres I have in my studio are both Tube Channel Strips (UA6176 and LA610). The gc covers a few bases for me from one box. First of all it has 2 channels, it has comp, eq, limiter, gate, etc and it is not Tube. What do you think of tc's converters by todays standards and what other choioces are there in about the (ebay/used) $700 to $800 range? It will be used mostly for vocals covering r&b and gospel for the most part. I just want an alternative to my tube pres and 2 ch would go the furthest as far as versatility is concerned. Also, you have to take into consideration all of the other features this box offers. Thanks for your thoughts

OneMan
Old 6th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I find the preamps in the GC to be pedestrian at best. The A to D and D to A convertors are a hair better sounding than my MOTU 2408 mkII and much better than my original Yamaha 02R so I do use them for final mixdown, but not for final output. I run a buss compressor and eq through the GC's "analog loop" and take the AES out to my MasterLink.

I think it's eq's, compressors, limiters and other first generation software processors suck, but I'm not a fan of TC's software processors, except their reverbs, which I love. Maybe if I had an M6000 I'd feel differently.
Old 6th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I like mine for what it is. I have a lot better stuff for pretty much everything it offers, but for many years it was my only outboard processor so I have tons of presets that I've tweaked to my liking over the years. The fact that you can save patches is a big plus, so if I'm just not getting what I want from my analog gear I can trust that I can get my old standby presets in the Gold Channel. I have a really great setting for my Jazz bass that I love to death. Although I've been using the DI on my Chameleon Labs 7602 and sending that into the GC and pretty much bypassing the GC's pre.
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Thanks for the feedback so far. These are the reponses I expected and it's the same way I felt about the GC except one thing. It was my first real pre amp and when I bought it, I liked it better than everything I tried at that time. So with that being said, I really liked the pres. I just grew tired of it over time. Nothing else out there will do what this box does especially at this price and descent converters to boot. Looks like I'm gonna have to buy one all over again....
....thanks for the thoughts.
OneMan
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
hi, I have 2 gold channels, one unit is connected from my Pc aardvarK directpro 24/96 (discontinued & waiting for my Saffire PRO comming soon) output, to the GC, then to my UA2192 then to analog stage, all units are clocked by the 2192 (the GC & the Directpro) I use the GC to get the Radiance Gen tool sound very good,also I use to dither my files to 16 bit conected to the Masterlink.
Im not using the PREAMS cause I have analog gear like isa 110, amek 9098 & manley dual mic,and sometimes I use it like a a/d converter for the analog preamps,in any format, an exelent tool
the other unit is in my room connected to my dvd player digital out, to the GC, then to my genelec 8040, the concerts & movies sound AMAZING, in stereo mode, I dont need a 5.1 sistem with this baby, I love itthumbsup
Old 16th May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Nut

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
i was thinking of getting one of these because i only have a digi 002 and one decent (well awesome) outboard mono mic pre. i haven't got ad/da converters other than the 002, so the features it would give me would be great for now, and then if i get an 8 channel ad/da with adat i can use the gold channel s/pdif for 10 channels of non 002 conversion! of course this theory falls apart if the gold channel also sounds like ass... how good can it possibly be at this price with that many features?
Old 16th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufuss Sewell
I have a really great setting for my Jazz bass that I love to death.
Hey Rufuss,

Care to share that Jazz Bass preset? I've got a Jazz and have yet to find a great sound for it with my 1272s or Twin Servo preamps + Fatso. Don't get me wrong, it sounds better than ever, but still not great. I'm looking to get closer to a P Bass sound, and figured I'm going to have to get a P Bass.
πŸ“ Reply