Quantcast
Anyone know where I can find a duduk player? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Anyone know where I can find a duduk player?
Old 6th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Anyone know where I can find a duduk player?

So, I've got this Middle-Eastern meets rock thing ala Zeppelin and I really want the intro to be this spacy, Arabic vibe with the droning bass note. I'd LOVE to have someone play duduk on it, which is the Armenian flute that's probably best known from Peter Gabriel's "The Last Tempation of Christ" soundtrack. Problem is, who the hell plays a duduk in Jacksonville, FL? I sure as hell don't know anyone. Any thoughts? Thanks. Later.
Old 6th May 2006
Lou Judson
I know a number of ME players here in California. I've put the word out for a duduk - hope you have interesting rhythms and sounds, ME is not using 4/4 much! Can you write in 13/9? heh... kidding.

Can you send samples and I'll see if I can arrange a session...

[email protected]
Old 6th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

I know and frequently work with a really really good duduk, mey, and zurna studio musician here in Istanbul. Ertan Tekin - basically the most recorded musician on those instruments.

PM me if you're interested - could do something over the internet.
Lou Judson
Very good, Oudplayer! I have at lest three here on the West Coast too. If we hear back from Matt, he'll be all set!

Matt? We are here for you...

Lou
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
You guys rule. I just don't want to offend any of these players by taking sounds that they are obviously fond of, and melding them with Western rock guitars, drums, etc. That's kind of what I do though What can I say... music is the universal language and I love mixing it up. I will post something soon when I can demo the song out. Thanks.
Old 6th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobby12
So, I've got this Middle-Eastern meets rock thing ala Zeppelin and I really want the intro to be this spacy, Arabic vibe with the droning bass note. I'd LOVE to have someone play duduk on it, which is the Armenian flute that's probably best known from Peter Gabriel's "The Last Tempation of Christ" soundtrack. Problem is, who the hell plays a duduk in Jacksonville, FL? I sure as hell don't know anyone. Any thoughts? Thanks. Later.
By the way, my comments about it being "best known" from the Last Tempation of Christ is referring to people in this part of the world. I'm sure it's much more well known for other things in countries besides the US. I'd love to learn to play it to be honest, but I have zero skills on wind instruments.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i know a great duduk player , and many other amazing ME players which i record a lot, but they all live in Israel .
Lou Judson
Just for completion, one player I know in Seattle comes from Arkansas and would love to do it.

So Looks like Matt is helped, now it is up to him.

What a great network!

<L>
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The duduk player in this band is great, very expressive, but he's in here in LA.

http://www.yuvalronmusic.com/home.ht...html~mainFrame

I'll ask around as well.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hello Matt.

Would you care to post or email an mp3 of the track?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yeah, let me go copy it. It's just a demo for us to work on the vox. It's very repetitive and boring right now. I'll post it ASAP. Keep in mind I want to redo the intro with no drums and just the droning bass notes with some duduk and maybe guitar. Not sure yet... I'm open to suggestions. At this point, the whole thing might get reworked. Thanks.
Old 7th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Here's the track.
Attached Files

Firewater.mp3 (5.29 MB, 220 views)

Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Pedro Eustache sounds nice on Paul McCartney's Chaos album (song: Jenny Wren).

Whoever played Duduk on The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe movie sounds good, too. (It's not a Duduk that Mr. Thomas is playing in the movie, but I'm told that the sound is actually a Duduk).

Good luck.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Does anyone know where I can buy one from? I have been looking for them online because I would love to learn how to play it. I cant seem to find them anywhere.

Thanks
Jason
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwnc
Does anyone know where I can buy one from? I have been looking for them online because I would love to learn how to play it. I cant seem to find them anywhere.

Thanks
Jason
duduk.com has some for sale and some instructional videos. Keep in mind that it's a double reed instrument so it would probably be on a scale with an oboe in terms of difficulty in getting a good sound, although probably not quite as hard considering that it's a larger reed. The fingering looks tricky though and it requires some skill to get chromatic notes.

I absolutely love the sound, and yes, as far as I know that was a duduk that Mr. Tumnus the fawn from Narnia was playing... but you're right, they didn't call it that in the movie (good movie too BTW).
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorisinger
Pedro Eustache sounds nice on Paul McCartney's Chaos album (song: Jenny Wren).

Whoever played Duduk on The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe movie sounds good, too. (It's not a Duduk that Mr. Thomas is playing in the movie, but I'm told that the sound is actually a Duduk).

Good luck.
I didn't know that's Pedro! It's a great track. I've worked with Pedro and he's just an awsome wind player.
πŸ“ Reply