Quantcast
DBX 900 Frame and modules.... - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DBX 900 Frame and modules....
Old 26th April 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
DBX 900 Frame and modules....

Ok, I've got by accident today a frame of DBX 900 for $20.00.
Is it worth to by the modules? I've never used one, and I'm thinking about that. If it is, which one do you guys recommend? Somebody here must have used one.

903 Compressor, EQ, or Aphex...
Any suggestion is appreciate.
Mozart
Old 26th April 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Net Gain == $880 USD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozart
Ok, I've got by accident today a frame of DBX 900 for $20.00.
Well you got a deal; they sell for $900.
Old 26th April 2006 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Did it come with any modules? A full 900 will sell for almost $1k, but the rack unit itself with no modules is still several hundred dollars....good deal!
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Well... it sucks, but I'll give you 50 bucks for it??????????????? Kidding, fill it with modules and be happy for a lifetime!

Regards...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Ok, I'll definitelly try some modules, but before start buying, I'd like to hear your sugestion of what module to buy; which one are worth, (comp, EQ...).
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If you like dbx160x than the comp is great, the deesser is very good, there is a nice 2 slot flanger (or was it a phaser or a chorus) modul that is rare and nice. The EQs have a agressiv, forward mid sound that might rawk on guitar.
There are some Aphex modules that might work as well, but you need the dbx PSU that suports them!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have a 900 rack that has all sorts of power issues. Anyone have any suggestion for fixing it. LEDS pop in and out, singal goes in but doesnt come out... anyone?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I loved these modules. IΒ΄ve worked with the comp, gate and the de-esser.
Cool stuff!
A frame for 20 bucks? Go for it!
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
definitely get yourself a couple of 902s, the de-esser modules. They're pretty cool.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yeah the de-eeser and comp are MUST haves.

Other stuff to look out for is the Aphex and BBE.

Funny the SSL X-rack always reminds me of the dbx (without the Total Recall of course!)
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Ohh, i forgot to mention the so-called PLM mode of the 900 series gates.
Once the PLM button is engaged the gate just opens for one time and
will not shut again... this is great for cleaning tracks (or your mix) when
thereΒ΄s not a DAW but a ****ty analog mix environment.

Nice feature...
Old 10th May 2006 | Show parent
Deleted User
I just bought one of these today as well. It is the 900A frame with 2 of the 903 comps and 2 of the Aphex Aural Exciters.
Mmmm, I cant wait to get it in. I love the DBX 160x compressor and the 903 is the lunchbox reincarnation of that.
I would love to hear the 905 EQ's. Any more thoughts on those?
jhg
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
902 rock(notice there's no ess)

Good score for $20. Very good(envious glare)

The 902 de-esser is an excellent use for a couple of slots. A couple of gates and compressors, an eq and a flanger or phaser, good use of 4 RU.

regards,

jhg
Ken
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
902!

The 902 is a great cutting de-esser. A little bit goes a long way.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchcraft
I have a 900 rack that has all sorts of power issues. Anyone have any suggestion for fixing it. LEDS pop in and out, singal goes in but doesnt come out... anyone?
Hi Switchcraft, replace the 900 rack ASAP!
I had all kinds of problems with my 900 rack I got on a trade.
Bought all kinds of modules, and only some would work.
You can get an unloaded 900 for 2 bills and under ALL DAY LONG on ebay.
I just got a replacement. It looked like crap, way worse than the pix on ebay.
I couldn't belive the dude coudn't have cleaned the thing up at all...
But it works GREAT!!!
All my mods are singing along, I'm stoked.
The 903's are nice. Better than a dbx 166, but not as good as a dbx 160 VU.
They are GREAT on bass guitar!
Everyone seems to like the 902's, will try them in a mix soon.
The aphex compellors are nice too, just don't get too many aphex, they soak up power.
My faves are the 905 eq's.
Also,
Mozart...
be prepared to wire that thing, its barrier strip.

sorry for going on, but I spent a month dicking with the old frame, get a new on one ebay and be happy!

Last edited by Rednose; 10th May 2006 at 10:31 AM..
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdyrocker
I just bought one of these today as well. It is the 900A frame with 2 of the 903 comps and 2 of the Aphex Aural Exciters.
Mmmm, I cant wait to get it in. I love the DBX 160x compressor and the 903 is the lunchbox reincarnation of that.
I would love to hear the 905 EQ's. Any more thoughts on those?
The eq's are hard to come by.
Once in a great while they pop up on ebay.
I've gotten one for $125.00.
I've bid on a bunch, but in the last 3 months, there have been no 905 cards on ebay.
Its a great eq for $125.00.
A bit surgical, but way better than my Allen Heath and please don't even try to compare it to a plug in, much better!
Its also a bit hard to use because its so compact. Same goes for the Aphex compellor, but they sound [email protected]
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
As the owner of a couple fully loaded 900 racks I can say that there is an upside to them and a downside.

The downside is that buying 900 modules on eBay is risky business, I've had many modules advertised as 100% arrive not working. Particularly pesky have been 903 and 904 modules, especially the older silver sided units. It's very hard to impossible to get them fixed, as they have been long discontinued. Don't know about the Aphex modules because they are newer and I've not had any trouble with the ones I've bought.

The other issue is that if you are planning to use two 903 or 904 modules as a stereo pair you need to make sure you get consecutive or close serial numbers. DBX made many different manufacturing runs of these things, and redesigned the circuit boards along the way. They used different parts in different runs as well. However, the model number never changed in all those years, no "A" or "B" or any distinction made between the different designs. The sound of the units changed slightly over the years, and I found the gating action of the 904 changed as well. So just be sure to get matching pairs for stereo work.

The upside is that you can fit a whole lot of good sounding signal processing power into three rack spaces. I've got a pair of 903's, some 904 gates, and 905 eqs (which always have a higher price tag than the 903/904s). $125 for a 905 is cheap, I've seen them go for more than that.

Modules from other manufacturers that I have for the 900 rack is the BBE 702, Aphex Aural Exciter, Aphex Expressor and gates. If you can get some Expressor 9651's for a good price that would be a good thing, they are an exceptional compressor in my opinion.

Have fun!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have ...
(2) DBX 905 EQs
(2) 904 Noise Gates
(2) 903 Compressors
(1) Aphex aural exciteer....
I cant get signal through any of them. I heard these guys had an issue with their PSs. Do you think I should just repair the whole frame?
thanks
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Did they work at one time and then stop working, or just never worked? Does the power light come on? Also, are you sure they are wired properly?

It seems very unlikely that all those modules would be down at the same time (unless they got fried somehow).

Rather than repair, I'd suggest keeping your eyes out on eBay and just pick up another 900 rack frame. Probably cost you less than repairing the one you have.
Old 16th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert
Did they work at one time and then stop working, or just never worked? Does the power light come on? Also, are you sure they are wired properly?

It seems very unlikely that all those modules would be down at the same time (unless they got fried somehow).

Rather than repair, I'd suggest keeping your eyes out on eBay and just pick up another 900 rack frame. Probably cost you less than repairing the one you have.
yeah, you cant get a 900 frame repaired.
If you could it would be $150.00 and you can get one ALL DAY on ebay.
I've been looking at 900 racks for the better part of a year.
There there all the time!
Old 16th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
the 902 is the DBX's reason to exist...the most revered d-esser ever..and tho i have asked Tom at DBX to make stuff people want...they havent found a way to replicate the original 160...or make a de-esser
The first racks had barrier strips...and despite holding 9 modules...only powered 8
I still have a 903...904...and i bet no one has ever seen a 907 (stereo link module)
Old 14th July 2017
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Hi everyone

I am tempted to get a pair of 904 noise gates... Any opinion on these?
I'd use them mainly to gate snare drums, or other drums, kind of what I would do with a Kepex for that 70s sound.

Are the 904 playing in the same league, or are they a completely different beast?
I love the tone of the Kepex / Dynamite, and the way they compress the signal while being only a Noise Gate device...

Thanks a lot

Thomas
πŸ“ Reply