Quantcast
Wiring issues with custom guitars - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Wiring issues with custom guitars
Old 31st December 2011
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Wiring issues with custom guitars

I have a few custom (handmade, USA) guitars from Washburn, BC Rich etc which are fantastic guitars except for one thing: All of them are humming badly if the amp is not grounded properly. What I have noticed is that their wiring is done with cheap thin wires with no shielding. I took the time to re-wire one of them completely with shielded wires and new shield paint etc and it is now dead quiet. I have seen this on several makes that their custom made guitars are not as good as their factory guitars when it comes to wiring. Strange ...
Old 31st December 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
That is strange, as the custom lines are usually more expensive. This has intrigued me to open up a few of my own!
Old 31st December 2011
Lives for gear

10 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Over time you will notice most guitar manufacturers don't give a flying toss about the right way to wire a guitar, everybody just repeating the same blatant errors.
The right way to wire a guitar is with star grounding and some good quality shielded cable. One badly informed website recommending against star grouding stated "No matter how you wire the guitar all the grounds must converge at the output jack." (facepalm)
If it would be THAT easy, your studio could never develop a ground loop issue, because all your ground does converge at the central house tap to the electricity plant, or ground lug or wherever.

Grounding wires want to run as branches in a tree, they do NOT want to form a loop anywhere, because the loop area will act as an antenna. This is the simple version, there's more to the topic.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…