The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Neumann KH 120 Review
Old 7th December 2020 | Show parent
  #301
Lives for gear
 
pencilextremist's Avatar
 
9 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G ➡️
That's frustrating as I have 2 broken 0300 monitors I was hoping sennheiser UK could fix. I guess they're done then. I still have a working pair which I love but it's disconcerting that they won't service them anymore. It's also making me wish I hadn't bought 0310's and 120's.
I repaired my kh120's for a total sum of £35 earlier this year, there seems to be a problem with some of the caps going after a few years, send me a message if you need a parts list.
Old 9th December 2020 | Show parent
  #302
Here for the gear
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pencilextremist ➡️
I repaired my kh120's for a total sum of £35 earlier this year, there seems to be a problem with some of the caps going after a few years, send me a message if you need a parts list.
I would appreciate also if you could share with me the parts list!
Old 9th December 2020 | Show parent
  #303
Lives for gear
 
pencilextremist's Avatar
 
9 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGeO ➡️
I would appreciate also if you could share with me the parts list!
PM sent!
Old 3rd March 2021 | Show parent
  #304
At1
Here for the gear
 
At1's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Hey mate, sorry for the late response, after shipping them to music store where they were bought, they analyzed them and said nothing was wrong with them :\ the fact is that if I max them out and play sound one of the speakers peaks first then the other, givin me the idea that one of them is playing louder although to my ears they seem balanced in SPL
Old 7th March 2021
  #305
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Though I really like these monitors, I wouldn't buy another pair of monitors that have a light in them that could break. My speakers sound great but one light no longer works and it is not under warranty.
Old 8th April 2021 | Show parent
  #306
Here for the gear
 
BoldEquation's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I thought I would add my experience with these for any potential buyers/current users.
I've had a set for about 7 years now. Just in the last year I moved and finally built a real studio room. I had other monitors (Adam A7X and Eris 5XT) but sold them to focus on the KH120 and ended up buying the Neumann KH750 Sub.
I have a 15' x 13' x 7' basement corner room with plenty of rockwool traps on the walls and ceiling.
Initially I put the 120's on stands and placed the right against the wall & spaced about 5 feet apart, with me sitting in the triangle. I did a ton of listening, they sound incredible and very detailed, but I found that they didn't have enough punch for electronic music as someone had mentioned in an earlier comment.
I was making and mixing tracks and setting all the drums too loud and leaving too much low mid in the mix. One track I used for reference was Daft Punk - Revolution 909, which slams in my car and is one reference benchmark. I found that it didn't have that punch with the KH120 and was difficult to wrap my brain around in the context of creating electronic music.
I decided to take out the stands and put the KH120's right on my desk (custom built 4' wide by 20" deep) sitting on Isoacoustic stands on either side of my monitor. The desk is about 3 feet away from the front wall.
The difference in the sound was night and day! The sound is a little more dry and focused, and all the punch is there and probably a greater sense of depth in the mix. The monitors are only 2 feet apart and I'm still in the triangle.
Mixing adjustments are very easy to hear now, I could easily hear that my old mixes had drums too loud or sounded muddy, and the Daft Punk track sounds closer to what I heard in the car.
My advice would be that these monitors can be very different depending how your room or placement is, so don't expect to just set them up anywhere and get results. I would also recommend the 750 sub for electronic music.
Old 13th April 2021
  #307
Gear Addict
 
🎧 15 years
I love them to bits. <3

The only thing I needed to get used to was their bass. But once I got my head around that, I completely fell in love with these babies.

I wonder if the KH120 D would be worth the money in my case.

(KH120 A here)
Old 13th April 2021
  #308
Lives for gear
 
Paul_G's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I haven't got round to getting mine repaired yet as my techs are all too busy. Sennheiser want £240 basic for an out of warranty repair. Jokers. I'd rather buy a replacement monitor.
Old 13th April 2021 | Show parent
  #309
Lives for gear
 
sirjuxtable's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G ➡️
I haven't got round to getting mine repaired yet as my techs are all too busy. Sennheiser want £240 basic for an out of warranty repair. Jokers. I'd rather buy a replacement monitor.
Paul - apologies if you mentioned this earlier in the thread - but what are you using in place of the Neumanns nowadays?

Last edited by sirjuxtable; 13th April 2021 at 05:19 PM.. Reason: grammar is hard
Old 13th April 2021 | Show parent
  #310
Lives for gear
 
Paul_G's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjuxtable ➡️
Paul - apologies if you mentioned this earlier in the thread - but what are you using in place of the Neumanns nowadays?
They were never in my main room. I use them in a writing room.
I generally use the Amphion One15, PMC IB2i and KH310's for mixing.
Old 11th November 2021
  #311
Here for the gear
Turn the volume knob to -15dB and you can still hear the sound while playing music.Is this normal?
Old 15th November 2021 | Show parent
  #312
Gear Nut
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopQuark ➡️
I'm posting here after salivating for the KH120's for too long. Add me to the list who fell for the hype. The KH120 is being compared to the Adam A7X so it must be a lot better than my Adam A5X. Big mistake. I set the speakers up for critical listening. I much prefer the A5X over the KH120's with a good DAC.

The KH120 are a lot more forgiving. Give them a crappy DAC and they will sing. The A5X on the other hand sounds too warm and and too dark. Bass is like a thump. Lack of bass extension. The highs are irritating and lifeless. I have to dial the tweeter pot 2 notches down but still doesn't sound as as good as the KH120. Forget about the bass. KH120 got it regardless of which DAC.

On a good DAC, however, that's where it all ends. The KH120's do not produce clear separation between instruments. Vocals sounds like there is huge mouth 1 ft in diameter singing in front of me. The edges are muddy harsh and highs are rough to non-existent and they appear all over the place. Moving to A5X, they have very precise imaging and depth. The speakers are in a triangle position where I listen to but there is a huge orchestra 5 to 10 ft away from me. Very transparent. The highs are very sweet. With a Sub8 and crossover dialed to about 75-80Hz, the low end is not an issue. I can listen to very low volume level and the sound coming out is still very clear.

I wanted to like the KH120 since they cost me twice as much as the A5X but no matter how I set them up, I cannot make them sound as good as the A5X. I am not sure if it is because I use the Adam Sub8 on both set-ups. But even with XLR cables plugged in directly to the monitors from the DAC bypassing the sub, I still cannot get the KH120's to sound as clear.

Just for critical listening on a desktop and not mixing, the A5X got it for me. I'll set the KH120 to my bedroom 10 ft apart from each other hoping I can get clearer imaging. We'll see.

By the way, I tested the monitors using LH Labs Pulse-Infinity DAC - matched femto clocks, naked resistors, PCM and DSD256, Lightspeed split USB cable, LH Labs LPS on the DAC and sMS-200 music server, iSO-CAT6, Intona, Gotham Quad XLR's, Roon, and direct to PC running Foobar with SOtM tX-USBexp.

https://gearspace.com/board/attachme...w-dsc_0162.jpg
I have Adam A7X and Adam sub 7 the little one. Tested kh 120 and compared and felt that with my sound card fireface ucx kh 120 did not give me anything more maybe kh 120 had a little more bass but not in lower down and with Adam sub 7 and Adam A7X there was no competition. Kh 120 sounds good and a lot of bass but it does not go that far down, you have to guess when you mix. No monitor is perfect some may think Adam sounds a bit sharp and even mid not as prominent as Focal Solo be or ns 10 but in the right room and sound card it works reasonably. You have to listen to other mixes on your monitors and then mix your own songs in the same way.
Old 16th February 2022 | Show parent
  #313
Here for the gear
 
KH120 upgrade

Hey guys. I’m thinking of an upgrade from my Neumanns KH120. They seem very accurate and hard to beat. So I find it difficult to find an obvious step up. What would you propose?
It seems I don’t really need bass extension, because I mix only acoustic music and I high pass everything above 75 - 80 Hz. Also KH120 behave very good in my room. They are completely flat in frequency response above 400 Hz. And as I know all of the major studios experience some issues below 400 Hz due to floor bounce and SBIR effect.

What monitors do you think are a lot superior in accuracy, transient response and translate better?

I have some thoughts in mind. Probably this would be Hedd type 20 or 30, ATC scm25 or Barefoots. What do you think?

I don’t want to swap them for expensive monitors just for some marginal improvements.
Old 16th February 2022 | Show parent
  #314
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiss ➡️
Hey guys. I’m thinking of an upgrade from my Neumanns KH120. They seem very accurate and hard to beat. So I find it difficult to find an obvious step up. What would you propose?
It seems I don’t really need bass extension, because I’m mix only acoustic music and I high pass everything above 75 - 80 Hz. Also KH120 behave very good in my room. They are completely flat in frequency response above 400 Hz. And as I know all of the major studios experience some issues below 400 Hz due to floor bounce and SBIR effect.

What monitors do you think are a lot superior in accuracy, transient response and translate better?

I have some thoughts in mind. Probably this would be Hedd type 20 or 30, ATC scm25 or Barefoots. What do you think?

I don’t want to swap them for expensive monitors just for some marginal improvements.
If they translate well, then maybe you don't need to upgrade?

One thing I would suggest is to try and audition something in the ballpark of whatever your budget is and see if it makes a difference for you.

Especially now i've got the MA and KH750 sub, I think i'd have to spend some serious moolah to come close to the setup for my room - and I've become very used to the KH120, having had them now for over 8 years.

Maybe considering the K750 sub and MA1 is something you should also think about? Not only did the sub really help with my low-end decision making, the adjustments elevated my KH120As as well with better imaging and clarity.
Old 16th February 2022 | Show parent
  #315
Here for the gear
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gollumsluvslave ➡️
If they translate well, then maybe you don't need to upgrade?

One thing I would suggest is to try and audition something in the ballpark of whatever your budget is and see if it makes a difference for you.

Especially now i've got the MA and KH750 sub, I think i'd have to spend some serious moolah to come close to the setup for my room - and I've become very used to the KH120, having had them now for over 8 years.

Maybe considering the K750 sub and MA1 is something you should also think about? Not only did the sub really help with my low-end decision making, the adjustments elevated my KH120As as well with better imaging and clarity.
You are right gollumsluvslave. I believe it’s kind of my nature to constantly look for something better and try to push the limits)

It’s not possible to get monitors in Russia for auditioning in your room. You need to order them and wait for 2 month and there is no return policy. So I want to collect opinions. I understand it’s not perfect solution, but it’s always better to know what other folks think.

Cheers.
Old 16th February 2022 | Show parent
  #316
Lives for gear
 
Russell Dawkins's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiss ➡️
You are right gollumsluvslave. I believe it’s kind of my nature to constantly look for something better and try to push the limits)

It’s not possible to get monitors in Russia for auditioning in your room. You need to order them and wait for 2 month and there is no return policy. So I want to collect opinions. I understand it’s not perfect solution, but it’s always better to know what other folks think.

Cheers.
You might consider trying to get a listen to Super Cubes, since they are made in Russia:
http://www.dmaxaudio.com/en/sc5
Old 16th February 2022 | Show parent
  #317
Here for the gear
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Dawkins ➡️
You might consider trying to get a listen to Super Cubes, since they are made in Russia:
http://www.dmaxaudio.com/en/sc5
O, cool, thank you Russell I didn’t know about these monitors.
Old 16th February 2022 | Show parent
  #318
Lives for gear
 
Russell Dawkins's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiss ➡️
O, cool, thank you Russell I didn’t know about these monitors.
You might want to see this thread:
DMAX Audio Introduces the Super Cubes 5 Active Near-Field monitors.
Old 17th February 2022
  #319
Lives for gear
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Now that my 120s have been fixed (both had the crackling noise issue within six months of new) they are only getting replaced by atc 25 when I get a windfall. The 750 sub and ma1 take the 120s to a completely different zone.
Old 17th February 2022 | Show parent
  #320
Lives for gear
 
thismercifulfate's Avatar
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by earwolf ➡️
Now that my 120s have been fixed (both had the crackling noise issue within six months of new) they are only getting replaced by atc 25 when I get a windfall.
That’s the upgrade I made. My only regret is that I didn’t do it sooner, but yeah it takes time to save up for the atcs.
Old 17th February 2022 | Show parent
  #321
Lives for gear
 
dickiefunk's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiss ➡️
Hey guys. I’m thinking of an upgrade from my Neumanns KH120. They seem very accurate and hard to beat. So I find it difficult to find an obvious step up. What would you propose?
It seems I don’t really need bass extension, because I mix only acoustic music and I high pass everything above 75 - 80 Hz. Also KH120 behave very good in my room. They are completely flat in frequency response above 400 Hz. And as I know all of the major studios experience some issues below 400 Hz due to floor bounce and SBIR effect.

What monitors do you think are a lot superior in accuracy, transient response and translate better?

I have some thoughts in mind. Probably this would be Hedd type 20 or 30, ATC scm25 or Barefoots. What do you think?

I don’t want to swap them for expensive monitors just for some marginal improvements.
I'm in a similar position. I've been considering upgrading my KH120/Eve TS108sub and am considering PSI A17m, Adam s2v and PMC Result6's. I've heard great things about the PSI's and mixed things about the PMC's and Adams. Ideally I would like to have all three hear to audition at the same time but simply don't have the funds. Also, I am looking to buy secondhand.
However, I've found my KH120's to be really good monitors and they translate pretty well. What I would like is something with a little more low end but not too much. I'm finding my KH120's by themselves could do with a fraction more bass extension.
Old 18th February 2022 | Show parent
  #322
Here for the gear
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk ➡️
I'm in a similar position. I've been considering upgrading my KH120/Eve TS108sub and am considering PSI A17m, Adam s2v and PMC Result6's. I've heard great things about the PSI's and mixed things about the PMC's and Adams. Ideally I would like to have all three hear to audition at the same time but simply don't have the funds. Also, I am looking to buy secondhand.
However, I've found my KH120's to be really good monitors and they translate pretty well. What I would like is something with a little more low end but not too much. I'm finding my KH120's by themselves could do with a fraction more bass extension.
I’m going to check out Super Cubes this weekend. Will let you know what my impressions are)
Old 18th February 2022 | Show parent
  #323
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk ➡️
I'm in a similar position. I've been considering upgrading my KH120/Eve TS108sub and am considering PSI A17m, Adam s2v and PMC Result6's. I've heard great things about the PSI's and mixed things about the PMC's and Adams. Ideally I would like to have all three hear to audition at the same time but simply don't have the funds. Also, I am looking to buy secondhand.
However, I've found my KH120's to be really good monitors and they translate pretty well. What I would like is something with a little more low end but not too much. I'm finding my KH120's by themselves could do with a fraction more bass extension.
In that setup I can't recommend the KH750 / MA1 combo strong enough. I've been stoked with the improvements since I got mine

Not up on the Eve sub but the improvement on the KH120 from the calibration is noticeable - and the sub is fantastic too, a massive step up from my previous Presonus sub
Old 19th February 2022 | Show parent
  #324
Lives for gear
 
dickiefunk's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gollumsluvslave ➡️
In that setup I can't recommend the KH750 / MA1 combo strong enough. I've been stoked with the improvements since I got mine

Not up on the Eve sub but the improvement on the KH120 from the calibration is noticeable - and the sub is fantastic too, a massive step up from my previous Presonus sub
I've considered the KH750 but my initial thoughts is this would be too much for my room. This sub goes even lower than the EVE TS108 sub. Also, I don't like the fact that you need an ipad and another router to control this sub.
Ideally I'd like to move away from using a sub and have just a single pair of speakers with slightly more bass extension as I think this would integrate into my room better.
Old 20th February 2022 | Show parent
  #325
Here for the gear
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk ➡️
I've considered the KH750 but my initial thoughts is this would be too much for my room. This sub goes even lower than the EVE TS108 sub. Also, I don't like the fact that you need an ipad and another router to control this sub.
Ideally I'd like to move away from using a sub and have just a single pair of speakers with slightly more bass extension as I think this would integrate into my room better.
Guys, I listened to Super Cubes 5 today. They are impressive, the sound stage and separation are unbelievable. The sound is very balanced. Though I found that the bass is a bit loose and weak.
But it’s not an issue for me, because I mix only acoustic music.

So I decided to buy them to complement my Neumanns KH120 :-)
Old 20th February 2022 | Show parent
  #326
Here for the gear
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by thismercifulfate ➡️
That’s the upgrade I made. My only regret is that I didn’t do it sooner, but yeah it takes time to save up for the atcs.
Thismercifulfate, what are your impressions of ATC25 compared to the Neumanns? Do you use room correction?
Old 21st February 2022 | Show parent
  #327
Lives for gear
 
thismercifulfate's Avatar
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiss ➡️
Thismercifulfate, what are your impressions of ATC25 compared to the Neumanns? Do you use room correction?
The dedicated midrange on the ATC’s gives a level of detail in the crucial midrange that 2-ways can’t offer. The bass extension and clarity are noticeable right away as well. The biggest difference though has been how my average mix time has been cut down. The ATC’s have taken guess work and having to check on many other systems out of the routine and give me confidence. It results in mixes getting done quickly and fewer recalls.

I mix in a Russ Berger design room so I don’t use any room correction.
Old 23rd February 2022 | Show parent
  #328
Here for the gear
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by thismercifulfate ➡️
The dedicated midrange on the ATC’s gives a level of detail in the crucial midrange that 2-ways can’t offer. The bass extension and clarity are noticeable right away as well. The biggest difference though has been how my average mix time has been cut down. The ATC’s have taken guess work and having to check on many other systems out of the routine and give me confidence. It results in mixes getting done quickly and fewer recalls.

I mix in a Russ Berger design room so I don’t use any room correction.
Cool, thank you for sharing. Probably one day I’ll buy ATC) Though prices in Russia are rocketing through the sky now ������ so I hope Super Cubes mids clarity will do for now.
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
  #329
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
Anyone of you ever compared a pair of IKMultimedia iLoud MTM with the KH120a ? What was your impression, please?
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 1262 views: 319875
Avatar for MRAUTOMATIC
MRAUTOMATIC 8th January 2022
replies: 108 views: 54053
Avatar for ISedlacek
ISedlacek 18th March 2013
replies: 65 views: 62387
Avatar for Deleted b0d0e05b0ec65a7
Deleted b0d0e05b0ec65a7 8th March 2020
replies: 234 views: 50587
Avatar for alainH
alainH 24th June 2015
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump