Quantcast
SDC on vocals, WOW! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SDC on vocals, WOW!
Old 2nd December 2011
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
SDC on vocals, WOW!

A friend of mine sent me a couple of vocal files for a demo we're working on, it was just a small part of the song and it sounded fantastic, very modern and lots of nice detail, and it just sounded so much better than the rest of the vocals on that song.

The rest of the vocals was recorded with a Neumann U67 into a Vintage Design CA73 (hi end neve clone) and apogee ensemble converters. I asked him what he used and he told me it was a cheap SDC called Line Audio CM2 into his Presonus Firestudio Mobile. Really cheap stuff.

I actually have a pair of CM2 at home but I never really liked them so they have just been lying around not being used very much, anyway I tried it on my voice, straight into my Apogee Duet, and my voice has never sounded better, really tight and that in your face punch. Maybe not an all-round sound but for modern pop where the vocals just have to cut through its perfect! I might sound like a salesman for Line Audio now, but the CM2 is actually out of production.

I am just stunned, anyone else had great results with SDC on vocals? Cant wait to try our Beyerdynamic MC930 on vocals the next time i'm in the studio!!
Old 2nd December 2011
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I have had great success with the MG M300 on vocals.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 2nd December 2011
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
MK012 w/omni cap amp'd by the EH 12AY7 tube mic pre is what I use for my vocals.
Old 2nd December 2011
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Have been impressed with a Schoeps CMC64 on vocals, absolutely! Maybe it was the distance required to dodge plosives, but it sounded tighter, smaller, a touch "chalky" (in a good way) and just took up less room in the mix, suited the job perfectly. Josh Groban apparently sang into one at some point, or so I've read. I just think to use one if after a "tighter, leaner, natural" presentation. Or so it seemed to me...
Old 2nd December 2011
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I like the KM184 pointed at the forehead like the Black Keys did on Brothers. It works great.
Old 2nd December 2011
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I've used a Neumann Gefell M582 on female vox with the M58 capsule, I thought the result was wonderful. I think SDC mics are so often overlooked in this kind of application it makes a pretty dramatic impression when folks give it a try.
Old 2nd December 2011
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Ok, so i'm not crazy, nor alone haha! Most posts I read about SDCs, people DONT recommend them for vocals. Anyway, I'm happy I found this out now, and i'm glad I didn't know what he was using, I just recognized it sounded really great!
Old 2nd December 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGreen ➑️
I have had great success with the MG M300 on vocals.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Gearslutz.com App
I had the same experience once when it won out over a 414 for vocals... and I am also in Texas, coincidence, I think not.
Old 2nd December 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Rules, schmules.... UWW ( Use. Whatever. Works.)
Old 2nd December 2011
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I've used SDCs on female vocals with outstanding results. even cheap sdcs - but NOT HYPED ones. neutral-ish SDCS are what I've used with great success, with huge honking pop filters.

they take additive eq better than many LDCs also if desired.
Old 2nd December 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
yes, I get good results from the Sennheiser MKH40. Very detailed, with more bottom-end response than the tube mics I've used.

Sometimes too detailed and hi-fi sounding though.

I also really like the sound of my voice through a C451B. (Not the old 451EBS - the new one) It sounds really warm, and adds a sort of tinselly, space-age kind of coolness to the top-end. Unfortunately it also works like the opposite of a de-esser: it seems to hyper-magnify every single ess and T sound to an unusable extent. If someone could invent a massively de-essed C451B it would be a beautiful vocal mic. (Backing off it loses a lot of the mojo)

I really like SDCs on vocals - the drawback is that they are definitely not a "workhorse" type option. You need the luxury of time to place them, and the luxury of a singer who knows how to sing properly. They also often sound a bit too good sometimes: inappropriately pristine for a track that needs some fuzziness to it.
Old 2nd December 2011
Lives for gear

9 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I use SDCs on vocals often, usually a 451EB CK1.

Typically I'll have it about 45 degrees off axis about 18" out and up from the singer's head.

Keeping it off axis really helps with de-essing and plosives.

Results in super articulate vocals though. If you have a clear singer who doesn't need to bite into a mic, this is one of my mic setups of choice.
Old 2nd December 2011
Gear Addict

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I've used my C451B on my own voice with great results..

I usually sing from an 35-70 degree angle off axis.
If you sing straight in to it you get massive plosives, but with an angle
it sounds really good.
Old 2nd December 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Schoeps CM64 on vocals often ...love it
Old 2nd December 2011
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I sometimes use a KM54a for vocals. I believe at times, these mics were used for vocals on Beatle records.
Old 2nd December 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Roy Orbison sang into a KM56 with pretty good results.
Old 2nd December 2011
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Years ago I used a Shure SM81 on a female voc, after a recommendation from the guy I rented it from........ After some experimenting and careful positioning, it sounded great. Had to have her stand back farther then you'd think would work......that mic has a HUGE proximity effect.
Old 3rd December 2011
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joniverse ➑️
A friend of mine sent me a couple of vocal files for a demo we're working on, it was just a small part of the song and it sounded fantastic, very modern and lots of nice detail, and it just sounded so much better than the rest of the vocals on that song.

The rest of the vocals was recorded with a Neumann U67 into a Vintage Design CA73 (hi end neve clone) and apogee ensemble converters. I asked him what he used and he told me it was a cheap SDC called Line Audio CM2 into his Presonus Firestudio Mobile. Really cheap stuff.

I actually have a pair of CM2 at home but I never really liked them so they have just been lying around not being used very much, anyway I tried it on my voice, straight into my Apogee Duet, and my voice has never sounded better, really tight and that in your face punch. Maybe not an all-round sound but for modern pop where the vocals just have to cut through its perfect! I might sound like a salesman for Line Audio now, but the CM2 is actually out of production.

I am just stunned, anyone else had great results with SDC on vocals? Cant wait to try our Beyerdynamic MC930 on vocals the next time i'm in the studio!!
Sound clips?
Old 3rd December 2011
Lives for gear

I've recorded female vocals with DPA 4091 a couple of times and the results were quite good. (only a minimal amount of EQ was needed)
Old 3rd December 2011
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
That's weird, I didn't think it was a widely used technique, however...

I did a live show last week where the band had multiple backing vox and a female lead singer that also played flute.

I intended to put separate mics up for her vocals and the flute, but because it was a smallish venue and I was worried about feedback, (& I was feeling a bit lazy:-) I thought I would try using just an AKG 451E (old one) for both.

To my surprise, the vocals cut through unbelievably well, no eq, a touch of compression and it sounded really clear and classy like a modern commercial recording!!!

The only downfall was the odd plosive and sss that made it through, although next time I will angle the mic away more (as suggested above).

Will deffo be trying this again tho
Old 3rd December 2011
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Schoeps CMC5 into a La-610 MKII....wonderful!
Old 3rd December 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
On the right voice an old 451 EB or KM 84 sound top notch -whatever works.
Cheers, Ross
Old 3rd December 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The original SM-81's also had a optional windscreen that gave it a 'ball-mic' appearance and, of course, kept the plosives back a little more. Late 70's and a lot of 80's live television music had these as their vocal mics. Always with the optional ball.

I had one with the optional ball........I dont think they're available any more...A really good vocal mic.
Old 12th August 2019
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Via a lack of better options during tracking one day, I decided to throw up my AT4051 up for vocal duty - on my own voice. I normally use my SM7b or darker LDCs. Wow. It sounded so so good! Had to take some care with placement, and angling to avoid the plosives. But the vocal sounded amazing. Silkyy. Lots of playful harmonies sat in perfect accompaniment too.

Denser mixes = sdc love.
Old 12th August 2019
Lives for gear

I was setting up an sdc to record acoustic guitar and realized I was getting a really beautiful blend of vocals while the player was warming up. I still opted for an SM7B up close for vocals so I could manipulate the balance and vocals separately in post, but I was really caught off guard by how good the vocals were sounding, even at quite a distance and off-axis. Makes me want to try it as a vocal mic or as a single mic capture for acoustic musicians who sing when the production calls for it. It really had a silky smooth yet present and detailed sound like others have described here. Mic was a Beyer MC930, and the stereo pair did come with some foam windscreens... Yep, going to experiment more with this soon.
Old 12th August 2019
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Hmm I recently sold off allot of my large fet condensers. I do have 4 km84s though.. I'm gonna try the km84 on demo vocals. Still got a great tube mic for when its time to go, but it got an expensive tube in it so I rather use it a bit less then I have to atm.
Old 12th August 2019
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
current sdc mic for voice on the desk arm is a Senn M64 short shotgun (cardioid) paired with a Safesound audio tracking toolbox. Its a combo that, on my voice, makes me smile - it just..... works.
Old 12th August 2019
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Beyer MC930 does the trick for me pretty regularly, especially female vocals.
Old 13th August 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Now you just need to 'accidentally' use some ribbons, and you'll be there.
Old 13th August 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by esldude ➑️
Now you just need to 'accidentally' use some ribbons, and you'll be there.
Haha, I'll give that a shot too!
πŸ“ Reply