The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AKG K240 Monitor (600 ohms) + amp?
Old 6th November 2011
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
AKG K240 Monitor (600 ohms) + amp?

I just recently dug up my old AKG 240 Monitors (600ohms), which I haven't used in years. I was under the impression 600 ohms need an dedicated amp, but I get plenty of volume with Apogee One (and even Macbook Pro internal headphone out).

Am I missing something, or do I just listen at lower volumes than others? Is there something soundwise that I won't get without getting a dedicated amp, or can an Apogee One (or even Macbook Pro) be considered a headphone amp? Ofcourse Apogee One gives out much better sound than Macbook Pro, but would I still get better sound with some other "dedicated" amp?

The reason I put the headphones aside years ago was that I thought they sounded a bit flat, could this be the reason? I used them with Yamaha 01V and 02R desks. Altho I've read these particular headphones are quite "natural" and not very bass punchy.

Last edited by raymondwave; 7th November 2011 at 12:44 AM.. Reason: Long story short and added some details..
Old 6th November 2011
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Raymond,

While I don't have any hard facts to point to (other than the wiki page [1]), I would say that, yes, you'd get "better sound" with a dedicated amplifier. 600 Ohm headphones were designed to be used with an amplifier.

Beyerdynamic's FAQ [2] :
"High impedance (over 300 ohms): connection to high-quality headphone amplifiers. Higher impedance = better sound = higher power requirements"

[1] Headphone amplifier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
[2] Headphones - What is "Impedance"?

//Tomi B.
Old 7th November 2011
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 10 years
higher impedance headphones tend to sound flat, muddy, and dull without a dedicated amp, even if there is enough volume. most interfaces have enough juice for studio headphones, but i'm not 100% sure about the ONE since it's kind of a more minimalist interface.
Old 7th November 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
i love my 240's.
still use 'em
Old 9th November 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Got a reply from Apogee and they say ONE is enough to drive 600 ohm heaphones.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondwave โžก๏ธ
Got a reply from Apogee and they say ONE is enough to drive 600 ohm heaphones.
Hello

I was just looking for the same info, I have the Sennheiser HD600 plugged into the Yamaha )@R desk and I was wondering ifI'm using them wrongly because they should be driven by an amp, but I get plenty of volume....
๐Ÿ“ Reply