Quantcast
Classical Guitarist: Mic noise & sensitivity question: Beyer MC930? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Classical Guitarist: Mic noise & sensitivity question: Beyer MC930?
Old 25th September 2011
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Classical Guitarist: Mic noise & sensitivity question: Beyer MC930?

Hi there

Self-noise, SNR and sensitivity have beccome real priorities in selecting a new pair of SDCs, after my recent experience recording solo classical guitar, though I’m not quite sure in what order – this is where I need your help, please. I’ve read several articles here and elsewhere, but I can’t really judge how much a high sensitivity will mean a less-noisy outcome, for example.

The pre amps of my Tascam us-600 are not the best, I presume, so any increase in sensitivity is a real plus in keeping them turned down. My pair of SE2200a were too hissy even when tried through a Focusrite ISA One, with their combination of sensitivity of 14.1mV/pa and self-noise of 17dB A. The Beyer MC930 looks appealing and gets many recommendations for classical guitar, with 30 mV/pa but still 16dB A. Is it really much less noisy than the SE2200a?

The clips I’ve heard of the Beyer sound very promising and I’ve seen many recommendations of it for classical guitar, but I can’t find a classical guitar clip – if anyone has one, please post!

Thanks for reading and for any advice.
Old 26th September 2011
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Try the version of the FETHead that passes phantom power. That should really help considerably.
Old 26th September 2011 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Thanks Dave

I think I'm pretty sold on changing to a pair of SDCs regardless, which I can still blend with my single AKG c414 B ULS too. Some recommend LDC/SDC combo for guitar anyway, though I'd be happier if the new SDCs can do it on their own!

Any help with understanding how noise-less the Beyer MC930 would be (interpreting those specs and any actual experiences) would be a great help.
Old 29th September 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The problem is to identify where the hiss come from. Id it's more from the pream, the MC930 will be great because of their high output.
If it's more from the mic itself, the MC930 will be also great because I find it very quiet. The problem is that the figures of noise don't tell you too much, because an important parameter is the spectrum of the noise.
Yes, I recorded timpani and other quiet instruments with great results with the 930. But LDC could be quieter. I like there the 414XLS.
JMM
Old 29th September 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

This isn't classical guitar, but it's a Nylon string from a Jazz/Flamenco session for a singer using a stereo matched pair I have. Not sure if it will help your decision, but they are very quiet mics. Obviously each guitar and player will sound different.

this is the raw WAV track no EQ/verb/ no nothing. Recorded through a DAV pre.
The low freq bump and slight cymbal bleed you hear are from the drums in the next room.

Best of luck
Attached Files

mc930 GIT xy.wav (8.52 MB, 1050 views)

Old 27th February 2018
TJP
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I have just compared the sound of the mc 930, mkh 8040, mkh 418s, NT1A, LCT 540s and the mc930 was the one with the lowest output and the only one with noticable noise. The LCT 540s had the highest output and lowest self noise. Second place in that regard was the 8040. The 8040 had the best sound in terms of frequency response. The NT1A hab less noise but also less output than the 8040 and the weakest sound frequency responsewise. The mc 930 sounded better than the NT1A to my ears. The 418s had a higher output than the NT1A but not so much as the 8040. It had a tiny bit of hiss that you would only notice after compression in post. Its an easy fix to get rid of it with a with the sonnox de-hiss. I recorded speach with a mixpre-6 all gained at 50 dB, no low cut and limiter engaged. Somehow i was really disappointed of the noise level of the mc 930. Everybody always sayes its a good-sounding mic
I double checked changing the cable and the other mic (got the stereo kit), but it has this really unpleasant low-mid noise that it not so much separated from the "healthy signal level". Therefore it was the only noise i noticed on the recordings.... why are my results kind of the opposite of what a lot of the reviews are saying? There are even guys telling you can record room-tones with it or even boom with that mic. I really want to like them, but i dont see how they are holding up with the praise in the reviews. thoughts?
📝 Reply