The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Focusrite Liquid Mix
Old 21st September 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
40 something EQ and 40 something comps...

I use 3 - 5 tops of each and am happy as a bunny.

Just let the rotten eggs in the corner and this unit is thumbsup
Old 13th October 2010 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
My Liquid Mix does nothing

Yeah, I was pretty excited and I guess six or seven hours isn't THAT long to try and make something work, but I wish the damned thing would just pass some audio through it already. Unless I got a broken one.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
so how really Liquid Mix sounds ??

is better that sonnox ,waves mcdsp??
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Bang ➑️
40 something EQ and 40 something comps...

I use 3 - 5 tops of each and am happy as a bunny.

Just let the rotten eggs in the corner and this unit is thumbsup

exactly. i mainly use the neve 33609, LA2-A, 1176 (comps) and the Amek Angela Console, Chandler TG (EQ) emus and am rather happy.
Old 1st July 2011 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Well, I just bought a second hand Liquid Mix and I love it, even though only works from time to time. It's on the same crappy buss of my PC sharing bandwith with some USB 2.0 devices, so at times I can't open more than 5 instances before it begins to make spikes and st-ut-t-t-tter sounds.

Today I tried to buy another PCI Firewire 400 with a Texas Instruments chip, but I haven't found anyone in my city (I checked almost everywhere). Is that important or I can try with some other PCIs? Maybe is happening something with my computer specs, so here I go:

My humble specs:

Intel Core 2 CPU 6300 @ 1.86 GHz
4GB RAM
500 GB HD

RME Multiface I

Thanks in advance!
Old 1st July 2011
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Heard great things about liquid mix, bought it, spent all the time f**king around getting it to work, got it to work, loooooooooved it!!!! Then the damn thing up and died on me.....
Now gotta take it back to retailer!
So, great unit, great sound, great control, but frustrating as HELL!!
Old 2nd July 2011
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Mmm, plugged it in today minus the power supply just on a chance it might behave, and low and behold works perfectly :$
Still thinking of sending it of to focusrite as i cant rely on an inconsistant piece of gear.
Questions, on your liquid mix, is the display on the controller off centre?? Mine is left and down of centre with a blue border on top and right.
Nothings being cut off as far as i can tell, just odd that its not centred.
Also, the data knob on the right of the screen. Mine is kind of very loose and twitchy, when scrolling through things hard to be specific as it will jump around.
Anyone elses like this? I assume its looser as its the only push button knob on the unit, but still.
Old 16th July 2011 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I have three of them. 2 x 32 channels and 1 x 16 channels. Couldn't live without it, the distresor and the API's are damn good.... as well as the manley's. Well the eqs are as good too especially the Focusrite and Api's.
I always tell people that it's really a 64 channel DSP because you can use both stereo compressors and stereo Eq at the same time + sidechain...
UAD2 is great but the saturation this baby gets (if driven hot) is just as great as analog IMO.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Regarding to my own problem, I discovered that if you buy a Texas Instruments' PCI Firewire the unit works flawlessly. So I'm more than happy now...

Anyway, don't you find the way the EQ works a little bit odd? I'm in love with the compressor, though. Specially with Distressor and Neve.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
That's great news.

I bought one S/hand and had awful trouble getting it to stay connected (time out issues).
Had the Texas firewire cards etc but still issues.
Most of it was after i had loaded up the new drivers (and new GUi).
To be honest there was so much "pain" going on with it i kinda forgot if it was ever working or not.
Had about 10 emails with focusrite (who were quick to respond and very helpful). Did all sorts.Latency changes.... man!! i learned so much about my system. But no joy. They mentioned the Nvidia chipset in my M/board being a likely candidate

AMD Dual core 64
Asus Mboard with Nvidia chipset.

Eventually i unplugged it and put it away.... i was gutted.
But then i decided to change my M/board. Did this but still had issues.

So i searched and searched for the old drivers (for some reason the CD i had with it would never load them again ???)
I found a Focusrite beta driver page and loaded up the last one prior to the GUI change.

OMG!!! it worked.
Not sure if it was a combination of new chipset and new driver but it works.

I love it.
The Old classic Neve Eq's are great.
What i do find tho is everything is quite subtle. If i do even small changes on my stock eq's you hear change. With , most of what's loaded into, the LM it's a much subtle and less agressive change. (you would say more musical?)
Is that the quality of the original unit coming through.
My experience with hardware is ...er Nil so it's all a new experience to me.

Anyway good to hear some of us have persevered and are enjoying the unit.

R
Old 17th July 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

10 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Yes, focusrite support was not able to resolve problems with this unit. I think they discontinued it because of FW problems. I am using LM on every project, but I need to do special procedure before I can start to hear something going through LM. After loading project in Sonar, I need to unplug and plug FW cable into LM. After this reset everything working right. I am using mainly Pultecs, SSL {without hipass}, API2500 and Distressor {really great sounding!}. LM is great unit with great potential with bad driver programming.
Old 17th July 2011 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by icecubeman ➑️
Yes, focusrite support was not able to resolve problems with this unit. I think they discontinued it because of FW problems. LM is great unit with great potential with bad driver programming.
I think exactly the same. And since it's only a drivers problem, I'm wondering why Focusrite discontinued LM instead of polishing this area a little bit. They even not improved the annoying Hipass thing, which is incomprehensible.
Old 23rd August 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by an.unna.kid ➑️
I have three of them. 2 x 32 channels and 1 x 16 channels. Couldn't live without it, the distresor and the API's are damn good.... as well as the manley's. Well the eqs are as good too especially the Focusrite and Api's.
I always tell people that it's really a 64 channel DSP because you can use both stereo compressors and stereo Eq at the same time + sidechain...
UAD2 is great but the saturation this baby gets (if driven hot) is just as great as analog IMO.
Hi, do you mean you're using 3 liquid mix in only one system?

Focusrite support says this is not possible.
Can you run multiple liquid mixes on the same Mac? .: Focusrite Answerbase

Could you please describe your computer, OS and software?

Thanks!
πŸ“ Reply