The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Digi Command 8, still competitive?
Old 21st August 2011
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Digi Command 8, still competitive?

Hey, folks

I'm wondering how the Command 8 is sizing up next to other options in regards to value/quality. I'm not a professional and for the foreseeable future I am PT only. The price for a new command 8 makes it seem less than competitive next to the Avid MC/Artist Mix (I recognize the latter lacks some of the features and would require the "control" unit). But on the used market between $500 and $900 is it the most attractive option? I'm getting lost trying to compare the old Digi control surfaces, the new Avid offerings, and the 3rd party units (Mackie MCU)in terms of capability and quality. In the end, I'm really just looking for ways to navigate faster and get my own ideas captured whenI have few minutes for my music.

Has anyone successfully navigated this topic and been happy with their decision?

Some specifics that would help me, feel free to discuss whatever you want...

Is HUI emulation a "good enough" way to control PT? Does the Mackie stuff leave something to be desired in terms of integration?

How is the monitoring on the Command 8? I've seen some threads warning of noise and the usual descriptors ("smaller sounding") but is anyone using the monitor section and happy with it? I know I can completely ignore it but I'm curious.

How are the faders on the command 8? They seem quiet based on some videos i've watched, but do they have a good feel? I have a Presonus fader port that feels nice if anyone could use that as a frame of reference.

Thanks,
Brian
Old 22nd August 2011
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Could anyone who owns a Command 8 comment on whether or not they would purchase one again?

Brian
Old 22nd August 2011 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJosephs ➑️
Could anyone who owns a Command 8 comment on whether or not they would purchase one again?

Brian

I use it for writing automation every once in a while, but I'm not passing audio through it. The faders are OK, but I doubt the audio quality is very high...

I would probably buy another if I had to (I have limited use for it, remember), but the current one has held up for 6 years, so no need to, yet...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I used a Command 8 a few times, and have a Mackie MCU in my home setup. I'm used to the MCU and would recommend it over the Digi....there were a couple of annoying things about the Command 8; the biggest for me, if I remember correctly, was the lack of automation status switches and auto enable/disable toggle switch (which the MCU has). For a lot of the work that I do, that's important to me.

The faders on both are *ok*, not any better than you might expect at the price, but usable.
Old 22nd August 2011
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Hay, sailor. Is the 9th fader useable in pt? Does it default to the master fader channel... meaning if there was no master would it be useless? Are there any functions on the MCU that do not apply in pt? Are you using the older version or the "pro"
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
In terms of functionality and features I don't think you can beat a command 8 if you are strictly pro tools. Plugin automation and editing, fader control and calibration, transport controls, and meters with scribble strips!

It's everything an 003/002 does, without the crap convertors.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hay, sailor. Is the 9th fader useable in pt? Does it default to the master fader channel... meaning if there was no master would it be useless? Are there any functions on the MCU that do not apply in pt? Are you using the older version or the "pro"

You know, I've never really bothered to find out....I never automate my master output faders. That's one difference that may be important to you....the Command 8, like the Control 24, might (I'm not sure) be able to switch the fader banks to control master faders. The MCU does not, as far as I know. Not a problem for me (I use aux faders for my subgroups and rarely automate them) but depending on how you work it might be an issue.

All the buttons above the transport controls in the MCU are "soft" and have different purposes depending on which DAW you're using. For me, again, the automation status switches are key. I'd almost buy it for that function alone. I have the older MCU, the black one. One improvement with the new one is that it's a direct USB connection to the computer, rather than having to use a MIDI-USB adapto.
Gear Nut

7 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
C8 is a good piece of gear, but... faders get noisy with time, and i know some people (including me) have problem with either power supply or power something inside the unit. If you can get it for $600 or less then go ahead, but i wouldn't buy a new unit, i don't even know if they still sell them or they got discontinued. c8 is a bit old, so the support for the unit is pretty weak, i can't even order a new power supply. I'd go with something more universal like mackie pro control. you still can go with euphonix artist series, personally i don't like it looks tho, very "un-studio" feel to it but that's just my opinion.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm happy with my Command 8. I think a 2nd hand unit is the best value out there if your on Pro Tools and just want to get some faders under your fingers. It's probably a bit long in the tooth to buy a new one IMO.

I changed the horrible fader caps and knobs for Icon ones from the Avid store and they feel way better than the stock ones.

It's a shame it looks so big and clunky.
Old 23rd August 2011
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Thanks, fellas. I'm afraid I'm still not sure what's best. The C8 probably trumps in regards to compatibility but its a bit old compared to the newer gen MCU. Are there ant real deal breakers with the MCU? Is love to hear if that 9th fader works!
Old 23rd August 2011
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Long in the tooth? Pro tools basic features havent changed since ive been using it.
Had a command 8 for 5 years, always worked well. Integration with PT is flawless obviously, and honestly that in itself should be the deal maker.
Got a new console with daw control and going through the setup is a PAIN IN THE A**!! the simple setup and usage of command 8 is such a breeze.
They're cheap, they're very effective, and most importantly perfectly mapped to the software you're using.
If you're happy with just 8 faders, its a no brainer.
Old 25th August 2011
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Ok. I think I'm sold, thanks. I'll start shopping around for a C8.

This thing is a bit big for my desk. Are there any clever ways to keep a control surface close but off the desk? I saw one web store recommend a laptop stand as a related product. Anyone try that?

Something like the rolling remote for a tape machine would be cool.
Old 25th August 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I bought a new Command 8 and immediately started having problems with faders freaking out and becoming unstable. Digi was very good to work with on the repair, I had to ship the unit to them and they returned it repaired very quickly.

I never used the control room monitoring audio functions on the C8 because I have a Neve 8816/8804 setup and it has nice control room monitoring built in.

Yes the C8 does work with protools but I think you should try it if you can and see if it increases your productivity. For me it did not. I never did finished fader moves with it, sometimes I could rough-in a mix but I always needed to go in and clean it up with a mouse. I hated paging the faders around, the Euphonix system is expandable so you could add more faders to it (I'd want 24 minimum).

I finally sold my C8 because I had a chance to get a great return on it. I don't miss it.

Getting rid of the C8 also helped pave the way for me to move to Logic which is where I'm at today.

Good luck with whatever you purchase.
Old 25th August 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Another factor that may or may not be an issue for you is compatibility with other DAW apps. The Command 8 is Pro Tools only; the MCU can work with a number of them, with the soft-buttons configured for specific functions.
Old 26th August 2011
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
OK, I just pulled the trigger on a second hand C8 on Ebay. Claims to be in perfect condition and I got it for just over $500. Hopefully the guy I beat doesn't see this...

No, I'm not worried about other applications. I've been using PT so long I don't think I could ever switch even though I'm always finding little things that make me wonder what it's like in LOGIC or DP world.

Hopefully by buying used I can dodge a lemon though it will be interesting to see if it really is in good shape. And how long it lasts before I have trouble.

Now I have to figure out where to fit this thing in my "control room"...
Attached Thumbnails
Digi Command 8, still competitive?-imag0296.jpg  
Old 26th August 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Ok. I think I'm sold, thanks. I'll start shopping around for a C8.

This thing is a bit big for my desk. Are there any clever ways to keep a control surface close but off the desk? I saw one web store recommend a laptop stand as a related product. Anyone try that?

Something like the rolling remote for a tape machine would be cool.
On-Stage MIX400 Mixer Stand at zZounds
Old 26th August 2011
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMassacre ➑️
In terms of functionality and features I don't think you can beat a command 8 if you are strictly pro tools. Plugin automation and editing, fader control and calibration, transport controls, and meters with scribble strips!

It's everything an 003/002 does, without the crap convertors.
Lol!!! I hear that!!!
Old 27th August 2011 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
On-Stage MIX400 Mixer Stand at zZounds
I probably should have thought of that one myself! Looks nice, do you own it? Once I get my hands on this thing I may build something instead to save a bit of cash but that would be cool.

I guess my Presonus Fader Port is going in the obsolete bin now...
Deleted 1a30a04
It's still a good controller.. you get more precision in the controller values
than you do with a Mackie ..so that's nice.

jeff
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
OK, I just pulled the trigger on a second hand C8 on Ebay. Claims to be in perfect condition and I got it for just over $500. Hopefully the guy I beat doesn't see this...

No, I'm not worried about other applications. I've been using PT so long I don't think I could ever switch even though I'm always finding little things that make me wonder what it's like in LOGIC or DP world.

Hopefully by buying used I can dodge a lemon though it will be interesting to see if it really is in good shape. And how long it lasts before I have trouble.

Now I have to figure out where to fit this thing in my "control room"...
Interesting setup you've got there man, looks pretty cool!
Are those the ASP6 or 8's?? I have the ASP6's and they're great.
Noticed you have a sub also, in a room that small....
Doesn't it give you some trouble?? I know I had to sell my Adam Sub8 as my rooms not that big and I was greatly undercompensating the bass and low mids.
Old 27th August 2011
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Thanks, Yulogy. They're 8's and I do like them too. In my old place I had much more room to let these things breathe and they sounded better high passed and compensated with the sub. Lately I leave the sub off unless I have friends over for drinks.

The Events are way too big for that space, especially without treatment. So I've been thinking about downgrading or at least trying some room treatment. Besides the obvious bass build up I have trouble hearing reverb tails that come through quite clearly when I listen in my car. I attribution this to reflections.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Nice, I always wanted the 8's, but I bought mine from EVENT direct after they'd been discontinued and there were only 6's left. I think in the end this was fortunate though as the size of my room really does not call for big monitors.
My room is very treated, but only in the high end so I have no trouble with verbs but have a big bass build up. Step outside the sweet spot and BAM!
From the looks of it you wouldn't need too much treatment other than a whole lot of bass traps!
Old 4th September 2011 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
OK, so I really like this thing. I haven't tried the monitor section yet but as a control surface I'm digging it.

I'm not sure what all the complaints about the faders are for... the caps feel fine to me, if not uniquely clever. Maybe if your more used to conventional cap they don't feel right. And 8 seems to be more than enough I don't mind the banking around in a 20+ track session.

Plugin control is great too, but that's why I got it, so I guess I'm happy there as well. Flip is a great feature. I'm still getting used to the different "View" modes to make getting to these setting efficient.

Sailor, I totally see what you mean regarding the automation status switches. When I was playing around and wanted manually fade a part in I immediately wanted that feature! Not a deal breaker, but I can see how it might be to someone.

Placement will be critical as well. Right now it;'s on top of my sub and a bit out of reach. I have lean out of the sweet spot to pan. I wish I had a bigger place to stretch the studio out - maybe fit in a bigger console desk....

Thanks to everyone who helped guide me on this I'm a happy camper.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Digi Command 8, still competitive?-imag0005.jpg  
Old 17th September 2011 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
OK, so I really like this thing. I haven't tried the monitor section yet but as a control surface I'm digging it.

I'm not sure what all the complaints about the faders are for... the caps feel fine to me, if not uniquely clever. Maybe if your more used to conventional cap they don't feel right. And 8 seems to be more than enough I don't mind the banking around in a 20+ track session.

Plugin control is great too, but that's why I got it, so I guess I'm happy there as well. Flip is a great feature. I'm still getting used to the different "View" modes to make getting to these setting efficient.

Sailor, I totally see what you mean regarding the automation status switches. When I was playing around and wanted manually fade a part in I immediately wanted that feature! Not a deal breaker, but I can see how it might be to someone.

Placement will be critical as well. Right now it;'s on top of my sub and a bit out of reach. I have lean out of the sweet spot to pan. I wish I had a bigger place to stretch the studio out - maybe fit in a bigger console desk....

Thanks to everyone who helped guide me on this I'm a happy camper.

Brian
Congrats on your new Command|8. I just bought one myself a few days ago & I just love this control surface. It has really helped speed up my workflow & my mixes have really improved after only a few days of using the Command|8.
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Anyone using theirs with MPwred 9 PTs on a MacPro ??
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Love my C8 and couldn't think of PT without it. I don't use the audio connections, just USB and dig the way it becomes one with protools.
Old 17th September 2011 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbydesign ➑️
Love my C8 and couldn't think of PT without it. I don't use the audio connections, just USB and dig the way it becomes one with protools.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
My Studio & C8. Sorry the pic is so freakin small.
Attached Thumbnails
Digi Command 8, still competitive?-imageuploadedbygearslutz1316305742.358363.jpg  
Old 18th September 2011 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
@ musicbydesign

Nice setup! Who makes that desk?
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
@ musicbydesign