The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Digi Command 8, still competitive?
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
after much reading went with one of these also, think these came out about 2004 ?? wanted one ever sence. yet still many use them...alto music have them new at $800 seems to me to the best bang for the buck on new control surface out there for pro tools.
and if I have issuers its under warranty...
Old 18th September 2011 | Show parent
vfr
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I would recommend a Digidesign ProControl rather than the Command8. They are only available used and are reasonably priced for what they are. The ProControl is much higher end with many more features and expansion capability. ProControls are only for ProTools and not other DAWs (like the command 8). The faders and some other features are even better than the Command24 or C24.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr ➑️
I would recommend a Digidesign ProControl rather than the Command8. They are only available used and are reasonably priced for what they are. The ProControl is much higher end with many more features and expansion capability. ProControls are only for ProTools and not other DAWs (like the command 8). The faders and some other features are even better than the Command24 or C24.
Command 8 only works with PT..!!
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr ➑️
Does the pro control work with pt9 or mpwered/le systems that's the q's???
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
pc

the pro control at 2 to 3k used, is not even close to the makie or command 8 surface in price 1k and below ...have to wait a few years I suppose ..
and may be a bit on the large size for a home studio ...I would sure like one if I found a killer deal on one though..

the command 8 supports stand alone midi to any device that accepts midi control change messages for level, solo, mute, midi machine control...
I am sure mapping it all out will be a chore though...but to say pt only is not correct.
vfr
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipss36 ➑️
the pro control at 2 to 3k used,and may be a bit on the large size for a home studio ...I would sure like one if I found a killer deal on one though..
I did get a killer deal on a ProControl, but they are readily available about half of the cost you mentioned. They are surprisingly large, and your point about them maybe being too big for a home studio is valid.

They are supported in all version of ProTools HD, including all versions of PT9, and can be made to work with LE, although not officially supported by Avid. Not sure about the compatibility with M-powered, but if they can be made to work with LE, then perhaps.
Old 22nd September 2011 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Music ➑️
Command 8 only works with PT..!!
not entirely true I made a midi map for it for cubase.

here'e the xml file.

2shared - download command8.xml

and a note about the file and setting it up.

2shared - download command 8 cubase.txt
Old 24th September 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I just bought a command 8 of a fellow gearslut and I love it with PT. I used to own a 002 (with faders) a few years back so I knew what to expect. I fyou work in PT its awesome. If you need a control surface for more than one DAW then I wouldnt recommend it. Midi mapping is possible but not really the same.
Old 6th November 2012 | Show parent
Old 30th June 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I just got a command 8 for Β£100 lol can't go wrong!
Old 30th June 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Several of the studios I freelance at have these and I hate them... Flimsy and buggy - I end up having to reset it at least once per session because the faders freeze up or get uncalibrated somehow. YMMV but they are not for me...

-Mike
Old 5th April 2015
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Hi everyone.

I would like to know if it's possible to use TWO command 8 units in stand alone mode plugged to the same computer.

Will AUDIO/MIDI setup recognize them as two separate midi controllers with 2 MIDI inputs and 4 MIDI outputs total ?

I m not planning on using them as protools controller/peripheral.

Thanks in advance.

Mac OS: 10.6.8
Processor : 2x2.8Ghz Quad Core Intel Xeon
Protools 8 HD accel 3.
Old 20th January 2019
Gear Addict

10 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I just bought one of these...in 2018.

They are very cheap now, and providing you can get one in good condition....THEY STILL WORK GREAT!

Fully integrated in 2018.

It is built way better than I was expecting. I was expecting plastic casing etc, but that is not the case. Metal box, strong buttons and just a really well put together piece of kit.

We'll see how long it all lasts but so far so good.
πŸ“ Reply