Quantcast
Less expensive mics that sound like the Sony C-800G? - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Less expensive mics that sound like the Sony C-800G?
Old 4th May 2008 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin ➡️
How come no-one mentioned the Peluso vtb? I understand its supposed to emulate or approach 800g. I've not used the 800 but the vtb definitely has a produced sound all by itself. I've been using it through an MA5 and a mono gama (steel mostly) for female rnb and its just so easy to get the right sound.

oops just saw someone finally mentioned the vtb just a couple of posts above..
Because this is a thread from 2 years ago that was revived... the VTB is definitely a candidate now, but did not exist back then.
Old 4th May 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
oic. I had been especially wondering why you had recommended the 251.
Old 16th September 2020 | Show parent
The Slate VMS mic has as a good Sony c800g clone. Have a look on YouTube for some shootouts.

I was wondering why no one mentioned it. Until I saw besides from the last comment, all the other posts are from 12 years ago lol.

I'm sure the OP probably doesn't care anymore.
Old 29th January 2021 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
There are also some copies now, Stam and Golden Age come to mind.
Old 7th March 2021
Gear Head
We also added One The: ZP800G
. from Www.ZPmicrophones.com

It is pure wise the sonic sound footprint and not A design visual clone
Old 15th May 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
JJ Audio Akita, you can upgrade to a Neumann K67 capsule, Sony tube, Sony transformer.

Advanced Audio CM800T, killer bang for the buck mic. Search GS for shootouts and lots of user feedback.
Old 15th May 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Barbaric Amplification BA-8G
Same C800G circuit design and Chris does some amazing custom builds for your needs.

My BA-8G is a one off with Neumann K67 capsule, AMI Custom 8.1 Transformer, Vishay Capacitor, and Russian 6AU6 tube (same as the original Sony).

All vocals in these songs are my BA-8G.

Old 22nd September 2021
Advanced Audio Microphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zena ➡️
Hey, I'm new to this forum, and I just have a question regarding the C-800G. I am a singer, and it's my understanding that Mariah Carey has used that mic from day one, and I've always loved the way that it sounds. Unfortunately I can't dish out the $7,000 to buy one, so I'm wandering if anyone has tried a less expensive mic that has the same sound. Right now I'm using a Nuemann U87 + Daking console + '60's LA-2A + Rosetta 800, and it's sound pretty great... but I'd really love to have the sound similar to what the C-800G produces. I read on here that you can just rent them, so I was thinking of doing that, but then I probably would never want to return it! Maybe ya'll can recommend some mics for me to try out???
Hi Zena, that would be the Advanced Audio CM800T.
Here is a review that I just got from a client this morning.

Advance audio yall did a excellent job in making it possible to own industry standard mics at a reasonable cost that you would have paid for a thousands of dollars mic that some producers or vocalist can't afford to buy but yall changed that and made it possible now you can and the top quality and parts are outstanding and the sound is of the mic is even better than the industry versions and I will continue to support Advance audio. Cheers, Dave
Old 23rd September 2021
Gear Guru

Hey Dave, are you going to be at June NAMM next year? Love to directly try your stuff out.
I've heard enough AA CM800T clips, to know you've got a winner there.
Thanks, Chris
Old 11th October 2021 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I the OP hasn’t purchased yet, there is now the Warm Audio WA8000. I’ve always felt that C800G has a hole in the sound. Can’t describe it, but I’ve always felt there is a carve in frequency response that I can’t quite put my finger on, but I’m also not an engineer, so maybe someone else w/more experience could clarify.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSR74 ➡️
I the OP hasn’t purchased yet, there is now the Warm Audio WA8000. I’ve always felt that C800G has a hole in the sound. Can’t describe it, but I’ve always felt there is a carve in frequency response that I can’t quite put my finger on, but I’m also not an engineer, so maybe someone else w/more experience could clarify.
Not sure I would call it a hole, but there is a 5-6 db boost starting around 5Khz that then drops a steep 10-12 db starting around 12Khz. That gives the impression there is a hole, when it's really a mountain boost up with a steep cliff down.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo ➡️
Not sure I would call it a hole, but there is a 5-6 db boost starting around 5Khz that then drops a steep 10-12 db starting around 12Khz. That gives the impression there is a hole, when it's really a mountain boost up with a steep cliff down.
Wow, interesting. I guess that’s likely part of the mic’s charm and application. I guess carve might be a better word. It does seem to work for a lot of particular vocals and the presence is definitive.
Old 17th November 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zena ➡️
Hmmm... yeah I wish that I had gotten a chance to try that Pearlman out.
Try the Red Monster by Weird Audio
if u wanna try a affordable Tube Mic. I'm a East Coast Ambassador, I wasn't a believer until Thomas Parker the owner sent me one. I use it more than my U87 and just as much as my Manley
if u can spend $3500 On the Golden Age version that's the closest thing to the Sony
Old 18th November 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Nothing sounds quite like the real thing but I've fooled the majority of people in shootouts with an AA CM800T or a Sony C100 (through a Tube pre amp).

The Golden Age is expensive and sounds nice but is a bit dark and doesn't sound like a C800G, it looks like one though.

The wannabes that have never used a C800G are jumping on the Warm WA8000 which sounds too thin in the lows and too harsh in the highs compared to Sony, I wouldn't buy one.
Old 18th November 2021
Here for the gear

IMO C100, CM800T, WA8000, and any other mic pitched as a C800G wannabe is nothing more than that. Inspired by a bright mic, but not really the C800G. To be fair, I haven't actually owned those ones and I'm just going by demos posted by others. The Slate ML-1 isn't terrible, but I wasn't impressed by the quality at the end of the day. I could hear the EQ curve working and it always felt like I had to undo some things. Sold that one pretty quickly.

IMO chasing mics marketed as clones is a bit of a fruitless endeavor. You're often better off getting a good mic that has built a rep of its own. Sometimes it turns out that doing this will amusingly get you closer to the heavy hitters in sound signature than the clones will.
Old 2nd December 2021 | Show parent
I'm also not sold on the WA-8000. I use a C800G regularly and purchased the GA-8000. Very close and excellent quality microphone, just a tad bit darker than the C800G. Just add a tad bit of eq on the high end and that's it. The rest is on point.
📝 Reply