The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
"The Shape of Punk to Come" Refused
Old 7th March 2006

🎧 15 years
"The Shape of Punk to Come" Refused

Does anyone know any details about the recording of this cd? This is one of my all-time favorite cd's and my favorite hard record. The tones and how tight their playing is is freaking AMAZING.
Old 7th March 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup

funny Ive been listening to that album for the last 3 days

I would like to know anything about that as well
Old 7th March 2006 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by everybody's x
thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup

funny Ive been listening to that album for the last 3 days

I would like to know anything about that as well
From reading about Kristofer Steen here and there I gathered that "The Shape Of Punk To Come" was recorded than very heavily "pro tooled". every word/phrase moved to the right place. beat detective. heavily processed and produced.

great album

i get stuck on TSOPTC binges also
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I just want to know if the prevailing rumor that the gtrs were through a vox ac30 are true

🎧 15 years
Did not know it was so PT'd but I guess it doesn't suprise me. I love this record totally. Awsome.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Talking with Pelle and Eskil (the producers of TSOPTC) while working with them on another record, I learned that it was mostly ADAT, some 2", and they don't use protools. Now they use some kind of DAW, PC based, can't remember the name... They're way cool guys! I'll try to get more info, as I've always been interested, but forget to ask...

Cheers,

Ryan Hewitt
Lives for gear

🎧 20 years
Love, love, love this album!!!! Brilliant musicians.

I know very little about the production. Sorry.

This record sounds anything but 'ProTooled'. I'm not incredibly enthusiastic about the sonic quality of the album, but the compositions and performances far overshadow the sonic imperfections.

🎧 15 years
i got so excited when i saw this thread title on the main page...

holy CRAP! this is definitely one of my favourite records of all time. its unreal.

the production to me is amazing. its such a unique blend of vintage/modern. yes those drum sound roomy and warm and nasty but its DEFINITELY processed and there's all sorts of loops and programming in there somewhere.

wow i just love talking about it and reading other people's opinions of it.

wow...yea...wow ... i actually saw them play in a warehouse in west philadelphia back in '01 i think. wow!

🎧 15 years
No production notes, but some general info on the band/album:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shape_of_Punk_to_Come

and

http://www.burningheart.com/bands/in...p?id=233&bio=1

/D
Old 7th March 2006

🎧 15 years
I was just telling someone about how ahead of the time this album was! Has anyone heard the remastered dvd version with the 5.1 mixes? I'm gonna go pick it up this week, I've heard good things. -Marty

🎧 15 years
well, the drums on this record sound like ludwig's to me

🎧 20 years
YEAH BRUVVAS!!!! this album and 'songs to fan the flames of discontent' fu***ken rule my world.. as some poster said here one day if there was more heavy rock/metal in Sweden the world would tip on its axis around Gothenberg!!!

Dell have u been putting trace elements int he water???

WIKID albums and i also love Denis' latest band 'he international noise conspiracy'

\M/ heh \m/
Wiggy!

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkcore
I was just telling someone about how ahead of the time this album was! Has anyone heard the remastered dvd version with the 5.1 mixes? I'm gonna go pick it up this week, I've heard good things. -Marty
I just found out on saturday it was released in 5.1, but i can't seem to find it anywhere. If you do 'pick it up', help a brotha out!
Craneslut

🎧 20 years
Brilliant record! Thanks for reminding me - I haven't listened to this in a couple of months...

🎧 15 years
i have only heard the stereo version of the new super audio/5.1/remixed or mastered version...

i didn't like it at all.
there were definitely some interesting changes that were made, but overall i thought it was hurting not helping. to me (and i could be way wrong) i feel like the shape of punk to come was a pinnacle for the band. i think they were probably really happy with that record in its original offering. i have a feeling the re-release was an afterthought and the changes that were made were just for the sake of changing things... but i dont know. check it out and let us know what you think. on a lot of it, it sounds like they just wanted to to sound more like the current group of hardcore/punk records so they brought the kick and snare up (via samples or whatever)...it just sounds unnatural. even if the original version had sampled/triggered/overcompressed drums... it worked REALLY well... like better than any other record... ever.

maybe i just love the record and don't want anyone to mess with it.

would you want someone messing with your favourite record? throw some samples on ringo's drums and remix them!

🎧 15 years
it was recored with soundscape
Lives for gear

🎧 20 years
their new band International Noise Conspiracy is very cool too. (although completely different) Rick Rubin production, Rich Costey mix.
Old 8th March 2006
Craneslut

🎧 20 years
Anyone fans of 'Text' (Refused minus the lead singer)? I haven't heard it but it's supposed to rule...
Old 8th March 2006

🎧 15 years
No Poo Tools!

Hey!

This is Pelle Henricsson who did produce "the Shape.." together with Eskil LΓΆvstrΓΆm. We did not use Pro Tools at all. The Shape was recorded on 24 track 2 inch tape and occational Adat's in sync when the 24 tracks wasn't enough. The drums was recorded as grooves and then edited in Soundscape without any grid reference. The whole thing was then bounced back to 2 inch where all guitars and basses were recorded. Same thing with vocals but not "every word" moved around. More like keeping phrases that was within the groove. The Soundscape system we used back then held 12 tracks and was used as a stand alone editing unit.

Overall the whole recording had groove as THE key word, maybe thats why its still a cool record!?

Glad you guys like it!

/Pelle
Old 8th March 2006 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
pele, why does the record getting increasingly more distorted (mainly the drums) as it goes. the deeper into the record you get, the worse it gets.

not that i mind as i love the record, i've just always been curious if that was intentional or not.

and, how exactly did you work "refused party program" from a studio take to the live outro.

did you just tempo match a live recording they did and have the drummer play the song to that tempo in the studio?

a brilliant piece of work that has changed the indie rock world profoundly. you should be really proud!

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartdixon
From reading about Kristofer Steen here and there I gathered that "The Shape Of Punk To Come" was recorded than very heavily "pro tooled". every word/phrase moved to the right place. beat detective. heavily processed and produced.

great album

i get stuck on TSOPTC binges also
aside from pele already answering this question, you have to keep in mind that this record was released here in the states in 1998. beat detective, autotune, massive editing and sound replacing were still not staples of protools yet. in '98 PT was in version 4.3 and still 16bit.

how quickly we lose site of history.......
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
What's happenin Mr. Hall? small world

Pelle, Thanks for the info and welcome to Gearslutz! If you could please divulge anything about the guitar chains we would be eternally grateful. Personally I consider TSOPTC to be THE benchmark for heavy guitars.

🎧 15 years
I absolutely love this album! Pelle please tells us a bit about guitar AND drum chain. For an album so heavy, the drums (toms in particular) have a very 'natural' sound (not the typical super mid scooped toms)-and are a bit 'roomy' sounding, also. How were the drums mic'd? Did you close mic toms? Or was this a more traditional setup w/ maybe just OH's and Kick mic? BTW Deadly Rhythm is brilliant! 'We're gonna have ourselves a session...'
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Bring on the guitar signal chain!!!

In fact, I would love to know the specifics on just about every source as this is one of my favorite records of all time.

-Chris
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Great album.....

New Noise Rules!

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB Edwards
I absolutely love this album! Pelle please tells us a bit about guitar AND drum chain. For an album so heavy, the drums (toms in particular) have a very 'natural' sound (not the typical super mid scooped toms)-and are a bit 'roomy' sounding, also. How were the drums mic'd? Did you close mic toms? Or was this a more traditional setup w/ maybe just OH's and Kick mic? BTW Deadly Rhythm is brilliant! 'We're gonna have ourselves a session...'
awesome............i'd like to know too, pelle i love your work...
Old 8th March 2006
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope209
Does anyone know any details about the recording of this cd? This is one of my all-time favorite cd's and my favorite hard record. The tones and how tight their playing is is freaking AMAZING.
go buy nation of ulyssus's "play's pretty for baby." look and listen. see where refused stole lots of shit both visually and sonically. then go listen to the make up (ian from ulyssus's next band) and see where international noise conspiracy (the band after refused) stole everything from.
it's pretty scarey how blatant it is.
Lives for gear

🎧 20 years
When I first heard this album in '98 I was expecting a revolution.

Unequivocally, one of the best rock albums in the past twenty years.

Aside: Regarding my dissatisfaction with the 'sonic quality' as I mentioned previously, I should have stated that, while I do feel the album has some great sounds, it seemed to fall short at the mixing stage. But that's just me. Still one of my all-time favorites!!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 20 years
this record is exactly what it's supposed to be. change the mix, change the impact it has IMO.
Lives for gear

🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew
this record is exactly what it's supposed to be. change the mix, change the impact it has IMO.
Not necessarily.
πŸ“ Reply