Quantcast
Monitors vs Speakers - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Monitors vs Speakers
Old 5th May 2011
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Monitors vs Speakers

I am strong with my video knowledge, but young with my audio experience. I am putting together a basic 2.1 audio setup that I will be using for both entertainment (listening to music and watching movies) as well as video editing with Final Cut Studio. Also, I will be doing minimal amounts of self audio recording/editing. Because these speakers or monitors will be used for both "prosumer" and entertainment purposes I am having trouble deciding on speakers vs. monitors. I am not so much asking what a good pair would be or which I should go with, but I wonder what physically and technically makes the difference between speakers and monitors. I know that monitors have a more "true," flat sound and that speakers are "scooped" to highlight sweet spots of a movie/music mix, but I want to know if it is possible to say, purchase monitors and adjust settings (like an equalizer) to optimize them better for movie playback. Ultimately, does the difference between monitors and speakers come down to hardware or software differences (I'm assuming both), and what are those differences? Thank you.
Old 5th May 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcachaz ➡️
I am strong with my video knowledge, but young with my audio experience. I am putting together a basic 2.1 audio setup that I will be using for both entertainment (listening to music and watching movies) as well as video editing with Final Cut Studio. Also, I will be doing minimal amounts of self audio recording/editing. Because these speakers or monitors will be used for both "prosumer" and entertainment purposes I am having trouble deciding on speakers vs. monitors. I am not so much asking what a good pair would be or which I should go with, but I wonder what physically and technically makes the difference between speakers and monitors. I know that monitors have a more "true," flat sound and that speakers are "scooped" to highlight sweet spots of a movie/music mix, but I want to know if it is possible to say, purchase monitors and adjust settings (like an equalizer) to optimize them better for movie playback. Ultimately, does the difference between monitors and speakers come down to hardware or software differences (I'm assuming both), and what are those differences? Thank you.
There is no difference between speakers and monitors.

Monitors is just the name given to speakers which are purposefully designed for working in a studio / critical listening environment.

Usually they are no different to their 'commercial counterparts', and there are many 'studio monitors' whose frequency response graph looks like the Himalaya mountain range, and 'commercial' speakers whose frequency response is more like a concrete hard standing. So the 'flat vs scooped' argument is generally pretty false.

The main difference is just that the components used in studio speakers are tougher and happier to put up with the abuse they'll get in a working environment, where commercial hifi speakers will only ever work with mastered, home-ready audio.
Old 11th May 2011 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
they are same, monitor is actually a studio name for speakers as we monitor the mix through the monitors.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yeah, it's like saying; 'should I buy a car or an automobile?'

Any manufacture can call their speaker 'monitors'. I believe there is a hifi home speaker manufacture that is actually called 'monitor audio'.
yor
Gear Head

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
While all of this is true, still, there is definitely a line to be drawn between studio monitors and home stereo speakers.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by yor ➡️
While all of this is true, still, there is definitely a line to be drawn between studio monitors and home stereo speakers.
Care to try drawing it for us? (Oh, and good luck with that)
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I can do it>>

Speakers
________

Monitors

heh
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Even though I use "flat response studio monitors", it's always baffled me why!

I guess studio guys seem to enjoy these mixing/guessing games to see how the mixes translate, but it just seems that using pretty generic home speakers (like most consumers will use to listen... no IPOD references nec.) will get them closer to a more homogenous accuracy.

I used to use these little Creative computer speakers to mix on, the damn things were dead on every time! But eventually I blew them out when we had parties, you know, "gettin down" and watnot.

steelyfan
Old 11th May 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Monitors vs Speakers

I guess you need a reference point. With something marketed as a studio monitor there is some expectation of accuracy although it may also mean a hyped midrange e.g. JBL, NS10s... While with stereo speakers there's no way of knowing what you'll get.

Probably the most accurate speakers I've ever heard were the big $100k Wilsons sold to the audiophile market. But I'd much rather listen to music through the B&Ws they use at Abbey Road. None of that qualifies as low end though. But if there is a high end audio emporium near you, go and listen to the smaller Wilson WATTs. Then take the same CD and go back to the music store and listen to the "monitors" and see how the balance compares. Then find a midrange audio place and listen to some decent midrange stuff like NHT or Energy. Compare again. Now that you have a reference, go back and listen to monitors and hi-fi speakers in your size and price range and see what works for you.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman ➡️
I can do it>>

Speakers
________

Monitors

heh
lolz
Lives for gear

Monitor

Speaker
Old 12th May 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by yor ➡️
No, I cannot agree with this. If you checked out brands such as PMC, or Accoustic Energy, you won't find any real difference between the models sold in the professional world or the domestic world. Yes, one difference is that studio monitors tend to lean towards being of active type these days, but that tends to be the preference of many newer studios, although again, this was not always the case. Audiophiles tend to reveal in the process of buying speakers with separate pre and power amps, etc etc. At the end of the day, a pair of "Domestic" PMC's on a "Domestic" Bryston, Pre and Power amp, wouldn't fail in anyone's studio.

Also, do not forget that the Yamaha NS-10m's purpose was as a HI-FI speaker and it instead became one of the most recognised "monitors" in the studio world. Not saying it is good or bad, but considering it is the most famous monitor, but really, it was a domestic speaker, doesn't really support there being a line of any kind.

There too, are many many "Monitors" that are quite "hyped" in tone, so this is also not a dividing factor between the Studio World or the HI-FI World.
Old 12th May 2011
Deleted 6ccb844
You may find that in some cases a Hi-Fi speaker is a better option for mixing and recording. If you are buying something on a budget, You can pick up a big pair of relatively flat response decent Hi-fi speakers for £100.00 whereas if you are mixing on £100.00 monitors you may find yourself worse off...

Below is all the scientific's and tests that have been run, which proves in a way you may not be better off with monitors.

MONITORS versus HI-FI SPEAKERS

Several tests have been run and the conclusion were no where near far gone, for the odd project engineer it may be worth looking at some decent hifi speakers.. For an actual all the time on studio you may be best with Monitors... Why? Because 99 percent of what the amps do is create heat and it causes alot of wear and tear, HI-FI speakers don't put up with this as much.. But on the other hand you could argue that the performance of monitors vs. hi-fi speakers is relative and the cost of good speakers are a fraction of monitors, it depends if you want to treat your hi-fi speakers like a disposable lighter.. It will do the job and do it well but it won't last forever...
Old 12th May 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxavier ➡️
No, I cannot agree with this. If you checked out brands such as PMC, or Accoustic Energy, you won't find any real difference between the models sold in the professional world or the domestic world.
With PMC isn't the difference between their pro-monitor line and the equivalent model in the HiFi line just the exterior finish? That the HiFi versions are a little more expensive due to the nicer veneers offered?
Old 6th December 2016
Here for the gear

Answer.
Speakers is the general English term
monitors is a more or less a genre
monitors refer to a close proximity, flat frequency response, full spectrum set of speakers used for monitoring everything as chrystaline and clear as possible, no mercy.. bc thats how it sounds x1000, out there.
📝 Reply