The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Presonus Central Station a Total Bust?
Old 13th October 2011 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
crap.

I'm on unit number 4. The left channel completely died. The 3 before that had all kinds of issues, remote problems, led issues, volume issues. If the damn thing worked I'd be happy. But four units later? Sheesh...4!
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkman ➑️
I'm on unit number 4. The left channel completely died. The 3 before that had all kinds of issues, remote problems, led issues, volume issues. If the damn thing worked I'd be happy. But four units later? Sheesh...4!
I think I know what's wrong:
You live between LA and Nashville.
Your extension cords are simply way too long.
You're killing the power supplies.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I wanted a monitor controller for my mobile rig and ended up using a CS for about a year. When I got it I was doing a demo for a band in their garage and thought the sonic problems were due to room acoustics. It's a nice unit with good bang per buck, it's compact and has nice features.

Anyway, a month ago, I had some spare time and did a comparison with the monitor controller I have in the project studio system, which is a Grace 904. Holy cow, I could not believe it. The CS doesn't seem to add any quirks to the signal path but it certainly takes a back seat to the 904 in terms of low level detail and phase coherency. It's really obvious on percussion, both on the attack side of a note as well as how tight the decay of a note is on the Grace compared to the CS. Granted, we're talking apples and oranges in the price comparison. Bottom line, I sold the CS and used the money (along with other sold stuff) to buy a Phoenix mic pre.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookerv12 ➑️
I think I know what's wrong:
You live between LA and Nashville.
Your extension cords are simply way too long.
You're killing the power supplies.
DANG! Never thought of that! haha
Old 26th October 2011 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomidijace ➑️
A friend of mine used one and said it sounded fine until the remote was connected. Then the stereo imaging was gone and the sound was dull.
I should rephrase this. It's not like he plugged in the remote and his sound turned to crap. The remote was added to the rack unit he'd had for quite a while. Later after working on some projects he noticed the stereo imaging and dull sound issues. During his trouble shooting, he remembered that he had recently added that remote. Once it was removed, the sound went back to normal.
So for all of you using the remote with no problems, try disconnecting the remote and see if you hear a change.
Old 21st December 2011 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I concur. Have been using one since late 2008. Last week it became left heavy and developed a hum from the HP output. As soon as took it out to send in, I sent my output from the A/D directly into my Driverack PA and to my speakers. It was like a cotton blanket was removed from the mix. Up to then I thought the CS sounded pretty good. Will switch to the Coleman M3PH this week.
Old 25th December 2011
Gear Addict

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
4 years.
with remote.
no probs.

love it, couldn't live without it.
Old 25th December 2011 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
That's just peachy. However, have you run your mixes through a Coleman M3PH like I am now? If you do, you're in for a big surprise. My CS will be on Ebay soon. Maybe your're not aware that the CS colors your sound. Especially on the Cue section. Even Presonus admits this. As far as passive goes, the CS might be passive in theory, but without an attenuated volume knob, you're not really passive. Other than that, the CS, like many other Prosumer units trys to shove all kinds of functions into a small box to satisfy the status quo, but in doing so sacrifices audio fidelity.
Old 25th December 2011
Gear Addict

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I had mine for a couple years with no problems. Had no problem with the sound either until I recently upgraded to the Kush Gain Train. I instantly realized that the CS is sorta a turd It's twice as much but well worth it.
Old 25th December 2011
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Had mine for a couple of years and it was alright, but nothing special. When I upgraded to a Dangerous D-box, that's when I knew what I was missing. Everything just sounded cleaner, more transparent, which meant I could really hear my mixes. I didn't know that was my weakest link until I upgraded. The added 8 channel summing was a bonus as well.
Old 25th December 2011 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Kush, huh? With a name like that you must be hearing clearer.
Old 27th December 2011 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
I use to have the CS a few years ago and thought I rolling with the big boys. It looked nice in the rack and sounded pretty good til I found out about the coloration from some threads here on Gear Slutz. I did a little trouble shoot for myself to see what everyone was talking about and connected my monitors directly from my interface main outs instead of the CS. The result was night and day. The CS did in fact take something away from the sound and the stereo image. It added a color to the sound coming through my Dynaudio BM6a speakers. I sold the CS and have been without a monitoring unit for sometime now. I've been saving for the Dangerous Monitor ST. In my opinion Presonus should've released 2 versions of the CS. The one they have now , and a highend unit that is on the level of the Avocet, Dangerous Monitor ST and Kush units.
PDC
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatmaker E.I. ➑️
I use to have the CS a few years ago and thought I rolling with the big boys. It looked nice in the rack and sounded pretty good til I found out about the coloration from some threads here on Gear Slutz. I did a little trouble shoot for myself to see what everyone was talking about and connected my monitors directly from my interface main outs instead of the CS. The result was night and day. The CS did in fact take something away from the sound and the stereo image. It added a color to the sound coming through my Dynaudio BM6a speakers. I sold the CS and have been without a monitoring unit for sometime now. I've been saving for the Dangerous Monitor ST. In my opinion Presonus should've released 2 versions of the CS. The one they have now , and a highend unit that is on the level of the Avocet, Dangerous Monitor ST and Kush units.
Ok, I have to ask. Did you have to read threads on Gearslutz, where the probability of 90% of the people hear just typing with no experience and listening to and working on laptops? Come on. You could not hear problems yourself?

The unit is passive. It has nothing in the audio path really. It is connecting input "a" to output "x". Presonus didn't sell these things to hundreds of thousands of people and pee on them all. The company stands behind it's products.

I will tell you this. My buddy Steve bought an Avocet and it did not function out of the box. It had issues that they could not solve. I guarantee you that the percentage of failures is higher for these boutique companies than Presonus.

There is a bunch of hype going on with these devices, especially here. Don't be bullied into thinking you are hearing what you ware not, because you read someone else saying it.
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomidijace ➑️
So for all of you using the remote with no problems, try disconnecting the remote and see if you hear a change.
There's a switch on the back the enables/disable the remote. Match the volume with remote in and out, then have someone switch it in and out with you blindfolded (he just selects in as A and out as B or vice versa and tells you now it's A, now it's B) and see if you can tell the difference after a good number of swaps.

As to the general thing going on on the last page of posts, the thing is that EVERYONE hears a newer or more expensive toy as better, for very obvious reasons. You LISTEN when you get a new toy. You are very actively listening, so of course you hear stuff you weren't hearing after months with something else because you long ago stopped listening that actively. Everyone does this, and unless you understand it it's trivially easy to just assume that the new thing is vastly better. But unless you can A/B them, the comparison is not very meaningful. And if you are claiming that there is some vast difference, you are kind of implying that other people are just too pathetic to hear such a massive difference, and that's clearly just not the case.
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDC ➑️
Ok, I have to ask. Did you have to read threads on Gearslutz, where the probability of 90% of the people hear just typing with no experience and listening to and working on laptops? Come on. You could not hear problems yourself?
Yes I agree that there is a bunch of hype on these forums about certain products and to answer your question, it was not the threads on this forum that made me sell it, I said it was the fact that when I connected my monitors directly to my interface, the sound improved drastically. Imaging as well as loudness which only tells me that the CS was doing something to what I was hearing through my speakers. No I could not hear anything wrong at first. I must admit that the threads led me to experiment and troubleshoot to see just what others were implying and for ME it was true. Some other users including yourself may not have experienced those problems and if the CS works for you, then by all means use it. For me, I'll be moving on to the Dangerous Monitor ST.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Not withstanding the aforementioned posts, I must retort by saying that the only way to be satisfied is to listen to your mix bypassing any retail controller, being careful with the lack of volume control. This is your sound. Now, after hearing a Dangerous, CS, Coleman, etc. you listen and see which one is closest to a mirror image of the output. The CS was the first and only Controller I had for three years. I was sort of duped into buying it by a recommendation by a friend who is an audio designer. So, after the CS started developing problems I sought advice from one of the top 5 mastering engineers of the last 25 years(name withhled). Then came the Coleman M3PH. It would have been better to compare before I bought the CS, but at that time the Coleman DAW model wasn't around yet and I didn't think to listen to any others. BTW, Coleman stands behind and guarantees satisfaction. A small, caring "old school" company. Don't know about the others.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I am skeptical that the CS has such an impact on the sound. I have been using one for 3-4 years without a single problem. I don't use the onboard conversion for monitoring, but I think the D/A is totally usable at moderate levels. It gets harsh with loud stuff though.

I have a Dangerous D-Box on the way, so I will have a chance to do a direct A/B in a week or so. I will try to make an objective comparison.
Old 27th December 2011
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
But that's kind of the thing. You can't really A/B these types of systems. Unless you have some super-high quality (no one will argue it affects the sound) means of quickly switching the signal between the two systems through the same monitors, volume matched, it wouldn't be possible to really A/B them. Unhooking one and hooking up another and sitting back down a few minutes later isn't really very useful in terms of a valid A/B test. You really need them both up and for someone to switch them for you while you listen blind.
Old 28th December 2011
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey ➑️
But that's kind of the thing. You can't really A/B these types of systems. Unless you have some super-high quality (no one will argue it affects the sound) means of quickly switching the signal between the two systems through the same monitors, volume matched, it wouldn't be possible to really A/B them. Unhooking one and hooking up another and sitting back down a few minutes later isn't really very useful in terms of a valid A/B test. You really need them both up and for someone to switch them for you while you listen blind.
Good point...maybe I will have my lady friend swap the cables while I'm not looking. I could have her randomly change the volume on each unit too. We could do this a number of times and compile my preferences for each a/b. Worth a try if I can find the time.
Old 28th December 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Sounds romantic!
Old 11th January 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
@lobsterinn: Did you have a chance yet for the romantic A/B comparision? My local store currently has a good offer on the central station (including the remote). I'd love to hear that it sounds great cus "the price sounds ace". :-)
Old 11th January 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rassy ➑️
@lobsterinn: Did you have a chance yet for the romantic A/B comparision? My local store currently has a good offer on the central station (including the remote). I'd love to hear that it sounds great cus "the price sounds ace". :-)
Sorry, I don't have much to report. Once I sat down to actually compare the CS with the D-Box I realized there were too many cords to swap to make any kind of quick, objective comparison. I now need xlr/xlr cables to my speakers instead of trs/xlr, and I switched to 110 ohm cabling...So at the same time I switched to a new monitor controller, new D/A (used to be HEDD), and new cabling.

I can tell you my monitoring has improved. Stereo image is more precise, low end more focused, and I feel like mixing decisions are slightly easier. I have swapped cables to some Mogami quad, and the 110 ohm cables are noticeably more transparent. The D/A difference is more apples and oranges, with the HEDD seeming to be more flattering and the D-Box more transparent.

My gut tells me there is a slight improvement from CS to D-Box, but not as much as the cable. If you need the features of the CS and it fits your budget I wouldn't worry about it ruining your work.
Old 11th January 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I am not a pro but I think the Central Station is great for the money. I have yet to experience any of the problems many report. I should have gotten the remote because I have to lean a bit to get to the controls but for my little home writers studio, it does the trick.
Old 11th January 2012 | Show parent
Louder Than Liftoff

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey ➑️
What I would do is take a mix you are very familiar and record the the output of that mix through your best D/A converters into the monitor controller in question, back into your best A/D. Do this loopback for all the devices you want to compare. Also be sure to make one pass where there is no monitor controller in the signal path--this is your control. You can even do it for different volume knob settings if you want. Now connect your studio monitors directly to your D/A. Set the trims on the back of the monitors so that you can listen to your mix at about 85 dB SPL. Using your DAW you can line up each file and blindly switch between them to evaluate any sonic difference there may be. The best monitor controller is the one that causes the least amount of degradation to the sound when compared to the control file (just D/A into A/D loopback). If you can't hear a difference between multiple products then go with the least expensive one that gives you the feature set you desire.

Warrent Dent of Zen Pro Audio has done something very similar to what I described on his website using the Presonus Central Station and the Kush Audio Main Gain. Here's a link:

ZenPro Audio: Monitor Controller Tests

Brad
πŸ“ Reply