The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Audio-Technica AT4033a vs AT4050 vs AT4047 vs AT4040 vs .....
Old 21st February 2006
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Audio-Technica AT4033a vs AT4050 vs AT4047 vs AT4040 vs .....

Hello
Im looking for male vocal MIC . So Im in interest about AudioTechnica MICs , because they are at good price (without AT4060) and they have good reviews .
But I dont know which is better for male vocal .
Can you help me ?

AUDIO TECHNICA AT4033a
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1996...6/at4033a.html

AUDIO TECHNICA AT4050
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1996...96/at4050.html

AUDIO TECHNICA AT4047/SV
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan0...les/at4047.htm

AUDIO TECHNICA AT4040
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/Sep0...s/at4040sm.asp
Old 21st February 2006
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gore
Hello
Im looking for male vocal MIC . So Im in interest about AudioTechnica MICs , because they are at good price (without AT4060) and they have good reviews .
Can you help me ?
Probably not - no one can predict what your voice will sound like through any of these mics. But they're not that hard to find in local stores, so you can go try them out for yourself.

Ty Ford has reviewed several of these mics, so you might want to check his site:

http://home.comcast.net/~tyreeford/
Old 21st February 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gore
because they are at good price (without AT4060)
i got an AT4060 from brad at musiciansadvocate.com for $750
if thats a price that dips into your budget, i suggest you go with the AT4060.
it is head above the rest as a vocal mic, and the shockmount is exponentially better than the other AT mic's. (i wouldn't use the stock shockmount that comes with the AT4050 and below)

but re: all of those mic's - i agree with Gilliland.
your voice, you should try them all out in person.
Old 28th March 2008
ddp
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gore ➑️
Hello
Can you help me ?

AUDIO TECHNICA AT4033a
Audio Technica AT4033a

AUDIO TECHNICA AT4050
Audio Technica AT4050

AUDIO TECHNICA AT4047/SV
Audio Technica AT4047/SV

AUDIO TECHNICA AT4040
Audio Technica AT4040 SM
For my voice I like the 4033a over the 4050. Actually in most applications.
The 4033a should be very cheap on ebay too!
Check it out at:
Average used prices for Audio Technica /// PrePal
Old 28th March 2008 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I've got the 4033 and the 4047. On my voice I prefer the 4047, also the 4033 seems to work well on female voices.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
The 4033 has a soft midrange tone that can work well on male singing. The 4047 has a more hyped sound that makes it a great FOK mic. Either is a good mic, but each has a specific tone which makes it interesting but less versatile.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
good thread. I was interested in all of these mics. Awesome bang for buck.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
4060 is fuller and better sounding for me than 4050.Changing tube for Brimar e88cc makes the difference.It is good mic.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
For my voice, the 4033 and 4060 are the only ones I would use...and I wouldn't CHOOSE to use them at all--an Sm7b does better than both.

But, the real answer to "which one" is the same as ALL cheap LDCs--it's all about the singer. there's no right answer. I know someone who traded me a 4033 because he hated it on his voice--and loves the 4050. I know someone else who will only use the 4047.

Here's what you do...get an Sm7b and a Re20...return the one that suits you least. Done.
Old 29th March 2008 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Love my 4040. Don't think you would regret with any of them.

You've listened to the sound samples here?

Audio-Technica - Microphones, headphones, wireless microphone systems, noise-cancelling headphones & more : Detailed Audio
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
i find the 4050 to work better on female vocalist.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
it's too bad that they use such a horrible singer on the audio-technica site, i want to shoot myself in the mouth before I'm even through listening to one sample.
the guitar samples and the female vocals are ok though. I feel drawn to the 4047, sounds great on guitar.

-wtk
KEL
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Brock ➑️
The 4033 has a soft midrange tone that can work well on male singing. The 4047 has a more hyped sound that makes it a great FOK mic. Either is a good mic, but each has a specific tone which makes it interesting but less versatile.
semantics perhaps but I find the 4033 fairly bright and more brittle than the dark and wooly FET 4047. "Hyped" usually means really bright. If anything the 4047 is a bit dark..yet still has the AT thing which is a bit of smeared crunchiness. Having owned all of these i'd say the 4047 is the vibe model, my favorite. the 4050 sort of HiFi clean scooped and nice(slightly unexciting to sing with) and the 4040 a slightly smoother 4033. The 4040 is the value. The 4050 works well with tubes and the multipattern is nice.
Old 7th April 2008 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Well, by hyped I mean that the 4047 has a big bass, maybe even a gigantic bass, and a cutting high end, which I would describe as bright, without as much midrange.

If you look at the frequency response linked here:

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/re...047sv_freq.jpg

You can see that it has a goosed high and low. This corresponds to my experience. Certainly many people describe it as "warm" and "dark" and so on, but I hear it "warm plus bright".

Then if you look at the 4033 freq response here:
http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/re...033cl_freq.jpg

It has somethings going on on the top, but also some weird midrange bumps that work to accentuate certain male vocals.

btb
Old 7th April 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have a couple 4033's and a 4050. Either sound great on certain people. But on my voice (yes I sing sometimes lol) I use the SM7 too. But if I had to choose prolly be the 4050 for the broadest range of vocals. But the 4033 will kick it on some people. I also have a 4054 wich is really cool because it is a 4050 in a handheld with the high pass turned on.
Old 8th April 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
A new suspension system has been designed to isolate the capsule from as much external vibration as possible

Audio Technica AT4047/SV

has any one taken this thing apart
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The 4033 can help some voices really cut through in a mix .
Nice on a bass cab too .
The 4050 was a bore to me .
I agree that the sm7b is a failsafe vocal mic .
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
4040 here
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gevermil ➑️
The 4033 can help some voices really cut through in a mix .
Nice on a bass cab too .
The 4050 was a bore to me .
I agree that the sm7b is a failsafe vocal mic .
agree 100%
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hmm never tried the 4033 on bass cab. Good suggestion. It has the balls in the low end and could pick up a slap great. Thanks will put it up next time. See what happens.

I didn't like it so much on guitar cabs...

Truthfully I use the 4033's for drum overheads mostly.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
4047 has a nice thick, gooey sound. I like it on a guitar cab and acoustic guitar as well. Not my favorite on vocals, however (give me an SM7 instead).
Old 16th October 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Out of all the AT40.. serie, which one would capture the best the deep lows, creamy mids and overdriven highs of an ampeg svt tube amp? (vintage)

They seem to have the high end I'm looking for (compared to sm57, re20, md421 and some condenser mics I tried) but I'm not sure which one would be the best.
Old 16th October 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I love the AT4047... works on many vocalists, male or female. It's warm and has a very smooth top end. It is also great on strings and outside the kick drum.
Out of the 24 mics in the cabinet, if I had to choose only 3, the AT4047 would be one of them.
Old 21st April 2010 | Show parent
Gear Head

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I'm probably late getting my vote in, but i found the 4050 was the warmest out of all of them. I own one, and it sounds great on everything I put it in front of. 4047 is really nice too, the differences are really subtle between all of them. I keep hearing about the SM7 as a starter mic or mic for getting really close up to it, great for MCs, snare, guitar cabs, anything you may in the face of your listeners! I'm picking one up soon.
Old 21st April 2010 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Check out 3d audio. They have a mic comparison for download that's actually really good (like $20). They have all the mics you've listed. I think that the 4050 and 4033 are actually the same (just the 4050 has the other patterns) but I'm not 100%.
Old 21st April 2010
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
As others have noted YMMV on your voice with any mic.
That said I have a 4047 and love it on my voice and others as well, but it took a little getting used to since I was used to inexpensive and harshly bright mics. I had a 4033 briefly and liked the 47 better. I'm not familiar with the other mics in the AT line but I'm sure you listened to the clips on AT's site.

I've heard many say that the 47 is the standout mic in the line. Its got a lot of chest and body, it has enough of an edge to cut without sibilance and a lot of high end. Its a transformer balanced mic for whatever that's worth to you. And it sounds really amazing in the GAP 73 preamp. I personally like the shock mount that came with it, although I don't run a hectic commercial studio, so my mics are pretty babied.

I found mine used right here on GS for a good price. Unfortunately AT seems to have raised their prices significantly.

jn
Old 22nd April 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
AT40 series has a very positive value/cost ratio.

4047- Has a sound to it, cabs, acoustic strings, drums and perc, even some voices.
4050- Swiss army knive, quite transparent, use a color pre/comp it you need it, not specially good for vox IMO.

I really want to get a 4060...

Carlos
Old 30th November 2010 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by popmann ➑️
I know someone who traded me a 4033 because he hated it on his voice--
I knwow this is an old thread but I simply could not help but re-open it.

Here is how I approach this - I do not like to match mics per singer, I would much rather match it (or contrast it) to the mix. Think of it like a painter with a pallette of colors. So your singer has to have great tone regardless of the mic you use. Never let the type of singer determine the mic you will select.

I can't wait to get my hands on a 4047, because its soft warm "rounded highs" and heavily colored quality with dark, yet warmly dark mids - will blend vocals in perfectly with the softened quality of the guitar sounds coming from the softened style of sound coming from the Axe FX guitar modeler as well as the softened quality of the Access Virus synthesizer (IMO the two greatest pieces of musical instrument technologies in history).

An accurate analogy to the combination of these tools is like in soap operas with that softened filter on the lens slightly softening the details which would otherwise be sharp - the equivalent idea in audio is these tools I describe in a mix - warmly soft highs, but at the same time still huge and 3D sounding and still very clear because they are all "gooey". This combination of tools in my pallette will generate a very dream-like vibe enhanced by the 4047 because the F.E.T. style overtone are stunning in their color - that the mic has a vibe that words cannot describe.

But on another occasion, I may wish to use the bright and very present and lively sounding 4060 as a contrast standing out much more from those "softened instrument technologies" instead. But I also love the 4050 because it is very honest and simple. A mic that will not in anyway lack any quality with a great singer. Do not listen to those who tell you its a boring mic - it is an amazing mic, but just not too colored.

But the 4033 and 4040 are also breathtaking - sparkly without being too harsh. But I believe I read somewhere in audio technica literature that the 4050 is just a multi-pattern version of a 4033, but I could be wrong. But what I love about my own 4050 is that when you switch to the multi-pattern modes, especially omni-directional- that I can hear a neat effect of my diffusers in my vocal booth. (Yes the one you see that is black in my icon - available on ebay in any color).

I can't wait to have the multi-pattern version of the 4047!

But I absolutely think the 40 series is a line that competes with mics costing many many times the price, but I will not state any names of mics so that no one who spent the big bucks gets offended.

But it is industry standard knowledge that Audio Technica is a firm that makes extremely high quality mics for a fraction of the cost of the highest end mics - just like Aphex and their preamps which are so close in sound quality to preamps costing 3x the price (in some cases even bigger, and more brilliant). So its not always about the money.

I simply wish to own every single mic in the 40 series one day! Enough said.

But with that said, please note that a good singer will sound good on any microphone. I know of a few vocalists I have heard in my life who are have pure tone - nothing but quality tones and overtones coming out of their vocals. They even sound good if you put a $60 SM57 in front of them. But there are others who simply do not have the tone no matter even if you put a 10,000 dollar microphone in front of them. No mic will fix a horrid vocalist with bad tones.

So never use a mic to try to cover up bad overtones or people who have annoying or terribly ******* sounding voices, it doesn't matter how good their intonation is if they lack proper tone. If someone thinks a particular singer sounds terrible on any particular mic, and if anyone suggests that another mic should be used, I disagree because chances are - its not the mic. LOL. Microphone selection for a singer is like providing various color palettes to a painter, but if the painter can't paint, it does not matter how many colors you give them. So again, approach microphones relative to your mix, not relative to a vocalist. A good vocalist will shine through anything. So it just depends on what you call for in your mix.

If someone tries to tell you that a particular mic is terrible for one type of voice, or "boring" for another types of voice - I would run away... and FAST.

For my own project, I can go rent any mic and my vocalist will sound full on anyone of them, and has never ever sounded bad on any mic whatsoever.

NEVER try to match a microphone to try to suit a vocalist, but ALWAYS try to match (or contrast) different mics in relation to the rest of the instruments until you have the right match or contrast that you prefer regarding the vocals atop the instruments - or to bring out one particular characteristic about a persons vocals. (but never the reverse masking method). In other words, NEVER never ever try to approach the matter by trying to hide any unwanted vocal characteristics with microphones. If anyone says that is possible, then you my friend are facing a total quack and their words must be avoided at all costs - no matter what the cost.

While it is true that certain mics bring out certain characteristics in certain types of voices better, it should still matter little what mic is selected. Because if the vocalist has any unwanted characteristic in their vocals coming across in microphones, then such individuals may want to look into expressing themselves in other ways - perhaps with paint & brushes, or with a hammer & chisel, or any of the many other art forms. Because vocals or maybe even music simply is not their calling.
Lives for gear

26 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Old thread. I like 4033 on background female vox, and drum overheads. They are a clear but "soft" sounding mic to my ears. Also good on a bright piano.
Lives for gear

45 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
The 4033 is a great work horse. It can sound very good with many applications from male/female voices, to recording guitar amps. The transformer-less mic has a slightly warm, sound that sounds very nice. It lacks the high end detail of higher end mic's, but that is a good thing as you don't want all the high end articulation on everything .

The 4047 sounds similar but since it has a transformer, it offers a fuller sound in the lower mids giving more weight to your tracks. Great if you want the vocals to have more umph.

4050 has a flatter more even response and is very similar to the newer AKG 414 silver mic series. I found it amazing on acoustic instruments.

4060 has a little darker and smoother sound. Can sound really nice on vocals, and even on a bright acoustic guitar. All AT 4000 series mic's have the same family signature but just a little different. Oh and the built quality is very high and consistent.
πŸ“ Reply