The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Focusrite ISA One: Question for experienced users
Old 16th April 2011
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Focusrite ISA One: Question for experienced users

Hello,

I just bought this unit today and haven't had time to unpack it yet, but I've read the PDF file and have a question for you:

If I plan to plug in a bass and run the output directly into a PCI card, should I choose the DI out or the Main Out? I'm a little confused about this. What are the differences?

Thanks in advance for your help
Old 16th April 2011
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
...no one...?
Old 16th April 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
According to the manual, the DI output will carry the signal plugged into the Instrument input, regardless of how the front switch is set (Mic/Line/Inst), while the Main output will only carry the Instrument signal if the switch is set to Instrument. In other words, if the switch is set to Inst. on the front, they should carry the same signal.
Old 16th April 2011 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Radiospace,

Thank you for your reply!
I'm in the process of setting it up this afternoon - I bought too many things at once
Old 17th April 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm pretty sure the DI out is there so you can get the signal into an amp, thus being able to record a direct and amped signal at the same time.
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 ➡️
I'm pretty sure the DI out is there so you can get the signal into an amp, thus being able to record a direct and amped signal at the same time.
It seems quite strange to me that they would make a balanced, XLR output with the intention of sending the signal to an amp. I think it is more likely there so that you can track a single bass performance to two tracks, the main one being run through a compressor (using the insert loop) and the DI output capturing the uncompressed signal. Or, you could record a singer songwriter on two tracks, capturing the voice via microphone on the main output and the guitar via the DI output. Anything along those lines, where you'd record the DI output to a second track.

In any case, there is a dedicated 1/4" output on the front of the unit (labelled "Amp") which is expressly for the purpose of sending the DI signal to an amp, and that's how I'd recommend hooking up to an amp.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Thanks for your replies guys!

My intention with this unit(that's why I purchased it) is to record directly into the PCI card without going into an amp, therefore, going into the DI and the preamp. What confused me was why there was an option of a DI only because then you'd have to send it to another preamp - which would defeat the purpose of getting this preamp in the first place!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The second output (the DI-only line-out) is a bonus. It is basically a single channel preamp with a built-in DI but you get the added possibility of getting the DI on a separate output so you can record, say, a line guitar and vocal simultaneously. So it´s two channels if one is the mic/line input and the other is the DI only.

However, the DI output sounds a little different than switching in the DI on the mic input side. It bypasses the input transformer and the phase rev and HPF functionality.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gainreduction ➡️
The second output (the DI-only line-out) is a bonus. It is basically a single channel preamp with a built-in DI but you get the added possibility of getting the DI on a separate output so you can record, say, a line guitar and vocal simultaneously. So it´s two channels if one is the mic/line input and the other is the DI only.

However, the DI output sounds a little different than switching in the DI on the mic input side. It bypasses the input transformer and the phase rev and HPF functionality.

Gainreduction,

If I understand your last sentence correctly, that would mean that this instance would be same as, say, using a regular DI like a Radial and then going into a mixer's preamp or another regular preamp before going into the PCI sound card, right?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
It is +4dB line level and ready to go. No extra amplification needed.

But it is a different circuit than using the DI on the mic input. Both sound good so no worries, they're just slightly different.
Old 18th April 2011 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Gainreduction,

Thanks for your explanation! The manual wasn't that helpful as far as that was concerned.
At any rate, I started doing some tests on it and soundwise, it is VERY impressive. Very clean and punchy.
I just have to recalibrate the meters as it doesn't reflect the output properly - way too low!
Thanks again!
Old 11th April 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainreduction ➡️

How to get both from ADAT connection, I only get one or the other, mic or DI. its input 7 on logic. I can't get simultaneous seperate channels.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…