The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
any gefell mv692/m70/m94 users here - need advice!
Old 12th February 2006
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
any gefell mv692/m70/m94 users here? (soundfiles)

hey,

i got some mv692's and quite a lot of capsules. they all sound quite different, but i have two m70's and m94's which sound quite similar. i just don't know if they should sound the way they do. the m70's sound a bit trashy and vintage-like when used as drum-overhead, the m94's sound very harsh and can't be used as matched stereo pair.

could anyone have a short listen if these soundclips sound like gefell's should do? i want to buy a um70 or m71 too, but i'm not very satisfied with the small diaphragm capsules yet.

cheers,
flo

oktava mk012
akg c451L (similar to c451E)
gefell mv692 + m70
gefell mv692 + m94
Old 12th February 2006
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
The UM70 is a nice capsule. Very classic sounding. There are a few fakes and retreads around so be careful when buying. thumbsup
Old 12th February 2006 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
there is quite a lot of gefell stuff around here in austria/germany, but you need to be lucky though to get good stuff, that's right.
Old 13th February 2006 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
any comments concerning the audio examples?

cheers,
flo
C/G
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Love
The UM70 is a nice capsule. Very classic sounding. There are a few fakes and retreads around so be careful when buying. thumbsup
UM70 and M70 are two completely different animals. UM70 is a large diaphragm PVC capsule like in the old U47 tube mics, while the M70 is a small diaphragm nickel capsule. I believe the poster is talking about the later, since the M94 is a similar type to the M70 but is made for a more distant pickup and has a slight bump in the high frequencies if memory serves me correctly. I have both and they sound extremely smooth and detailed, not harsh or trashy. Maybe yours need some TLC or your mic amplifiers have some problems.

If you are thinkinh about buying some UM70 capsules for your MV692 bodies, try to avoid ebay since you never know what you are getting, and besides, a new UM70 capsule is still available from Gefell for about $550 US. The used ones usually fetch about $350-$450 so why gamble on an abused capsule when you can get a brand spanking new one for not much more. A reskin of an old capsule will cost about $300 -$400 anyway. Play it safe and buy new.

Contact this guy in Germany, his name is Peter Drefahl. He can help with your capsules. [email protected]
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Gaucher
UM70 and M70 are two completely different animals. UM70 is a large diaphragm PVC capsule like in the old U47 tube mics, while the M70 is a small diaphragm nickel capsule. I believe the poster is talking about the later, since the M94 is a similar type to the M70 but is made for a more distant pickup and has a slight bump in the high frequencies if memory serves me correctly. I have both and they sound extremely smooth and detailed, not harsh or trashy. Maybe yours need some TLC or your mic amplifiers have some problems.

If you are thinkinh about buying some UM70 capsules for your MV692 bodies, try to avoid ebay since you never know what you are getting, and besides, a new UM70 capsule is still available from Gefell for about $550 US. The used ones usually fetch about $350-$450 so why gamble on an abused capsule when you can get a brand spanking new one for not much more. A reskin of an old capsule will cost about $300 -$400 anyway. Play it safe and buy new.

Contact this guy in Germany, his name is Peter Drefahl. He can help with your capsules. [email protected]
Colin, just to be clear, I was answering his question as to whether a UM70 would be a nice addition to his capsule collection...
C/G
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Love
Colin, just to be clear, I was answering his question as to whether a UM70 would be a nice addition to his capsule collection...
Coolio. I was adding info just in case.
Old 14th February 2006 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Gaucher

he he, thanks guys...

i already bought an um70 for about 240$ - if it's not working properly i'll send it to gefell. i already made the experience with mbho (haun) SDC's - sent them to the HQ and they sounded 200% better.

what does mr. drefahl do? service for gefell mics? is he a worker at microtech gefell?

i still don't know if my SDC capsules sound like they should... anyone had a listen to the soundfiles?

cheers,
flo
Old 15th February 2006 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
*push* last time...
Old 15th February 2006 | Show parent
C/G
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by floxe

what does mr. drefahl do? service for gefell mics? is he a worker at microtech gefell?

cheers,
flo
Peter owns an audio shop in Konstanz Germany called Drefahl Audio. He sells new and vintage gear and is a very good mic tech. I have bought many refurbished Gefell mics from him and he is an expert in Gefell and other German mic repair. He can reskin UM70 capsules with PVC or mylar, but I would go straight to Gefell for that. If the diaphragm is ok, and the problem in your UM70 is an electrical or mechanical one, he can service it and he can clean and check out your sdc capsules as well.
He gets really nice vintage mics that are usually in pristine condition for sale as well. He is a really good guy.
Old 22nd March 2007 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by C/G ➑️

Is the M94 also a Nickel capsuel or Mylar ? ie the equivilent of a Microtech Gefell 295 mic.

thanks,

Dave
Old 22nd March 2007 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
M94 is equivalent to M294
M70 is equivalent to M295
both are nickel. I had a few of them and the differences in sensitivity and sound were too big for me.
Regards
Hermann
Old 4th April 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
i know it's an old thread but probably someone will have a look at it.

all my m70 and m94 were serviced by mr. thiersch in schleiz/germany and the soundfiles linked here do represent defective capsules. some of them had holes in the membrane, some were tensioned too tightly and some had to be cleaned.

best,
flo
Old 4th April 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Ah, good information! Thanks for the update -- late though it might seem. heh

Also, just to modify something said above, it's the M94 has the upper range boost, the M70 is flatter -- which is not to say uninteresting. It's got a great vibe -- the M70 692 combo is one of my favorite mics.

Cheers.

Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Years later....

The mics need service if they doesnΒ΄t sound good.

The amplifiers unfortunately fall short of the high quality of the capsules in their original state.
To fix this problem, microphone engineer Andreas Grosser offers a complete rebuild of the impedance converter, replacing everything except the output transformer and the 60V generator. The old field-effect transistor (FET) is replaced by a circuit with two modern FETs to achieve a smooth characteristic.

The replacement noise level is significantly reduced and more than twice the sound levels can be transmitted without distortion. The sonic characteristics are now similar to those of the M582 tube amplifier.

A good amp & m94 should sound like that:

πŸ“ Reply