The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
PSP SQuad Plugins
Old 8th March 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
PSP SQuad Plugins

I see so many selling these plugins. Whats wrong with them ?
Old 8th March 2011
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeProducer ➑️
I see so many selling these plugins. Whats wrong with them ?
Actually, there is nothing wrong with these plugins, they sound great. I also think they look like toys, but that's just my opinion.heh
Old 8th March 2011 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
They sound great, each one of them. I especially like McQ for the HPF-LPF options, and the fixed Q options. It can add very nice mids to a guitar track.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
They do sound great. Especially with the saturation off imo ...
Old 8th March 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
did you guys actually notice that on the classic EQ, the high Q button doesn't do anything? its a bug ...

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeProducer ➑️
did you guys actually notice that on the classic EQ, the high Q button doesn't do anything? its a bug ...
Aha!! That's why it sounded so good. heh

🎧 15 years
Hearing the difference between EQ plugins is anyway not that easy.. it's more important to learn the frequencies themselves and how they sound.. it's a general problem of plugins that they tend to all sound the same (with some exceptions).
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Love & Use PSP all the time-the eq's are the only ones I don't own. Demo-ed, though, and thought they sounded great
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
McQ is a favourite of mine. So flexible. love the LPF to deaden sibiliant mics.

Buy them. No regrets here
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
They are really good. I love them..

That said, I'm selling mine! heh

I'm only selling them because I am cutting down on plugins and I have many other eq plugs that are part of bundles that I can't sell separately. Otherwise I would keep these over the others.

pm me if you want to make an offer.

Matt

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Stunning plugins. My workhorse eqs along with the more surgical equality. I almost only use the amek and the neve ones. Sat always off.
People selling them is an indication that many more people do buy them. You wouldn't think the urei 1176 sucks just because it goes back n forth.
TRW
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Love them but wish the top end was smoother.

As bizzare as it sounds the classic eq with transformer sim and some sat on managed to out do real 560s for me...very very close with the plugin taking the edge.

McQ awesomely powerful. Console EQ has a very large knocking bottom end. Precursor is interesting and retroQ makes the bottom end go deep. If the top end was a little softer on some then they would be close to perfect imo.

-T
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
that is strange. I thought the top end is the strength of these plugins.
At least the plugin analyzer shows an undistorted curve for each
of them! I think the top end of the McQ is great! Maybe the best in this collection.
Which topend is better in your opinion?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yep McQ is great. Fabulous presence eq on guitars. Ability to deaden the top end of a boost withe LPF is great and very useful when eq-inq tracks with bleed on them.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Squad bundle is amazing. Love the sound, but rarely do any mixing anymore - so don't get to use them :(
Old 9th March 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I have found uses for all of the SQuad eq's. McQ is my most used because of the freq flexibility and its ability to cut in the high-mids so pleasantly. I think the Classic is particularly good on kick drums and vocals. The Console is great on drums. The Retro has my favorite HP filter for mixes and ITB masters - it is a little grainy in the high end, but not in an unpleasant way - sometimes it's useful.

I think the high end of the preqursor is wonderfully smooth, btw.

SQuad are the best I have heard for analog-esque boosts. I tend to use DMG Equality for most cuts and tweakier stuff. Between those two, I feel the need for no more digital eq.
TRW
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I just ran some tests, the top end on classiceq can get a bit wild/almost sibilant on some things. Analyser shows some very odd equal amplitude harmonic behaviour at certain gain levels, it appears as if something goes screwy with regards to internal levels of hf playing against the sat algos when boost is up there... seems level and freq dependant.

But yeah I agree they test very well. The transformer model isn't all that transformer like on classiceq but it sounds good. Not low frequency specific and not much 3rd harmonic.

Still they sound really good!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRW ➑️
I just ran some tests, the top end on classiceq can get a bit wild/almost sibilant on some things. Analyser shows some very odd equal amplitude harmonic behaviour at certain gain levels, it appears as if something goes screwy with regards to internal levels of hf playing against the sat algos when boost is up there... seems level and freq dependant.

But yeah I agree they test very well. The transformer model isn't all that transformer like on classiceq but it sounds good. Not low frequency specific and not much 3rd harmonic.

Still they sound really good!
I think most people tend to use the squad eq's without soft-clipping engaged, when you analyze it, the performance is a bit sketchy. Btw, I find real 10XX Neve eq's to bit a bit harsh at times too, I don't really like them to be honest, only on certain things. Also, difference in transformer performance is insane, look at the the frequency & harmonic plot of comparable Carnhill vs Lundahl x-formers for example - it's difficult to generalize.
TRW
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
While I agree, all transformers display frequency specific distortion. I have measured more than I care to count, from carnhill to lundahl etc. I have a crazy little collection!!! Mostly all cores whether steel or combinations of other less saturating materials tend to display the most harmonic content below 1kHz-ish depending upon levels of drive, source impedance etc.

Looking at the squad eq, it seems to display a fixed harmonic pattern that does not change too much with various amplitudes and doesn't seem to change at different frequencies. So although I like it, doesn't match up in my mind.

I'm with you, Neve eqs can be a little on the rough side if really pushed, but it is so source dependant, sometimes they have buttery air.

I think with the sat off the PSP plugs are good, but I love how effective it is as a peak limiter when on, so the sat is a bit of a guilty pleasure!

-T
TRW
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Back to the plugins themselves though, great tools, a lot of complimentary curves and options in the bundle, combine with something like x-eq, the ssl channel strip and perhaps a pultec style plugin and you will not likely need any more eq.

-T
Old 25th June 2011 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
Is the SAT a tape saturation?
πŸ“ Reply