The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Apogee Duet V.S. RME Babyface (Preamps/Converters)
Old 27th April 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by science ➡️
That's a joke, right? You're not seriously using youtube clips to judge the audio quality of something, are you?
Why not? RME is known for having the best framerate of the industry
Old 1st June 2011 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by science ➡️
That's a joke, right? You're not seriously using youtube clips to judge the audio quality of something, are you?
seriously, I don't understand why not. Just as an example, I don't know what they used to record these clips :
YouTube - ‪R.E.M. - ÜBerlin (Official)‬‏
YouTube - ‪Radiohead - Lotus Flower‬‏

But I'm sure you can tell they used pretty good pre's and converters for these recordings. the sound quality of some of the clips on youtube is amazing. clearly enough to say - hey, I want my recordings to sound like this!
Old 15th October 2011

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
in this post:
Shootout Avid Mbox Pro vs Apogee Ensemble vs RME Fireface UFX vs Prism Orpheus

i can hear that the Apogee ensemble for me sounds better in the AD/preamp vs RME UFX.
Ensemble seems to add a sweet foward mid range in the vocals that sounds so good to me , also is a little bit more clearly than UFX. UFX sound a little bit thin. I dont know about babyface but i think is almost the same family converters and pres with the UFX flagship.
It makes me think that Duet 2 maybe will sounds better in vocals than babyface based in this shootout above
Old 15th October 2011 | Show parent

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Bang ➡️
Why not? RME is known for having the best framerate of the industry
according to them they also have the lowest jitter clock
maybe so, but that doesn't mean it's a good clock
Old 15th October 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
You do realize that was a complete joke about videos on youtube, right?

But about your statement... you can ONLY reduce jitter with a stellar clock. I dont
understand what you mean there.
Old 18th January 2012 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
I got an Apogee duet 2 this last summer. I have had to reinstall the drivers up to five times a month 'cause my MBP suddenly doesn't recognize the hardware anymore. There have been a couple of updates since. Each of them claiming to solve the problem, none of them have.

Besides this "little" problem the display broke down on me after four months. I got a brand new duet 2 that I used for two weeks before that display broke down.

Something's not right about these cards.
To it's defense I should say that when it actually works it sounds brilliant.

I was thinking about, after getting a new one on warranty, switching to the babyface. It all looked promising until I saw that the babyface only goes to 60dB gain. That's not enough for me since my primary microphone is a SM7B. :(
Old 18th January 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
owned fire face 400 and 800...i now own duet 2 and exept the annoying fact that it only runs on a mac (fix=made a hackintosh) the duet 2 is smoother and more easy going on the sound then the fire face 400 or 800 both preamp and conversion wise.

+1 to duet 2
Old 24th October 2012
Deleted 26d6446
Duet 2 driver is horrible!!!! I have it.
Old 24th October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have the Duet 2. Haven't had any of the driver issues so many people complain about. Guess I'm one of the lucky ones. No experience with RME stuff, but I love this little thing.
Old 24th October 2012
Deleted 26d6446
Duet 2 sounds good. I don't like how it stacks when u have alot of them together, something in the highs that bother me... I don't have experience with alot of interfaces
Old 24th October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Happy Babyface owner here. I am (unfortunately) a PC owner and so no Duet. However, the Babyface pres are PLENTY of gain for RE20 and sound fine even compared with Focusrite ISA One.

My computer is a 2004 (or 2005 possibly) Dell laptop (Win XP SP3) and I have had zero issues with RME drivers. I even recently installed the RME on an older Dell laptop that I listen to iTunes and watch Youtube videos on, and it works flawlessly there too.

I am going to do some tracking at a friends house in the next few weeks and I am planning to use the Babyface on his Mac (it sounds tons better than his Presonus Firestudio).

For the stability and flexibility alone, the RME wins for me. If I was able to afford a Mac, I may have considered the Duet, but that would have cost me more than my RME and Focusrite and the handful of mics I have collected since I got the bug. Not to mention that I would be limited to 2 ins and 1 headphone and no MIDI (which I use pretty regularly).

I have not directly A-B ed the RME to the Duet with the same sources, but have heard recordings made with both and they are both worth the premium.

For those on the fence, does the lack of expandability (and PC support) justify the difference in $$? Other than that size and other features are pretty similar. OK so RME doesn't have a cute OLED display, but the display it has works great.

I have had only good experience with RME's customer support too. While some responses border on smarmy, they are VERY punctual and thorough.
-e
Old 6th November 2013

🎧 10 years
As a proud 8 core pc owner I would highly recommend the rme babyface, I don't own one but I do own the rme 9652 hdsp the damn thing is Rock Solid for like 3 years now! I have an apogee rosetta 200 adat connected to it for ad da conversion, 200 sounds great. But before the rosetta I had an rme adi 2 hooked up for all conversion and I promise it sounded just as good definitely in the same ballpark, I will never doubt that, I have a apogee mini me as well and always liked the ad conversion of that better then the rme adi 2 but on the da side the rme and apogee rosetta are dead even to me. the rosetta 200 does sound also even better then mini me on ad.WHEW! Go with the babyface because I know the rme drivers are freaking awesome and the mixer interface is the best, I kinda wish I had a babyface man those things seem cool: )!
Old 15th March 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I know this is old thread but….

I had Duet FW for years and I loved it…until it broke up some time ago. Then, I bought a used Duet II and I like it’s sound even more; IMO it’s sounds best that I’ve heard and as good as Tascam UH-7000 which I had for a while (but that’s another story….). I’m still on Yosemite as I’ve read that Duet has some driver issues in El capitan; So, to be able to update to the latest OS, to use some FX while recording, get the best latencies etc. I started to consider other alternative interfaces. After reading several threads here in GS + other forums I decided to buy a used RME Babyface Blue.

Now I’ve been testing it against Duet II for some time and I’m surprised how ”different” it sounds vs Duet. To my ears Babyface has very flat sound soundstage, less width and depth than Duet. I wanted to test preamps / AD and recorded some vocals with both of them and IMO Duet is more open, detailed and somehow smoother. I’m not saying which one is better but to my ears Duet sounds more pleasing. Also when I listened to some of my ”reference songs” and I really preferred Duet’s D/A over Babyface’s.

Another thing is latency - I was pretty sure that the Babyface latency would be better than Duet’s; I didn’t measure these but these are just the latencies what Logic X reports:

44,1 kHz 64 samples Duet 5,8 ms, Babyface 6,1 ms -
44,1 kHz 128 samples Duet 8,7 ms, Babyface 9,0 ms.

Could the measured latency in Babyface be better than what Logic reports?

So now I have a problem; my plan was to re-sell Duet and keep Babyface. I really like the Total Mix and it’s possibilities compared to Maestro 2 but can I live with the sound after using Duet……Anyone else compared these lately? Other thoughts?
Old 4th January 2022 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond ➡️
That's some really pure bullshit you got there.
the FF800 was nothing much, vulgar sounding interface, drivers updated on a weekly basis, wtf?, can they get it right.
I’m about to get me a Babyface but only because i can return it, I’m on the fence to between a Duet 3 and the Babyface because of my previous experience with RME, other than that, on paper, the Babyface is a lot better purchase but in the end stability and sound quality is all that matters.
Old 4th January 2022 | Show parent
Does anyone have the Duet 3 ? I am super interested to know how it sounds to compared to the previous generation.
I’ve looked on Youtube but there are very few sound samples.
Old 4th January 2022
Lives for gear

if you're going to NECRO this thread,
at least talk about the rme babyface pro fs
Old 5th January 2022 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Bought the Duet 3 last week . Much broader defined soundstage than my Apogee One .Working flawlessly no pops cracks no weird behaviour coming out of sleep ect . Intel Mac running Catalina
📝 Reply