The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Similar kick results as a FET 47
Old 10th February 2011

🎧 15 years

Is anyone finding any LDC's in front of a kick that are giving those nice big fat results that one can expect from a good FET 47? I love them and plan to get one soon, but there are other mics on my list first that aren't $5k which I feel will be more versatile. I have a Wunder CM7, but there is something that frightens me about putting that in front of such a monster signal. The FET seems more robust, although that might be a complete misconception. There is something about putting a beautiful tube condenser in front of a high SPL source like a kick drum that scares the shit out of me. Thoughts?
Old 10th February 2011

🎧 15 years

I always have good results with a CAD M179.

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
Old 10th February 2011 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
AT4047
Old 10th February 2011

🎧 15 years
CM47fet

Hi Matt, folks have been getting great results with our CM47fet in front of the Kick.

Cheers, Dave
Advanced Audio Microphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Grondin ➡️
Is anyone finding any LDC's in front of a kick that are giving those nice big fat results that one can expect from a good FET 47? I love them and plan to get one soon, but there are other mics on my list first that aren't $5k which I feel will be more versatile. I have a Wunder CM7, but there is something that frightens me about putting that in front of such a monster signal. The FET seems more robust, although that might be a complete misconception. There is something about putting a beautiful tube condenser in front of a high SPL source like a kick drum that scares the shit out of me. Thoughts?

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshSkweez ➡️
AT4047
thumbsup
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Try an AKG C414... I have a U47Fet and still often use a 414eb..around 18 inches away..

🎧 15 years
The Lawson L47FET is the closest thing I've heard to a real FET 47. The older Soundelux mic (the 195 or whatever it is) is pretty close to, but a bit harder-sounding. The AT 4047 has a similar general character, but nowhere near the action that a real FET47 has going on. The Lawson has the same great low end and the same pronouced midrange as a FET47, but without the cartoony midrange that some other similar mics have.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I place my Neumann M149 or Korby KAT47 in front of my kick all of the time. If I'm getting the mic up really close I will use a Blast Pad between the kick and the mic. A kick can be such a great sound and can deserve a great mic.

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
To me part of the appeal in using a condensor mic on a kick is not to have it close to the drum, but further back in the room, if you need the sound of a close mic add a dynamic (or two) on the drum as well
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I've used the Blue Mouse for kick out. It really needs to be padded heavily if it's close to the resonant head, but I think it would meets the description of what you're looking for. At 1/5 the price of a u47FET, definitely worth a try.

🎧 15 years
The Mouse is definitely brighter and harder-sounding than any FET47 I've ever heard, but it does have a similar midrange clarity and bottom end.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Old 14th February 2011

🎧 15 years
So the million $ question: would you put a CM7 in front of a kick drum and not stress about it?
Old 14th February 2011 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
You could use the wunder fet 47
or just stop being a pussy and use the tools you have, they not exactly made of paper
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Give Gene Lawson a call, and he'll hand-make you his version of a FET47 for $1000.

After that, you may just cross "Vintage FET47" off your list for good.......

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgarges ➡️
Th...but without the cartoony midrange that some other similar mics have.
Best phrase ever.

And yes, the Lawson FET will get you close. 4047 is not bad and used widely in this application.

I'll add Gefell UM70S.

Best of luck.

🎧 10 years
I use Blue 8-ball in front of kick drum.

Sounds great and was only about $100 so don't mind putting it front of kick drums and doing the "I'd like to put it a bit closer but I'm worried I'll damage it" moral argument with myself.
Old 14th February 2011

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyMac ➡️
or just stop being a pussy and use the tools you have, they not exactly made of paper
I'll stop being a pussy if you pay for the repairs.

🎧 10 years
Never needed to use anything other than a CAD M179. Thunderous on toms, snare and kick. Hell, it's also good on overheads, room mics and hi-hat. Solid all-around mic.

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyMac ➡️
And what's with the rolled eyes? I'd like to avoid ****ing up a $6000 microphone and it's not something I've tried therefore I ask people who have tried it what results they've gotten and if anything catastrophic occurred. You're right, they aren't made of paper, they're made of a lot more complicated shit that can get damaged real quickly if you do some stupid shit. If you don't like me asking cautious questions and protecting myself from financial pain, **** off
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
And what's with the rolled eyes? I'd like to avoid ****ing up a $6000 microphone and it's not something I've tried therefore I ask people who have tried it what results they've gotten and if anything catastrophic occurred. You're right, they aren't made of paper, they're made of a lot more complicated shit that can get damaged real quickly if you do some stupid shit. If you don't like me asking cautious questions and protecting myself from financial pain, **** off
Of course you are trying to protect responsibly protect your investment. I used to be overly protective of my LD mics until Tracy Korby reassured me that I could use his mics on essentially anything except a guitarist unplugging or plugging in with high amp volumes. I have never damaged a mic (knock on wood). As I mentioned previously in this thread I use expensive condensor and ribbon on drums all of the time. If you need more reassurance talk to the guys that make the mics-- Korby, Lawson, etc.

🎧 15 years
+1 for the blue mouse! I've used it for this purpose several times and love it. I've never used a FET47 though, so I can't compare.
bee

🎧 15 years
+12 on the at4047 and m179. I really wanna try the Lawon. I've heard sooo many great things about his mics.

🎧 10 years
Sony C500... can handle extreme SPL...japanese 47fet
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Which of the Fet47 alike mics is also hyper-cardioid?

🎧 15 years
Lawson fwy
Bock 195
And at4047 all can give you some of that 47fet kick sound .

🎧 10 years
As a side note, Mr. Grondin, it's a pleasure to see that you're opening a quality studio in New Orleans. That city NEEDS more great studios; it has always had a spectacular PERFORMANCE culture, but never really broke into being a great recording town.

Though, 'tis a shame you're starting up now that I've moved away ;-)

-Eric

🎧 15 years
I may be biased...so my opinion doesn´t count!
dfegad

.....but I recently fooled around with Mojave MA-200´s and MA-201fet´s on drums, cajon and percussion stuff.....hope to get some audio examples and demo videos done for Mojave soon-ish (...sooooo much stuff to do!)

but rest assured....they KILL on BD, FOK, OH or Cajons...really liked the MA-200...(and MA-100 on snare but shhhhh....I didn´t give that away....whoaaa moment, taped it to a 57 by the way, old trick really)

otherwise I really think the AT4047 is also excellent on Kick....couldn´t be bothered to put up a vintage 47fet really....it´s a damn KICK drum!!!

get some great heads, great tuning, great room & a great drummer......and bob´s your uncle!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I'll stop being a pussy if you pay for the repairs.
You guys need to get a pete's place blast pad and stop worrying about these kinds of things

Russell

🎧 15 years
I use my CM7 for FOK all the time.... about
10-18 inches.

I've seen others comments on this board
that they do the same.

It's fantastic!

If you need some reassurance get a hold of Mike
at Wunder... he'll give you good advice.

best,
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Any LDC condenser that can handle the SPL, there I said it. Now go tune your kickdrum and stop worrying about silly stuff.

/J
📝 Reply