The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
ATC S50 - Anyone have any info?
Old 8th February 2011

🎧 10 years
ATC S50 - Anyone have any info?

I recently bought a pair of these for what I think is a steal.

All I can find out is that they were one of the first ATC's produced, and the precursor to the SCM50.

I'd love to find out if anyone knows any more about their history.
Attached Thumbnails
ATC S50 - Anyone have any info?-atc-1.jpg  
Old 8th February 2011

🎧 10 years
Bumpy?
Old 8th February 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Tried asking ATC?
Old 8th February 2011

🎧 10 years
No. Not yet. I thought I'd come here first and see if anyone else had come across them.
Old 13th February 2011

🎧 10 years
One last bumpy :-)
Old 14th February 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Looks like the same drivers at the SCM 50. Upgrade the bass driver to an SL one, recap the power amps / cross overs and they should be great.

From the ATC website:

"By 1978, the company was producing its first speaker systems. The bass-reflex S50 and the infinite baffle S85 establishing the naming tradition of the model number representing the internal volume of the enclosure, in this case 50 and 80 litres respectively. Another key to the ATC, studio-derived philosophy was the crossover arrangement: the S50 and S85 allowing for true active triamping. Through a rotary switch the user could access either the internal passive crossover or an external electronic device."
Old 14th February 2011

🎧 10 years
Thanks for the reply.

That bit from the ATC site is the only info that I can find on the web.

They don't have any power amps with them, but they have a switch on the back to go between passive and tri amped active. You need an active crossover to do this.

Forgive my electronic ignorance but do passive x overs benefit from recapping/servicing?

The upgrade to SL drivers would be nice. Not cheap though I imagine. Probably more than the speakers cost me in the first place!

If anyone has any experience of upgrading to SL drivers I would love to know what kind of improvements you experienced?
Old 15th February 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If the xover contains electrolytics they will benefit from changing to better ones
(polypropylene for ex.) and if its on a pcb replace that with point-to-point wiring.

I don't think it is worth changing the woofers as long as they still work. SLs might be better but I don't think ATC ever made a bad one at all.
πŸ“ Reply