The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Flanger/Phasor what do you like?
Old 7th February 2011
Gear Nut

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Flanger/Phasor what do you like?

Hi
I have a Fullltone Choral/flanger I really dont like that much. I have a MXR Phase 90 I love!

Could you guys please tell me what you think is the best Flanger, and Chorus pedal? Im into classic rock.

Thanks!
Old 7th February 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have an old Vox 1902 flanger that I really love -- all analogue, from around 1980 --- it is a bit of a tone suck tho, wouldn't have it permanently on my pedalboard, but for a big flange guitar (vox, keys, anything you care to run through it!) in the studio it really, really rocks. I believe it's based on the mxr, but I personally prefer the Vox. Also, it's great for finding out just how quickly two brand-new 9V batteries can go flat!

It cam go from subtle shimmery goodness, to absolutely insane psychedelic warblyness

Good luck trying to find one though.....

I would imagine you can prob build something fairly similar (don't think the all the bits and pieces are still in production, but you should find equivalents)

Old 7th February 2011 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I don't own this yet, but it's high on my shopping list.

Gear Guru

10 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
MXR Phase 90 script logo re-issue
Gear Nut

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Does anyone know what flanger/Phasor Jimmy Page used on led zep physical graffiti?
Old 8th February 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The Maestro Phase Shifter is pretty awesome. It has 3 separate speeds that ramp up/down when you switch them, just like a Leslie speaker! However, it has no on/off footswitch. I use a switchable passive effects loop to get around this.

Phase 90 (the regular orange one) is really good.

I like the old Ibanez flanger, I think it's yellow. Haven't used one in a long time.

Last edited by decocco; 8th February 2011 at 01:15 AM.. Reason: writed them werds wrong
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Small Stone!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I generally shy away from modulation effects because they sound 80's.

Where are the dimension D plug-in developers?

Maybe flanger will become the new delay?
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound ➑️
Small Stone!
+1! The only phasor I've ever found that doesn't suck the low end out of a bass signal.
ValhallaDSP

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanrock ➑️
Does anyone know what flanger/Phasor Jimmy Page used on led zep physical graffiti?
Phase 90. So you're set!

Odds are good that the phaser ran straight into the input of a Marshall, as opposed to any effects loop. A distorted phaser will sound different than phased distortion.

Just going from memory, here's the songs I hear the Phase 90 on:

- The Rover (the entire main riff)
- In My Time of Dying (very slow sweep though the whole song, kinda subtle)
- Ten Years Gone (faster vibrato sound, slow sweep on some lead songs)
- Wanton Song (fast vibrato song)

The drums on Kashmir are phased as well, using an Eventide Instant Phaser with envelope modulation used as a control signal.

Most classic rock tends to make use of either phase shift pedals (usually Phase 90, the Maestro Phaser with the colored switches, or the Electro-Harmonix Small Stone) or tape flanging. The Electro-Harmonix Electric Mistress was a common flanger around the end of the 1970's, but it was more commonly heard in chorus applications as opposed to flanging.
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
The two I have and like very much are the Effectrode VibeChorus and the Red Witch Moon Phaser. The former is just syrupy thick fat tube based richness, and the latter is very flexible and sounds great. I'd like to have the Effectrode phaser and the Red Witch Empress Chorus as well.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
MXR Phase 100, script logo (and there really is a big difference between the vintage and the contemporary models)...so many sounds in this guy, from the full on jet-plane woosh to a wee-bit of vibrato-like quiver. Put an overdrive or distortion pedal in front of it for some great vintage hard rock tones.

The opposite of plasticky, tacked-on sounding phase (I'm looking at you, Boss PH-2).
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
My favourite flanger pedal is the MXR M-117 it's grey with four knobs. I have a 70's one which sounds beautiful....very natural..but can be fierce too..no idea what the reissue is like though.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've got a pile of each, but I think my favorite phaser is my Castle Instruments Phaser III, and my favorite flanger (at the moment) is my Loft 440.
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
So you've got a decent Phaser, nothing better than a nice Phase 90 to me. Moving on to Chorus and Flange. If you want both in one box, the only other one I know besides the Fulltone is the TC TCF Chorus/flanger. It's kind of a hi-fi sounding chorus/flanger rather than thick and chewy like the Fulltone. Otherwise you have to go with separate units. For Chorus, I like the CE2 for chewy and the Small Clone and it's copies for bubblier sounds (the Analogman Clone Clone sounds great, it's what Kurt Cobain used. For Flange, the Boss Hi Band is great, the MXR 4 knob is what VH uses (and his reissue is cool, although there's a weird hiccup at the bottom of the flange sweep that I don't really like). The big Kahuna is the Foxrox TZF, but they're nearly unobtanium right now.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Boss PH-1r

I always wanted a more subtle phasing effect. The Boss PH-1r always gets me some nice movement without getting too swoooshy. Lots of others I tried were just too "PHASER!" for my taste.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
There's so many interesting modulation pedals, my favorites are the Korg Mr Multi (looks like a wah pedal, 3 modes + auto or manual) and the Roland Phase V (same series as the CE-1 chorus and the Jet Phaser)
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I like the old Electro-Harmonix boxes the best. Small Stone phase shifter,
and Electric Mistress Deluxe flanger. Not well built, but sounded deadly!
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I just got this:

Mad Professor

It's very sweet and replaces a MXR p 90 AND a voodoo vibe on my gig board.
πŸ“ Reply