Quantcast
Get 10+ 1176's for $995 US!!! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Get 10+ 1176's for $995 US!!!
Old 19th August 2002
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Get 10+ 1176's for $995 US!!!

Hey guys heres a suggestion for adding 10+ 1176, LA2A's or pultecs to your existing setup.
Here is a way of setting up a portable system that you can lug arround and use with ANY recording medium/software application.

1) Buy cheap PC with preferable an LCD screen 15inch or so
2) Get UAD1 card
3) Get the VST simple host application software.
4) Get the aardvark Q10 or simiplar 96khZ interface with ULTRA low latency drivers. (I only suggest aardvark cause these are the ones I have tested and can verify that it works)

The way I have this setup is that the PC runs the VST simple host program - basicially it allows you to assign the plugins to the corresponding ins and outs of the audio card. Using the aardvark card and its ulta low latency mode, I am able to monitor the input of the soundcard and the plugin in realtime. running in 96KhZ mode provides amazing results.
You can bascially now use this box just as you would hardware inserts of the real deals BUT you have your choice of LA2A's, pultecs all the recall and/or automation. (Notmentioning the cost savings)

P.S yes i realise you can just buy the bombfactory equivalents but we are talking about a standalone equivalent that is not tied to any particular environment. Besides the UAD plugins sound much better than the BF ones IMHO.

Email me if you want specifics on how I did this
Old 19th August 2002
Founder

Its funny how latency is LOWER with higher sample rates, I thought higher quality would cause MORE latency but no......

Old 19th August 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Autodocumentation: YAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!
Old 19th August 2002
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Begin Quote

a standalone equivalent that is not tied to any particular environment.

End Quote

And the UAD isn't?!!

It is a cool card though, but suffers from UGLY latency though the PCI bus, as does the TC Powercore.

Latency is a function of "n" samples, so latency halves with every doubling of sample frequency. Of course the DSP POWER required doubles..
Old 20th August 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Well I have been hoping forever that someone would try this card with a TDM system through emagic ESB but since I have logic coming in a couple of weeks I guess i will be the guinipig...

In October AES we finally get to hear their Dreamverb and Neve eq emulation as well as whatever other goodies they have coming...
Old 20th August 2002
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

🎧 15 years
And here I was hoping you were talking about real 1176s...

Guys, the more number-crunching plugins you put your audio through, the worse the effect on your audio. The effect might be cool, but the overall sound goes downhill.
Old 20th August 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by jon
And here I was hoping you were talking about real 1176s...

Guys, the more number-crunching plugins you put your audio through, the worse the effect on your audio. The effect might be cool, but the overall sound goes downhill.

Have you actually used the UAD-1 comps and Pultec?

They break the rules for plugins, sonically. Generally, I would agree with you, but this is likely the exception. They sound very, very good to me.

Regards,
Brian T
Old 20th August 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Erik from bombfactory said he improved the versions coming out for HD. So I am curious if bombfactory will one up the UAD. i think they should be out in a couple of weeks or so, so we should know soon.
Old 21st August 2002
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

🎧 15 years
Brian,

I think better-quality new plug-ins initially sound relatively good because they are an improvement over the older plugins we're used to and tired of. Then they, in turn, get outclassed and obsoleted by the next plug-ins to hit the market.

A producer had the UAD stuff on his system for an R&B track I mixed last month. We spread the tracks out on the console and he was removing the plugins & automation and setting his DAW faders at unity. There were a couple of lead vocal tracks where he liked his pultec and comp settings and wondered if we should keep the plug-ins or not. We ran one track through the J series HPF and channel comp, a 1073, and an LA2A mult. The other track went through the HPF and channel comp, an 1176, the channel EQ with the "E" curve selected, and a CL1B mult. It took one listen to hear the difference. The plugs went away.

This sort of thing happens regularly, and the plug-ins never won -- at least not yet. I wonder if they ever will.
Old 21st August 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Jon,

I've recently had the opposite experiences. I was mixing a record on my Paris rig, using the UAD Pultec, LA2 and the Paris channel EQ along with a Waves Ren de'esser.

The voice was a "problem" female with good pitch, but a very spiky tone on certain notes.

The producer came over specifically to set up and tweak his TubeTech SMC-2A and the EQ. Keep in mind, he had bought and used that comp specifically because he decided that was "it" on this girl's voice. Obviously, that's a very nice comp. I'm a TubeTech fan and owner myself.

So we set up an A/B. He listened blind. He picked the plugs. I agreed that they sounded better on her voice. He was shocked. I was not. Maybe it's just the combo with Paris (which is what I really think) but I have found myself kicking my own butt with the DAW on the same songs I've mixed on a Neve and tape deck. Strange, but true.

Maybe one thing is this. I spent quite some time early in the DAW mixing process, using the high end outboard gear I was used to in order to get sounds, then torquing on the plugins to match as close as possible. Spent quite a while "studying" that.

I learned a great deal about how to get the most out of the plugins, IMO. Hey, there is no "right". There's just whatever gets it done for you.

Regards,
Brian T
Old 21st August 2002
There is only one

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by BrianT
Hey, there is no "right". There's just whatever gets it done for you.
yep... why are we agreeing more and more these days?
Old 22nd August 2002
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

🎧 15 years
Hi Brian,

I have an SMC2B, and IMO it would not be the call for a vocal comp, nor for solving the type of vocal problem you mentioned. My experience is that it is usually not too hard to find the right combo of quality outboard that will do a better job than a plug-in that imitates the real thing.

It's interesting about your Neve vs Paris mixes. Which Neve was it? I mixed quite a few albums in PT and there is no way on God's green earth I could get those mixes to sound as good as those I do on the SSL 9k. Which is why I don't mix in PT anymore. There's definitely a sonic barrier to my ears. Maybe Paris is better; I wouldn't be surprised.

Probably 80% of the mixes I did so far this year, the client or producer had a DAW mix that I'm supposed to beat by a pretty big margin so that he'll be happy. Fortunately, that's been feasible to do. Just my experience so far, YMMV.
Old 23rd August 2002
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Diginerd
It is a cool card though, but suffers from UGLY latency though the PCI bus, as does the TC Powercore.
Brian T and other UAD card users -- have you found the latency to be a problem? Are there workarounds?

Thanks
Old 24th August 2002
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
dfegad BF Pultec

dfegad BF 1176

dfegad BF La-2a*

*BF La-2a should be called "looks like an La-2a but doesn't sound good".
Old 24th August 2002
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
dfegad BF Pultec

dfegad BF 1176

dfegad BF La-2a*

*BF La-2a should be called "looks like an La-2a but doesn't sound good".
Old 24th August 2002
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

🎧 15 years
Yeah, the BF LA2A just veils the sound to me.

The BF 1176 is more fun with lots of pump...tho pretty dark, boxy & closed-sounding, not like my real 1176s at all.
Old 29th August 2002
IMHO the BF are all looks. I have never got what I was looking for out of them. I run LE if it matters.
I have been way happier since I got the McDSP stuff and learned how to use it (the trick).
yuktyy
Old 17th August 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
This is THE most classic gearslutz post ever!!
Old 17th August 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
By "Classic" do you mean old?
Old 18th August 2009 | Show parent
Jai guru deva om

🎧 15 years
This thread is vintage now.

War

🎧 15 years
A 7 year old thread!

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
yeh i just don't like those new versions of the BF plug ins... just missing that something special that the earlier versions had i guess..
πŸ“ Reply