Genelec 1031A speakers, advice please. - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Genelec 1031A speakers, advice please.
Old 13th January 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Genelec 1031A speakers, advice please.

Hi,
IM currently using the genelec 1029a and have the opportunity to buy some genelec 1031A speakers.
Ive done a search on them here and there is a tendency to not like them.
But, seeing as though Ive done some great mixes on my 1029A and am used to them and know them Im thinking I should just go for it.
The reason Im upgreading is to read the low end a bit better and also at high volumes the 1029A seem to sound compressed, Im just guessing that the 1031A will sound more open and full range.

Is anyone using the 1031A and what do you think of them??Specifically the 1031A please, I know there are lots of speakers and I dont want to start a discussion on other speakers.

Any advice on perhapse just adding a sub to my 1029A and not getting the 1031A??

I would appreciate any advice.
thanks guys
Chymer
Old 13th January 2006

🎧 15 years
There does seem to be a tendancy to trash Genelec here, but I have been using 1031A's for about 10 years now and I find them to be solid, dependable, accurate and non-fatigueing (everything the detractors say they are not).
I do feel that they are very sensitive to how they are mounted and located in a room and have mine on pedestals just an inch off the back of my meter bridge on the console. I also use a sub just to fill in a little of the deep bottom.
As we all know, speakers are a very personal thing, so you better get somewhere you can hear them before deciding (although since you know the 1029's you already have a pretty good idea of what to expect). I drove from the central Cal coast to Phoenix to first hear them ( I was going to buy some other brand and my dealer said I should check out this new speaker that they just got in so after checking my mixes on them I brought a pair home). I found that they work well for me.
To address the 1029 vs 1031 comparison I have compared them side by side and did find the 1029 to sound somewhat constricted compared to the slightly deeper and more effortless reproduction of the 1031's. Good luck.
Old 13th January 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Sutton
.... I also use a sub just to fill in a little of the deep bottom...

hey Rick, wondering where you cross your sub over at, how low?

We have 1031a's and ns10's and I'm coming around as I realize the genelecs are actually very accurate.

I believe our room and the positioning has led me to be a basher of them but as I said I'm coming around.

take care
Old 13th January 2006
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Personally I find this group to be heavily biased toward Dynaudio,. which DO make nice monitors but I find them overpriced and under speced for the money.
For example you will see the BM6a recommended all the time.
Great if you don't need a low end.

Do yourself a favor and listen to other monitors including Genelec, Event and JBL.

I went with ASP8's, my partner loves JBL and both are fine as are Genelec and Tannoy.
They are all different however.

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zarembo
hey Rick, wondering where you cross your sub over at, how low?
I've changed it several times, and currently have the frequency raised pretty high to around 100 hz. The one thing that I do that isn't "textbook" is run the Genelecs full range and use the sub at as low a volume as possible. I really don't like the Genelecs when any of the bottom is crossed over to another speaker as it always feels disconnected to me. So I actually do it the "unapproved" way, just using the sub to give a little extra push on the bottom. My sub is a Tannoy powered 15" that sits notched into the 12" raised floor of the CR directly centered between the Genelecs with the drivers all in the same plane.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
cool, thanks for the info on how you like to run your sub.

we're in the process of loading underneath our CR floor with insulation to deaden it and moving the console away from the wall a little bit more.

after that we want to add a sub because the low end in our room is the trickiest part for sure.

keep bumpin'!
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I've mixed on my Genelecs 1031A for a couple of years now and I love them. I'm sure there are more high end monitors out there, but these work great for me and translate pretty well outside.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks for the reply.
I will be hooking the 1031A up over the weekend beside my 1029A in my control room so I guess I'll see how it goes.
I'll be running them with NS-10 and Auratone so i'm hoping Im covered.

I think its funny how Genelecs arent praise more here beause they are great speakers when you know them, Ive used the 1029a for about 6 years now and love them but I cant read the bottom end now, didnt notice it before.
Im guessing the 1031A poo on the Mackie HR824? Dont know but I have A/B them with my 1029A and the genies sounded more open to me, the mackies sounded dull but Ive heard genelec have a "hyped" sound, anyway my mixes dont surprise me when I take them elsewhere so whatever I guess.
Chymer
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chymer
Thanks for the reply.
I will be hooking the 1031A up over the weekend beside my 1029A in my control room so I guess I'll see how it goes.
I'll be running them with NS-10 and Auratone so i'm hoping Im covered.

I think its funny how Genelecs arent praise more here beause they are great speakers when you know them, Ive used the 1029a for about 6 years now and love them but I cant read the bottom end now, didnt notice it before.
Im guessing the 1031A poo on the Mackie HR824? Dont know but I have A/B them with my 1029A and the genies sounded more open to me, the mackies sounded dull but Ive heard genelec have a "hyped" sound, anyway my mixes dont surprise me when I take them elsewhere so whatever I guess.
Chymer

look out for the cheap PMC DB1S active ones - cost almost same, maybe bit more than new genelec 1031 and sound way more accurate, since heard them I'm thinking about to ditch my ADAM P11 for them (had 1031 before) which were a step upward in my room already.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Im guessing the 1031A poo on the Mackie HR824? Dont know but I have A/B them with my 1029A and the genies sounded more open to me, the mackies sounded dull
I think think any monitor is good once you get to know them. I use the Mackie HR824 and I have to admit, they are a little dull. But I listen to everything though them and now I know the sound of that speaker. My mixes always translate well and that is the important thing.
Old 13th January 2006
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Hi,
IM currently using the genelec 1029a and have the opportunity to buy some genelec 1031A speakers.
Ive done a search on them here and there is a tendency to not like them.
But, seeing as though Ive done some great mixes on my 1029A and am used to them and know them Im thinking I should just go for it.
The reason Im upgreading is to read the low end a bit better and also at high volumes the 1029A seem to sound compressed, Im just guessing that the 1031A will sound more open and full range.

Is anyone using the 1031A and what do you think of them??Specifically the 1031A please, I know there are lots of speakers and I dont want to start a discussion on other speakers.

Any advice on perhapse just adding a sub to my 1029A and not getting the 1031A??

I would appreciate any advice.
thanks guys
Chymer
I have used the 1032's for the last eight years I originally wanted the 1031's but when i had the two pairs lined up together (1032's no sub vs 1031's with sub) it was no contest .I use them every day for mastering no fatige whatsoever.
Fat Larry
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I have used the 1032's for the last eight years I originally wanted the 1031's but when i had the two pairs lined up together (1032's no sub vs 1031's with sub) it was no contest .I use them every day for mastering no fatige whatsoever.
Well the 1032 are not an option but Im really happy with my 1029a apart from the low end so I think Ill love the 1031A.
If they dont make a significant difference then Ill keep the 1029A untill I can afford something that does.

Chymer
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Be sure to take a listen to the new line. I've heard good things...I own both 1031s and 1032s and have worked on both for years in a wild variety of environments (location work). They have proven to be very revealing in terms of imaging and instrument balance. Once you get used to their particular presentation (like any speaker) it is easy to make balanced mixes tonally. They are not very forgiving which I like - makes me make better records. The 1031s in particular have performed well in some really horrible acoustic environments which has saved my a** many a time.

Best,
Silas
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
what about the 80 series?

i find this thread very interesting as i am currently looking very hard at the genelec 8040a.

it is indeed the case that a lot of people on interweb forums give out about genelecs, but in fairness, they are a standard in many studios and have been at it since '78 so i figure you cant go too far wrong with them. just gotta get to know em, like any decent speaker system, all of which have their own character.

for the price, €1500 here in ireland (albeit from online retailers), the 8040 seem to give a lot of bang for the bucks when compared to offerings from the likes of adam which i was lusting after til very recently.

i need a pair of monitors that are portable and robust for location recording (mainly various shades of rock through roll) and that are also trustworthy. the 8000 series seem to deliver in all these areas and would also likely make a good first pair of decent nearfields for my fledgling setup.

am i on the right track with the 8040s?

aanybody have any experience of them?

much appreciated,

richie.
Old 14th January 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hi,
Back to my topic of the 1031A.
Ive hooked them up and I have a few questions for you guys who know them.

1. What do you have the level set at on the back. I ask this because when I turned them on there was an unacceptable level of hiss coming from the speakers and the level of the amp was set to +4. I then turned it down to -6 and the hiss dropped to an acceptable level so everything was cool, but is this normal???

2. I've noticed a difference at first between the 1029A and the 1031A, at first it was like night and day, but the more I listen I'm thinking that the 1031A are probably brighter and have more low end. The 1029A sound a little narrow sounding, but Im worried the 1031A are too bright maybe so Im thinking maybe the 1029a with a sub could be the go, but I do love the 1031A, they sound a lot fuller compared to the 1029A and thats what I want, any comments on this from 1031A users.

Im going to mix a song on them tomorrow and see how it goes, I have them for a week to decide so Im pretty lucky.

Cheers
Chymer

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Hi,
Back to my topic of the 1031A.
Ive hooked them up and I have a few questions for you guys who know them.

1. What do you have the level set at on the back. I ask this because when I turned them on there was an unacceptable level of hiss coming from the speakers and the level of the amp was set to +4. I then turned it down to -6 and the hiss dropped to an acceptable level so everything was cool, but is this normal???

2. I've noticed a difference at first between the 1029A and the 1031A, at first it was like night and day, but the more I listen I'm thinking that the 1031A are probably brighter and have more low end. The 1029A sound a little narrow sounding, but Im worried the 1031A are too bright maybe so Im thinking maybe the 1029a with a sub could be the go, but I do love the 1031A, they sound a lot fuller compared to the 1029A and thats what I want, any comments on this from 1031A users.

Im going to mix a song on them tomorrow and see how it goes, I have them for a week to decide so Im pretty lucky.

Cheers
Chymer
I don't have them in front of me now but I think the gain is at "0". Is the hiss there with nothing plugged into the inputs? Mine are really dead quiet.
When I first started using them I had the tweeters down 4dB but I was mixing too bright so soon went to -2dB. As my ears have gotten older (it will happen to you if you stay in the business long enough) I have gone to "0" on the tweeters.
Really, the answer is to try mixing with different settings over a month or so and you'll find the right combination for you.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have also 1031A. Mine are -2 on tweeter and flat on the rest. The hiss is not normal thing. Mine are also very quiet. I suggest you try the -2 or even -4 on the tweeter, it depends all on your room acoustics. I just got the huge Behringer Truth subwoofer to test with my Genelecs and it's great. Don't think if buying the 1031A you won't need it. It's a big difference. 1031A are not so deep or full of bass, they are deeper than the ones you have already but still not enough, except if you mount them into the wall.

...my 2 cents.

Purusha
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Sutton
There does seem to be a tendancy to trash Genelec here, but I have been using 1031A's for about 10 years now and I find them to be solid, dependable, accurate and non-fatigueing (everything the detractors say they are not).

That about sums it up. They don't suck by any means, and the number of records that have been mixed on them is quite insane. If you can learn how they react, you can mix anything.

I personally have never liked them though. It's not just stuff I was working on, listening to records I liked always sounded funny on them. There's something about them...never could really place it though.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Genelec speakers are very flat free field response of a 1031 is about 50 - 20 K +/- 2dB.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hi,

I love 1029 with genelec matching sub.

I don't use their crossover and do my own sub feed from the console. This allows each speaker to be solo'd which is useful for surround work.

I had 1031 and really did not like them. At least in my room....

They seem to be much more choosy about the room acoustic, i guess 'cause they got more power.

I have mixed features on 1029's and they translate into the dubbing theatre fine. All the music mixing seems to work everywhere else too.

The newer Genelecs are ok but if I was going to upgrade it would be ATC or B&W none of which is cheap!
πŸ“ Reply