The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Autotune Bass Guitar?
Old 11th January 2006
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Autotune Bass Guitar?

Just seeing if anyone has done this and what type of results to expect. I have a band in that just recorded a song and the bass track has a few notes that are a little iffy. The bass player was doing the band a favor and was only available for that one day so punching the spots is not really an option and the few spots are close enough that we didn't notice the slight tuning problem until the guitars were tracked.

Honestly if autotuning bass guitar is something that works well this would make my life alot easier not only for this project but about a hundred others were the kid with his $150 bass is playing in drop C when the bass is setup in E. I have Autotune 4 and so far i have only used it for vocals.
Old 11th January 2006
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Why don't you just try it and let us know how it went?
Old 11th January 2006 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
there is an autotune bass specific setting (and TDM plug-in) to cope with your request!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yeah I have used this with great success! Use the presest bass instrument and tweak from there. It recently saved the day for me!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
*** just make sure you bypass it during any sildes or note bends on the bass (if there are any). Autotunes brain goes whacky trying to track a slide and it usually warbles it in a bad way. keep that in mind and.... Shift Away!

If it is a steady (just as an example) 20 cents sharp or flat there are other global pitching options in pro tools that may work better. If the intonation is out in certain areas more than others, then the Autotune Bass is the best bet....

🎧 15 years
definitely don't use it in AUTO mode.....
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
If the bass is out of tune then use the graphical mode and tune it. But if the bass played a wrong note then I would suggest using a pitch shifter.
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K
*** just make sure you bypass it during any sildes or note bends on the bass (if there are any). Autotunes brain goes whacky trying to track a slide and it usually warbles it in a bad way. keep that in mind and.... Shift Away!

If it is a steady (just as an example) 20 cents sharp or flat there are other global pitching options in pro tools that may work better. If the intonation is out in certain areas more than others, then the Autotune Bass is the best bet....
YES what he said

BUT BUT BUT BUT

It messes with the timeing SOMETHING ROTTEN!

So - you MUST use Voc Align plug in afterwards to plant the bass BACK IN THE EXACT SAME TIME SPACE / 'pocket" it was in before you monkeyed around with it.. (if you dont have this I recomend a 60 sample 'nudge forward' as a ROUGH average to get it close - but this is NOT IDEAL as Auto Tune has a VARIABLE latency - depending on how hard it is working)

Do all the above - and you can save a poor necked. poorly intonated. poorly tuned instrument totally RUINING a track.

OF COURCE - the best thing to do is sort out the neck, intonation & tuning before tracking -

But if you are PRESENTED with already f***ked sound files & no opportunity to re-track - this can save your ass big time..

Watch out for the SLIDES!!!!!

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolskid
definitely don't use it in AUTO mode.....
I must have got really lucky. I just picked the key the scale and chose the bass instrument preset and printed it to a fresh track and that was that. I haven't noticed any odd crap yet. But it worked like a charm in auoto mode.
Lives for gear

🎧 20 years
pssssssssssssssssssssst superburtm don't say that. let the others fiddle around with AT in graphical while we 2 mix 4 songs in the same time

Jo
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by studjo
pssssssssssssssssssssst superburtm don't say that. let the others fiddle around with AT in graphical while we 2 mix 4 songs in the same time

Jo

hehehe

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by superburtm
I must have got really lucky.

you certainly did

hehehe

only yanking yer chain mate!!

sometimes it works, but its waaaay more reliable just to tune the odd notes that are out!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolskid
you certainly did

hehehe

only yanking yer chain mate!!

sometimes it works, but its waaaay more reliable just to tune the odd notes that are out!!!

heh

I do believe that my luck had to with the particular performance which I tuned. It was simple rock bass that was played with a pick. No slides are fancy pants stuff. It worked great.
member no 666

🎧 20 years
Why don't you just leave it alone and let the song have a little 'rock and roll' attitude... I am soooooooo tired of hearing this lifeless perfect crap on the radio. It's just boring.

rant Ya know a little 'outta tune' and a little 'outta time' can kinda provide a bit of swagger that rock and roll and jazz used to have... there's hardly any swagger left in rock and roll... why do you think "JET" sold so well... it sure as shit ain't because they're good... it's because their shit felt like actual rock and roll.

/rant

Peace.

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher
Why don't you just leave it alone and let the song have a little 'rock and roll' attitude... I am soooooooo tired of hearing this lifeless perfect crap on the radio. It's just boring.

rant Ya know a little 'outta tune' and a little 'outta time' can kinda provide a bit of swagger that rock and roll and jazz used to have... there's hardly any swagger left in rock and roll... why do you think "JET" sold so well... it sure as shit ain't because they're good... it's because their shit felt like actual rock and roll.

/rant

Peace.

I'm seconding that rant!!!
Old 11th January 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DP40oz
the bass track has a few notes that are a little iffy. The bass player was doing the band a favor...
Wait. Was he doing you a favor or not?

I hate to sound like an old schoolmarm, but finding guitar tuning problems after the fact is a pretty easy thing to avoid.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

/rant

Peace.

I hear ya but in this case I don't think an out of tune bass guitar is good for this particular song.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yeah, I've autotuned a bass when the intonation was a little off. I did auto and it sounded good. If it's just a few notes you can autotune that part and print it. It works on any single note instrument really.

On kind of a side note, what does the vocal curve on a really flawless vocal take look like? I.e. how close to the note line is it? As soon as I get some time, I'm going to go get some accapella music from the library and look at it with autotune for reference.

And along the lines of vocals (sorry to hijack this thread)-- has anybody tried automatic with the 19 tone scale? I did this and it seemed like it was automatically tuning the vocals pretty naturally, without the autotune "burps".
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
I must have got really lucky. I just picked the key the scale and chose the bass instrument preset and printed it to a fresh track and that was that. I haven't noticed any odd crap yet. But it worked like a charm in auoto mode.
I am surprised the latency did not bother you.... but hey, I did it once like that (without compensating for the delay), and the producer liked how it "put it more in the pocket" so who knows!
Founder

Quote:

/rant

Peace.
Some nasty sharp bass - can DESTROY a lot of good, on pitch layered gtr work..

I guess it is genre specific too..

70's retro stuff almost SUITS slightly wacky bass that is 'edgy' pitchwise..

But other genre's like Auto Tuned to all hell corporate emo / punk pop and would wager, some metal - will just sound 'sick' / wrong / grim with bass tuning discrepancies.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
why do you think "JET" sold so well... it sure as shit ain't because they're good... it's because their shit felt like actual rock and roll.

/rant

Peace.
Although it does 'feel like actual rock and roll' -- ProTool'd to death, actually...

It's not the arrow, it's the Indian.

JP
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules
YES what he said

BUT BUT BUT BUT

It messes with the timeing SOMETHING ROTTEN!

So - you MUST use Voc Align plug in afterwards to plant the bass BACK IN THE EXACT SAME TIME SPACE / 'pocket" it was in before you monkeyed around with it.. (if you dont have this I recomend a 60 sample 'nudge forward' as a ROUGH average to get it close - but this is NOT IDEAL as Auto Tune has a VARIABLE latency - depending on how hard it is working)
Wow! We all use PDC these days
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Thanks for the reply guys, i'm using Cubase SX3 so i don't think the latency should be an issue. I'm going to try it later today. For me this would be a great help. Dealing with alot of teenage bands i find tuning to be be one the most annoying problems mostly due to intonation.
Old 11th January 2006
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
If it's really just a few notes that sound out -- I can imagine reasons it might be better to just fix those notes one at a time. OTOH, you could run AT and see how it does.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by studjo

Jo

I'm thinking that -- in addition to the condition of the original track -- a lot depends on how many artifacts and other problems you're willing to put up with.

heh
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've had to perform some tuning on improvised upright bass parts.

I too concur with Fletcher's sentiments.
Old 12th January 2006 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Tuning

One of the reasons I like the Antares ATR-1 - recording a 2nd "tuned" track in the raw mix.

Anyway, their plugin works really well, watch for the slides, and check the timing when you're done. Good luck!

-Dave
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
My system shows no latency when I use auto tune. I checked that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K
I am surprised the latency did not bother you.... but hey, I did it once like that (without compensating for the delay), and the producer liked how it "put it more in the pocket" so who knows!
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DP40oz
Thanks for the reply guys, i'm using Cubase SX3 so i don't think the latency should be an issue.
Again, unless I am missing something Auto Tune causes a VARIABLE latency, when it is working harder, it is more latent. I very much doubt any DAW's built in plug in delay compensation will 'fix' that bag of rats....

It's very BAD 'micro timing' voodoo tutt

VocAlign is the only cure IMHO..

Founder

Quote:
My system shows no latency when I use auto tune. I checked that.
Have you looked at the original waveform side by side with the tuned waveform?

You need to do that to be sure..
πŸ“ Reply