Old 10th December 2010
PDC
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Ditto. Bumpety bump bump.
Old 10th December 2010 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Got a stereopair of them... great mics indeed. Surprisingly warm and accurate sounding... I prefer these over 414's....

Simo
Old 11th December 2010 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I have found it to have no character,but still a very useable mic and I am using it as a room/3 foot out in front of the kick drum mic and have not tried it in the kick,but it's so small and just keeps out of the way of everything,that is the real plus of this mic.

no drama
Old 13th December 2010 | Show parent
PDC
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by no drama ➡️
I have found it to have no character,but still a very useable mic and I am using it as a room/3 foot out in front of the kick drum mic and have not tried it in the kick,but it's so small and just keeps out of the way of everything,that is the real plus of this mic.

no drama
How is the mount?
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I dont't think its the best one.. somehow a bit strange design to me but it does the job.

Simo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDC ➡️
How is the mount?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
brilliant mics i use them all the time as my main overheads.

the mic clip is good but could have a sturdier connection but i do like it! great for fine tweaking
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I like the sound of the 4400a for what it is (2 back to back SE 2200 capsules) and what it is aiming for (AKG 414 style all rounder).

I got some comparison sound samples of a 4400 vs. AKG 414 on acoustic guitar from a kind recording engineer, as I liked the functionality and looks of the SE mic (actually hoping for an inexpensive 414 :-). He sent me a couple of various strummed and fingerpicked parts. If he lets me forward them, I will PM the samples.

The 4400 has a nice absolutely usable sound for this application imo, but it is less rounded and full in the bass and low mids than the 414, which would possibly limit it in some other uses... It has less weight to the sound, but I didn't find it unpleasantly top heavy, just less balanced than the AKG on strummed parts. I really liked it on fingerpicked parts though, and it would probably be cool on a dreadnought or some other overly bassy instrument.

If anyone has some vocal samples with the 4400, I'm still looking for a good LDC for male vocals in the sub $1000 range, please post them or send me some, thank you very much.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Save a little more clout and get the Gemini II.
Old 25th January 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I just tried these today on grand piano and was really impressed. I always use Avenson sd omni condensers as I never liked the slowness of ld condensers and the proximity effect of cardioids. I´ve tried 414´s once and although I didn´t like that particular grand and wasn´t the engineer on that session (just player) they worked reasonably well.
On my grand however it´s a close call. The Avensons sound a bit more refined though. More room, detail and somehow it seems that the stereo field is wider. More of classical sound if you will. Rich and with tons of vibe. The SE 4400a´s however, have that mid-boost thing going on and the ability to "cut the crap" and just throw that piano out there. think dynamic mic vs. condenser. The attack is just more upfront as well. Dryer. less room.
´m sure I prefer the Se´s when it comes to full mixes where the piano has to cut through. Basically the typical place where you would use a c414.
I don´t know how they compare to the 414´s but the fact that they work that well on one of the most difficult instruments to record: Piano, speaks volumes.
I got these from a friend who seemed to have no good use for them. I really didn´t have high expectations but they´re keepers for sure!
📝 Reply