The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Maudio keystation 88es - Instrument works only from C3 upwards?
Old 4th November 2010

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Maudio keystation 88es - Instrument works only from C3 upwards?

Hey guys,

Sorry if this is in the wrong space - I figured someone must have a M-audio keystation 88ES and be able to put me in the right direction! I'm running 10.6.4 snow leopard 32bit.

My problem is this:

From C3 upwards the keyboards works no problems - in protools, logic, garageband etc
Below C3 does not work at all - I can't seem to assign it to anything.

I want to use one instrument for the whole length of the keyboard but i can only get it to use half. I feel this is probably due to the fact that the keyboard is wanting to assign the other half to another instrument (can't get that to work either). Please, please, please, anyone know how to correct this. Is it in the software or the keyboard?

or is it broken?
Old 4th November 2010
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
I had the Keystation Pro 88, and it did something like that to me....can't remember exactly what it was, it's been a couple years since I've sold it. I do know it was some split keyboard thing that got turned on & I magically figured out the correct way to turn it on without trying.

Dunno how the keystation 88 works, but I'd start by recording the midi out omni just to see if it's not sending that lower part of the keyboard out to a different midi channel. Or dig in the book for it for a split keyboard setting & what it takes to turn it off...might be some sysx stuff that got sent to it from a downloaded midi file...

todd
Old 4th November 2010 | Show parent

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Again, not specific to the Keystation, and it's a long shot...

Keyboards generally have the contact pads built onto circuitboards, with ribbon cables taking the note on/off info to the processor board. Usually there are 2 or 3 separate boards and ribbons, carrying about 3 octaves each.

Now I've only seen this once, as the IDC connectors are hard to dislodge, but if the unit has been dropped or vibrated in transit, these ribbons can work their way loose, and you'll lose a few octaves til you plug it back in again.
This should be immediately accessible if you remove the bottom panel.

IMO, it's much more likely to be a split/layer problem, but you never know.

HTH
AV
Old 4th November 2010 | Show parent

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Thanks for the replies guys!

Aaardvaaark! after removing 40+ screws (i am so going out to buy a magnetized screw driver lol). You were right!

The ribbon was really loose - it came off effortlessly when i opened that side. Might have to put some glue there to stop it wanting to do it when i put it all back together again.

Success!

THANKYOU SO MUCH!
๐Ÿ“ Reply