Quantcast
Joly modded NT1a vs JJ modded v67 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Joly modded NT1a vs JJ modded v67
Old 5th September 2010
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Joly modded NT1a vs JJ modded v67

I want a u87 but can't afford one. These two products seem to bring me close. But which one?
Old 5th September 2010
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I posted clips of both in the "Mic for a Storyteller" thread recently - "both" meaning the JJ Audio modded V67g with the stock capsule and Jensen transformer upgrade, and the Joly K47h capsule on a modded sdc body. It's the same capsule that goes in the modded NT1a, with only minor differences in sound between the modded NT1a and the K47h capsule on the sdc body.

To my ears, the K47h capsule favors the midrange a little more than the V67g. I also like the S's better on the V67g, perhaps because of the Jensen transformer.
Old 5th September 2010 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle duncan ➡️
the Joly K47h capsule on a modded sdc body. It's the same capsule that goes in the modded NT1a, with only minor differences in sound between the modded NT1a and the K47h capsule on the sdc body.
I have had both MJ mics - the MJE-K47H/MJE603 SDC combo and the MJ modded NT1a on a variety of sources - Drum OH, Ac Gtr, E Gtr, Vox - and I can tell you that although they share the same capsule there is a BIG difference in the sound of those two mics. I suspect mostly due to the headbasket, but also the electronics. At least to me they are quite different, and my personal preference if I could have ONLY ONE, would be the MJE-K47H. It's such a huge sounding mic. Now,,,,,,,,,I'd love a modded NT1a also, but there's only so much money in the world.... heh heh Soon though, very soon. But #1 up for me is the MJE-K47H and the MJE 1080. Getting multiples of those next week!!!

No comment on the JJ. Haven't had the opportunity to hear them other than online clips.
Old 5th September 2010
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CassidyGT ➡️
I want a u87 but can't afford one. These two products seem to bring me close. But which one?
Go to the respective websites (here and here) and listen to these mod'd mics compared to a U 87.

Now putting aside subjective differences for a moment, there are a couple of objective differences between the mics that may be meaningful to you - first, the NT1A circuit has the lowest noise floor of any affordable LDC microphone: 5dB SPL. The near absence of self-noise makes source material being recorded jump out with extra clarity. Second, the v67 has a cylindrical headbasket with a constant grille-to-diaphragm radius that creates narrow band standing wave coloration while the mod'd NT1 has an angled / tapered headbasket like a U 87 to reduce internal reflections and coloration.

Perhaps these are just some of the reasons 53% of 339 voters chose the mod'd NT1A thinking it was the U 87 in this test and why this upgrade has become the fasting-selling OktavaMod product of the past five years.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Joly ➡️
Perhaps these are just some of the reasons 53% of 339 voters chose the mod'd NT1A thinking it was the U 87 in this test and why this upgrade has become the fasting-selling OktavaMod product of the past five years.
hehhehheh

That's because they haven't heard the MJE-K47H or 1050 yet.

MJ - you survive Earl??
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Earl was a wimpy-ass huricane with a lisp - not really a survival challenge
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Bummer. I know you were excited about battening down the hatches....
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill ➡️
On the plus side, all the mics are dry!
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
And the whole batten industry is on the verge of collapse.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Michael,

How long before you have an MJE-K47H capsule to fit the MK-012?

Thanks,
Aaron
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
That's where the SM57 excels over other mics, driving in nails if you don't have a hammer handy. heh
Old 6th September 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachingking ➡️
Michael,

How long before you have an MJE-K47H capsule to fit the MK-012?

Thanks,
Aaron
Longer than most folks want to wait - late Fall '10. Here's the story - my vendor has been overloaded with work from big clients and has to fit my fairly low-volume requests into their slow periods (which are increasingly rare).

While I will have an MJE-K47H capsule for the '012 body eventually, the quickest way to experience the K47H is to buy a Nady CM-90 ($49) and send it to me for my Premium Electronics modification ($89) and buy the K47H. That's an additional $138 investment you'd have to make - but a K47H and upgraded SDC body are still way under $500 for a mic that holds its head high against a U 47, U 67 and U 87.

Where else are you going to get that kind of value?
Old 6th September 2010 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Longer than most folks want to wait - late Fall '10. Here's the story - my vendor has been overloaded with work from big clients and has to fit my fairly low-volume requests into their slow periods (which are increasingly rare).

While I will have an MJE-K47H capsule for the '012 body eventually, the quickest way to experience the K47H is to buy a Nady CM-90 ($49) and send it to me for my Premium Electronics modification ($89) and buy the K47H. That's an additional $138 investment you'd have to make - but a K47H and upgraded SDC body are still way under $500 for a mic that holds its head high against a U 47, U 67 and U 87.

Where else are you going to get that kind of value?
I'm also concerned about the "sound" of it. I may be completely blown out of the water, but I might also be disapointed compared to the current option. It sounds great to me as is, and although I have a pair of 012's and would love K47H's for them, I'm very happy with how they sound on the CM-90 bodies..... Just sayin'. When I find something that I LIKE, I buy THAT mic if possible instead of waiting for something "better".
Old 7th September 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I think you have to make your decision based on what you're going for in the first place.

There's more to a U87 than just the frequency response.

The same can definitely be said for the Oktava MK319 for example.

So just for a moment let's touch on a mic and what it "sounds," like.

To figure out a mic's "sound," we have to ask a few questions.

What about the action of the mic itself? When you lay into it?

When you put it on a loud source? Is the sound of a mic like the U87 just a graph?

Something you can approximate like Antares Mic Modeler?

Just a magic combination of frequency response, preamp selection and mic placement?

I tend to feel its more than that.

The combination of Neumann capsule (KK87 then K67 later on) FET - transformer in the U87 does make for a very unique sound.

Just food for thought

Either way you have some pretty good options in front of you. In the end its about what gives you the results you want so that you can make the best recordings possible that your budget allows.thumbsup

Peace
Illumination
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
hehhehheh

That's because they haven't heard the MJE-K47H or 1050 yet.

MJ - you survive Earl??

I have Michael's NT1a mod--excellent-sounding mic, but I haven't given it a serious application yet.

I was under the impression that his NT1a mod sounded very similar to the MJE-K47H. Is that not true?
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxon-of-a-son ➡️
I was under the impression that his NT1a mod sounded very similar to the MJE-K47H. Is that not true?
One man's "very similar" is another man's grand canyon. This is a business where very dedicated individuals take great pride in parsing minutely fine lines with passion.

For me, they sound different. I like both, but I cannot say they sound the same just because they have the same capsule. Like I said above, if I could have only ONE it would be the MJE-K47H with the modded 603 body. I think that mic is exceptional. It's very different than an 87 - to me. The NT1a sounds closer to an 87 - to me. I've got an 87. And this week I will have a pair of MJE-K47H's. heh

Like the guy says....YMMV.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I posted a new snippet comparing the two mics on a female voice. It's in this thread, post #140:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-e...ml#post5761985

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxon-of-a-son ➡️
I have Michael's NT1a mod--excellent-sounding mic, but I haven't given it a serious application yet.

According to Dr Bill, who orchestrated a big Joly mic shootout, the MJE-K47H does sound virtually identical to the modded NT1a - but better. Perhaps he'll show up and clarify?
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle duncan ➡️
According to Dr Bill, who orchestrated a big Joly mic shootout, the MJE-K47H does sound virtually identical to the modded NT1a - but better. Perhaps he'll show up and clarify?
See below....

Quote:
One man's "very similar" is another man's grand canyon.

For me, they sound different.
For full details, see above, or my other posts on this. They definately sound different, although I will admit, they come from the same family.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
....For full details, see above, or my other posts on this. They definately sound different, although I will admit, they come from the same family.
Well... I was half right.

Quote:
... my personal preference if I could have ONLY ONE, would be the MJE-K47H. It's such a huge sounding mic.
Old 15th September 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Just an aside, one thing that's awfully nice about the U87 and the JJ Audio Greyhound (the modded V67G) is that you can still get some really nice present low end, without being in the usual 6 inch to 8 inch range.

The enhanced low end is just an added bonus of the way the mic is designed.

I especially enjoy the extra low end extension you get from adding in a beautifully designed Jensen output transformer to the Greyhound.

Its truthfully a great tool in the box because when you throw the Greyhound up on voiceover, the talent enjoys the fact that they don't need to be close mic'd for emphasis. Thus it results in smoother top end with less chance for sibilance and yet you still retain the bass that people often associate with close micing.

I'd love to hear one with a ADK GK67!

Peace
Illumination
📝 Reply