The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
JLM Baby Animal Rocks on Kick and Snare (Sound Clip)
Old 31st August 2010
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years

I attached a clip below. Little bit of compression on the mix buss (kick excluded) and eq. Ambience is just the tracking room.

SM57 snare, B52 kick

The bulk of what you are hearing is the close mics. Just a touch of HH (451e api) and OH (KM84x2 api) for glue.

I never really used these Baby Animals on kick and snare, but they do something nice with the impact.

Just thought I'd share....
Attached Files

baby animal kick and snare.mp3 (282.9 KB, 2478 views)

Old 31st August 2010
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years

What input transformer and opamp do you have in the BA? And do you have output transformers?

I've got a BA2 with OEP262A3C, JLM99v and JLM output transformer.

Guess I'll have to try it on snare and kick soon

Jon
Old 31st August 2010 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumslut ➑️
What input transformer and opamp do you have in the BA? And do you have output transformers?

I've got a BA2 with OEP262A3C, JLM99v and JLM output transformer.

Guess I'll have to try it on snare and kick soon

Jon
Both of my baby animals have the JLM 1:4, JLM99V, and an output transformer thats a clone of the one in an API 312.

I'd like to hear them with some Neve 1073 style carnhill transformers. I bet it would sound cool.
I've heard nice things about the OEP262A3C.
Old 31st August 2010
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
JLM Baby Animal clip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slap Back ➑️
I attached a clip below. Little bit of compression on the mix buss (kick excluded) and eq. Ambience is just the tracking room.

SM57 snare, B52 kick

The bulk of what you are hearing is the close mics. Just a touch of HH (451e api) and OH (KM84x2 api) for glue.

I never really used these Baby Animals on kick and snare, but they do something nice with the impact.

Just thought I'd share....
Just so I'm clear, you've got 5 mics on the kit total? Sounds really nice and full and I like the transients and the way they are popping through. Just out of curiosity, how big is your room? Sounds fairly large judging by the clip.

Thanks for sharing!
Old 1st September 2010 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Cat ➑️
Just so I'm clear, you've got 5 mics on the kit total? Sounds really nice and full and I like the transients and the way they are popping through. Just out of curiosity, how big is your room? Sounds fairly large judging by the clip.

Thanks for sharing!
You bet!
Yes, 5 mics on the kit- the 2 overheads and the 1 hi hat are hipassed at about 200 cycles. I do have mics on 2 toms but they are gated and obviously not part of the clip..

I think the BA's are partly responsible for the transients...api's on kick and snare sound similar and good too, but they just don't bite as sweetly as the JLM.

The room is not overly large- 10'Wx12'Lx7'H -heavy drywall/concrete construction, empty, and no absorbtion (besides my clothes!)

Earplugs are an absolute must in there-even under the headphones!
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Hi Slap Back,

That sounds really good! Hey is there any chance you could post some pics of the room/setup? I was very surprised when I saw the dimensions. It gives me more hope because I am in a similar sized room with drums and any visuals are appreciated.

Thanks!
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpbait ➑️
Hi Slap Back,

That sounds really good! Hey is there any chance you could post some pics of the room/setup? I was very surprised when I saw the dimensions. It gives me more hope because I am in a similar sized room with drums and any visuals are appreciated.

Thanks!
+ 1 thumbsup
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I've got a ba4.. all with the jlm input and output tyranny, two channels with 99v opamps and two channels with the hybrids..

I find them pretty awesome on everything I've tried them on so far.. my only issue with them is that I've only got 4 channels..
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Visuals

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpbait ➑️
Hi Slap Back,

Thanks!
Visuals are good! Note: The U47FET on the kick and 414's on the toms are not used in the sound clip.

The ****tier the room looks, the better it sounds....especially with JLM Baby Animals on kick and snare!
Attached Thumbnails
JLM Baby Animal Rocks on Kick and Snare (Sound Clip)-kit-1.jpg   JLM Baby Animal Rocks on Kick and Snare (Sound Clip)-kit-2.jpg   JLM Baby Animal Rocks on Kick and Snare (Sound Clip)-kit-3.jpg   JLM Baby Animal Rocks on Kick and Snare (Sound Clip)-kit-4.jpg   JLM Baby Animal Rocks on Kick and Snare (Sound Clip)-kit-5.jpg  

JLM Baby Animal Rocks on Kick and Snare (Sound Clip)-kit-6.jpg   JLM Baby Animal Rocks on Kick and Snare (Sound Clip)-kit-7.jpg   JLM Baby Animal Rocks on Kick and Snare (Sound Clip)-kit-8.jpg   JLM Baby Animal Rocks on Kick and Snare (Sound Clip)-jlm-ba.jpg  
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Big drum sounds in small room with NO treatment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slap Back ➑️
Visuals are good! Note: The U47FET on the kick and 414's on the toms are not used in the sound clip.

The ****tier the room looks, the better it sounds....especially with JLM Baby Animals on kick and snare!
WOW! I'm thoroughly impressed. I can't believe you got such a natural and thick drum sound in a room with absolutely NO treatment! Amazing dude!.....
Old 2nd September 2010 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Yes that is very impressive! Thanks again for sharing!

Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Thanks a lot Slap Back.... Really amazing.... That room sound really cool without treatment...

Really cool

Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Anytime-its my pleasure...thanks everyone for all of the kind remarks!

πŸ“ Reply