The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
FOCAL CMS 50 Warning!!!
Old 29th December 2016
Lsv
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
TL;DR - Focals really do sound amazing, they are very forgiving in placement, and I love them for these qualities. I just wish their QA was better.

Hi,

I wanted to follow up on my pair of CMS 40 speakers.

Sorry this took so long to reply, I moved apartments and was unable to get a comparable setup in order to test the speaker. It would be unfair to arbitrarily test them after just moving in, considering my previous space as small as it was, did have some acoustic treatment applied.

I went into my vendor's location (Moog Audio in Toronto) to retrieve the repaired speaker but it was damn near impossible to ensure any work was done on the speaker. There were people playing with synths and so on, I came back a few days after and it was still a bit loud. However, the speaker sounded OK.

After getting settled and giving the speakers a proper test I found that the buzz was gone. It now sounds very much, or close enough, to the sister speaker. There's a slight hollow sound when I crank the repaired speaker, but I can live with that versus the buzz, which was very annoying.

So right now this speaker is repaired. It took a while, but I am good with the repair job. I do wish it went out of the factory as it is now, and I probably won't purchase any Focals going forward, and I do not think their QA is very good, considering I sent a video of the issue, and it came back the first time with the same issue. However, they did make good, and I am a happy owner.

I have to confess that I did send my vendor a fairly mean feedback email, perhaps I was under duress that I had to move, and that I had limited time to test the speaker. I can't find the email to respond and say everything is fine. However, I did receive a good amount of push back, requiring me to record the video of the speaker exhibiting the buzz, in order to get the RMA the first and the second time. So, while it was made good, I may not necessarily visit that store going forward.

Cheers!
Old 29th December 2016 | Show parent
Lsv
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofrq ➡️
Actually the customer service has been pretty crap.

Perhaps I'm in a bit of an odd position because I live in the Netherlands and I bought the SM9's from an online store in Germany.

Focal (based in France) want me to deal with a German distributor (because apparently there isn't a Dutch one) instead of directly with them and the German distributor want me to send the speaker back to the online store (located in another part of Germany) and the store will have to send it back to the distributor who will then pass it back to Focal.

Thing is, one of these SM9's weighs 35kilos so its not going to be an easy or quick post to move the damn thing around, so the damn thing is gonna travel more around Europe than I have.

I dunno how customer service is in the US but that seems ridiculous to me for an item that costs a few thousand euros, particularly their flagship product.
I reached out to Focal directly and they said work with my vendor. So it appears you can only work with a vendor. I suppose this is no different than other products as it usually depends on the brand you are buying.

For example, some big box retailers sell large appliances, however, once you buy it from them issues are usually resolved with the appliance maker, no the big box retailer.

It's kind of nice that, at the least, you just have to ship to the German vendor, and not Focal proper - it saves a few bucks (or euros)...
Old 16th February 2017
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Im not believing what distributors tell us today, there are not doing any more the sub for CMS so if you want a sub to make a 2.1 system you have to buy Sub6, a sub wich increases his price in 900.-€ over the CMS one.

For me this doesnt have any sense and im very disappointed with this company...

Even if you search in his website for the CMS sub they are there with photos, descriptions and all that stuff... But the dont make them any more.

So why still this photos and descriptions about a product that you dont make anymore?

http://www.focal.com/en/pro-audio/mo...woofer/cms-sub

Fortunatly i found last demo unit from an italian shop.

No words
Old 15th February 2021
Here for the gear
Bonjour,
J ai voulu commander un transformateur pour les cms50
Bhein ca n existe plus
Merci focal!!
📝 Reply