19 Votes - 1.74%
Other
107 Votes - 9.77%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1095. You may not vote on this poll

Old 1st August 2010
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
DAW Poll Who's using what in 2010?

There's been quite a lot of changes recently with DAW so I thought it would be a good time to do an update on the stats in 2010.

It is multiple choice - if for example you mainly use Pro Tools HD for recording but use logic for midi? Please choose only the DAW's you use regularly! to keep this as accurate as poss

Please note I am splitting up Pro Tool and Steinberg into two categories because they both have different level products. And I'm only listing what IMO are the mainstream DAW. If your DAW is not there please forgive me and choose 'Other'
Old 1st August 2010
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years

You'll have to excuse me, but I can't include Logic Pro 9 in others.
Old 1st August 2010 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by phas3d ➑️
You'll to excuse me, but I can't include Logic Pro 9 in others.
Just choose Logic Pro becuase I can't list all the version for example I use Nuendo 4 but not Nuendo 5

Cheers
Old 1st August 2010
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years

Will do.
Old 1st August 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Where is Digital Performer?????????
Old 2nd August 2010 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiogal ➑️
Where is Digital Performer?????????
Sorry I did choose to leave that DAW out for this poll as well as Acid Pro, Tracktion, Record, Soundtrack Pro and a few others. However I will tally up the results at the end and also take into account anyone that wants to add their DAW as a Post by NOT choosing 'Other' in the poll.

Just put Digital Performer +1
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I am looking at DP hard right now...
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I don't wanna offend, but I've noticed something:

I would guess the large majority of guys here never do any professional post-prodution/video stuff. Yet a suprisingly high number of people seems to use Nuendo, not Cubase. If you only do composing/recording/mixing, wouldn't that be money out the window since version 4? Is Nuendo more pro?

(BTW, I'm not speaking exclusively from the results in this poll, it's the impression I get from reading all kinds of threads.)

Sven
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svenarne ➑️

I would guess the large majority of guys here never do any professional post-prodution/video stuff. Yet a suprisingly high number of people seems to use Nuendo, not Cubase. If you only do composing/recording/mixing, wouldn't that be money out the window since version 4? Is Nuendo more pro?

(BTW, I'm not speaking exclusively from the results in this poll, it's the impression I get from reading all kinds of threads.)

Sven
Nuendo is Cubase essentially. Difference is the in the surround aspect of the soft. Everything else is pretty much the same.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Nuendo is Cubase essentially. Difference is the in the surround aspect of the soft. Everything else is pretty much the same.
I would say surround belongs pretty much to post-production these days. And it's three times the price! Is it cooler to say you use Nuendo? Or is it mainly because most Nuendo users started out back when it was more professionally featured compared to Cubase, and have just upgraded ever since?

Sven
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Sven
Hey a little off the topic for the poll but to try to answer your question and I can speak from experience. I use Nuendo 4 and I am a professional audio Post Company. I use Nuendo over Cubase because it IS a fantastic Audio Post DAW. The latest version 5 has even more been upgraded with Audio Post in mind with extra tools for ADR film editing... However as for "professional" Cubase is fantastic especially for composing and recording tracks. There have been many debates about is Nuendo the flag ship product of Steinberg over Cubase. IMO it is but that a very long debate for another day
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
DP7 +1
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I think its cooler to be a Nuendo user because it's more expensive. I truly believe it was a marketing error on the part of Steinberg. People are paying more and not necessarily getting that much more from the deal. Sadly Yamaha bought Steinberg and didn't change this.
Hei, but I'm a Logic user. And for me there is no better value for money deal than Logic.
But will not go into which soft is the best. Everyone swears the one they're using is. I know i've used most and made my decision. Plus this kind of discussions never bring anything useful.
Lives for gear

88 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Record
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Sorry mate but that's not correct Cubase is surround sound. Nuendo and Cubase are NOT the same there are features in both products that are the same but alos features that the other doesn't have. The official spin we have been given from the company is that Cubase is for Music and Nuendo is for Post. FYI Don't don't agree with that statement.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
DP here as well... been on 4 for ages, going to go to 7 this week (or next week).
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMedia ➑️
Hey a little off the topic for the poll but to try to answer your question and I can speak from experience. I use Nuendo 4 and I am a professional audio Post Company. I use Nuendo over Cubase because it IS a fantastic Audio Post DAW. The latest version 5 has even more been upgraded with Audio Post in mind with extra tools for ADR film editing... However as for "professional" Cubase is fantastic especially for composing and recording tracks. There have been many debates about is Nuendo the flag ship product of Steinberg over Cubase. IMO it is but that a very long debate for another day
Thanks for the info! I don't for a second doubt that a post production pro like yourself has very good reasons for choosing Nuendo. But I get the impression the Nuendo user base seems to include a high number of people only doing recording/mixing, although those generally seem to be running out of commercial studios. Cubase seems to me more associated with home studios. There is no reason why it should be so, or what?

Sven

EDIT: Running out of commercial studios? Can I say that in English? I don't mean literally, of course, I mean running their business from a commercial studio. Me no speak English...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Sorry mate but that's not correct Cubase is surround sound. Nuendo and Cubase are NOT the same there are features in both products that are the same but alos features that the other doesn't have. The official spin we have been given from the company is that Cubase is for Music and Nuendo is for Post. FYI Don't don't agree with that statement.
Nuendo as you know has more tools an plug-ins oriented for surround. The core of both softs is the same. Nuendo wasn't built from scratch. It was built upon Cubase. They are products oriented for different markets. But i stand for what i said. The basis of both is the same and the difference in price tag is too steep.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thanks for the info! I don't for a second doubt that a post production pro like yourself has very good reasons for choosing Nuendo. But I get the impression the Nuendo user base seems to include a high number of people only doing recording/mixing, although those generally seem to be running out of commercial studios. Cubase seems to me more associated with home studios. There is no reason why it should be so, or what?

Sven

EDIT: Running out of commercial studios? Can I say that in English? I don't mean literally, of course, I mean running their business from a commercial studio. Me no speak English...
Well I completely agree with you because if you are composing recording mixing then Cubase is awesome but! and its a big BUT and one that Steinberg/Yamaha refuss to admit. You said it yourself Cubase is seen as Home Studio just like Pro Tools LE. Even though its prob a lot more advance than PTLE and I'd be putting it next to Logic as the only other choice for Midi. But Nuendo is "seen" as the professional tool even though they have similar feature. BTW you can get ALL the missing features in Nuendo if you puchase the NEK package that give you full midi fuctions.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Disclaimer: I'm NOT endorsing Nuendo Steinberg or anyone else for that matter so lets keep on track with the poll. I was a Pro Tools user and mover to Nuendo. People have there reason why they choose to use a DAW over another its what ever works best.
Old 2nd August 2010
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Protools has taken the lead with 21 votes with Steinberg at 18 votes hot on its heels and Logic coming up in third? the rest are back in the pack
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I strongly suspect that both Reaper and Logic will pull away in this poll. No hope for my beloved SONAR, I'm afraid...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I see Logic Pro is increasing in popularity still. I remember the outcry of the userbase when Apple snatched Logic over to mac. Good to see it prosper. The userbase back on v 5.5 wasn't a fraction of what it is today. Still have Logic v5 LE on CD somewhere here, which I got when I purchased one of my former audio interfaces.

But I'm raising my eyebrows at Nuendo as well. The differences are a peripheral few number of technical things, that is aimed towards dedicated usage - like 10:2 surround, direct access to FTP database, more specific video options, RS-422 sync support etc; an extra menu option here and there.

The biggest difference is that Nuendo costs more than 3 times Cubase price, so unless you're Jack Sparrow of the internet you don't get Nuendo unless you have a definitive need for one of those things that Nuendo offers over Cubase. And basically, you don't have use for those things if you're in anything less than a full size studio environment.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
+1 Digital Performer 7.2

Bryant - Hames Music
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Pro Tools is still leading but to be honest I did think it would be A LOT further ahead than it is. Logic is doing very very well considering its only on a Mac Steinberg has slowed down a little but respectfully in second place for now.

It's funny how Pro Tools people say 99% of all professional studios use PT "Yawn!" the Poll is starting to suggest otherwise.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Pro Tools is still leading but to be honest I did think it would be A LOT further ahead than it is. Logic is doing very very well considering its only on a Mac Steinberg has slowed down a little but respectfully in second place for now.

It's funny how Pro Tools people say 99% of all professional studios use PT "Yawn!" the Poll is starting to suggest otherwise.
If you do consider that professional studios use Protools HD and Nuendo not their counter parts, I think Logic is ahead. Actually this past week I installed and demoed a Logic on a studio that uses Protools HD(because some clients demand it) and Nuendo(their main choice). The engineer was so overwhelmed by it that the studio is going to use Logic from now on and he's going to buy a Mac for himself because of it. I don't get any commission on any sale(unfortunately).
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I really think Logic is taking over and has been around long enough that if they could bring it around a bit it would be the new standard. Just fix some of those ram bugs and give us real editing like protools and it's done. pretty simple.. Logic 9 just pushed me over the edge after being a protools user for 10 years and it's lack of any development in hardware making me not want to buy any hd system and the le software is well we all know.

If you are a protools use give it about 3-5 months with Logic and that's just about the learning cure and you'll be hooked.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm currently using Nuendo but I am migrating to Reaper.
I'm tired of paying Steiny and being treated as default like a criminal.

I voted Reaper.
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Reaper.
The most inspiring thing I came across in years. To me, there is no looking back.
Highly recomended.
Great company, great attitude, great forum.
The program just works, and the developers are constantly listening to the users, trying to make the product better.
Since video capabilities improved, itΒ΄s the best option in my opinion.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yea this is not true anymore. Since cubase 5 offers a lot more functionality for music production and editing.

I used Nuendo 3 until cubase 5 came out.
πŸ“ Reply