Quantcast
Best mixing headphones! - Page 182 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best mixing headphones!
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Anyone using the HD650 with a Babyface Pro FS? How are the results, and is there any significant benefit to adding an external amp? Any other interfaces excel at driving these?

I sold off my whole studio to move internationally, and I'm going to need to lean heavily on phones after the move. I will be buying a new interface, but already have the 650.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco1Disco2 ➡️
Anyone using the HD650 with a Babyface Pro FS? How are the results, and is there any significant benefit to adding an external amp? Any other interfaces excel at driving these?

I sold off my whole studio to move internationally, and I'm going to need to lean heavily on phones after the move. I will be buying a new interface, but already have the 650.
Hey there! I recently recommended the 650, and the Babyface Pro FS, to a fellow mix engineer. Before he bought the interface, I had recommended him the JDS Atom amp, for his 650s. He told me that while he thought the new Babyface drove the 650s just fine, he still preferred the sound of the Atom amp, using the Babyface as the DAC.

-TKB
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKosherButcher ➡️
Hey there! I recently recommended the 650, and the Babyface Pro FS, to a fellow mix engineer. Before he bought the interface, I had recommended him the JDS Atom amp, for his 650s. He told me that while he thought the new Babyface drove the 650s just fine, he still preferred the sound of the Atom amp, using the Babyface as the DAC.

-TKB
Thanks! I’d read about the JDS, and the price is right. Shipping make take a while, but that’s fine. Did your friend prefer it because of an objective improvement in response, or did the amp color the sound to be more euphonic?
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
An ongoing 182-page thread entitled "Best mixing headphones" makes me think there is no "best", because no two pairs of ears are alike and headphones that work best for me may not work for you. The fact that Beyerdynamic and Sennheiser are both hugely popular brands despite having vastly different tonal balance supports that claim.

At this point I think my quest is over. Rather than trying to find the perfect dozen (see video at the bottom), I think it's better to just use DSP (e.g. Sonarworks) to correct my cans and finally apply some EQ to suit my particular ears. The only key requirement is that the cans need to be able to take EQ without distorting, in other words, they need to have low harmonic distortion. Shortlist a few cans that meet this requirement and then all that's left to worry about is the superficial stuff, namely:
  • wearing comfort and ergonomics
  • looks and design
  • build quality
  • serviceability and spares availability
  • included accessories
  • price (in my case I don't a good pair of headphones should cost more than €500)
  • ... and anything else that you view as adding value to the product
Complement it with a Subpac or DIY bass transducer and you have a perfect headphone-based mixing system.

Last edited by Scoox; 1 day ago at 09:46 PM..
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoox ➡️
An ongoing 182-page thread entitled "Best mixing headphones" makes me think there is no "best", because no two pairs of ears are alike and headphones that work best for me may not work for you.
That's crazy talk. There's my opinion and the wrong one.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

-TKB
I use the 650 and atom combo, and it’s very nice! I don’t do a whole lot of mixing, but it’s great for listening and getting tones for recording, as well!
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Here are the cans I want to try soon, based on the portions of this thread that aren't Sennheiser + software:

Audio Technica M50, M50x, M70x, R70x

Beyerdynamic DT770, 880, 990

Shure 1540, 1840

Sony 7520

EDIT: Also, I need to hear the Austrian Audio models.

Current: Sony 7506 + AT M40x + Senny HD558 (still has foam in "unmodded") combo.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoox ➡️
An ongoing 182-page thread entitled "Best mixing headphones" makes me think there is no "best"...
You know, I just checked back into this thread just now - after ignoring it for several years - and I was about to ask if the "winner" had been declared yet. Or how about a "consensus"? No? How about a 'short list'?

Darn.

Your post has the ring of truth, but obviously not what I was hoping to hear.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco1Disco2 ➡️
Thanks! I’d read about the JDS, and the price is right. Shipping make take a while, but that’s fine. Did your friend prefer it because of an objective improvement in response, or did the amp color the sound to be more euphonic?
Great question! I went back and asked him! He said the difference was incredibly small, and that he got just a tiny bit more power, and euphonia, from the Atom amp, but he repeatedly stressed how small of a difference it is. He wasn't saying that the Atom was any less accurate, though. He also stressed that if he were on the road, he would absolutely trust the output of the Babyface Pro to do a full mix on.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Great question! I went back and asked him! He said the difference was incredibly small, and that he got just a tiny bit more power, and euphonia, from the Atom amp, but he repeatedly stressed how small of a difference it is. He wasn't saying that the Atom was any less accurate, though. He also stressed that if he were on the road, he would absolutely trust the output of the Babyface Pro to do a full mix on.
Excellent! Thank you.
📝 Reply